Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Aluminum Frame for heavy rider

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 10:32 AM
GFerg66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Howdy Ya'll, new member here.
I'm about 300 lbs and starting to try riding again after being idle for some years.
I have an older Specialized Hardrock that I setup for road use a few years ago and it rides excellent, the frame seems plenty strong enough for my weight, although the bike is a couple of inches too tall for me.
I have also acquired Gary Fisher Marlin that fits my height better. I was wondering if the aluminum frame handle my weight as well as the steel frame would. I don't want to put any time into fixing it up if its going to buckle under me after a few miles.
Anyone know the weight limit on this bike or have any general opinions on aluminum bikes?
Thanks
Old 04-20-21, 12:13 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Aluminum frames dominate the mid-priced bike market. Why? Because manufacturers like to keep their frame warranty replacement numbers low.

Carbon frames are coming down in price but still cost more than aluminum frames for a given quality level. Steel frames are heavier than aluminum at comparable levels of reliability. The lightness of aluminum means that manufacturers can "overbuild" frames for strength and reliability without a significant weight penalty.

That said, all three frame materials can give adequate or better service. Wheel strength is a much hotter topic in the Clydesdale/Athena forum.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-20-21, 02:09 PM
GFerg66

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank You for your response. I think that answers my question.
I'll start working on it this weekend.
Likes For GFerg66:
Old 04-20-21, 04:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I’m well beyond the 200 lb range. I have owned several aluminum bikes for various applications and still own some. I have a touring bike that is used for load road touring...me and up to 60 lb of gear...with 10,000 miles heavily ladened miles on it. No issues. My commuter bike is a aluminum cyclocross bike with close to 25,000 miles on it with no issues. It carries less load but has more miles. Two of my mountain bikes are aluminum and they get pounded hard...and those aren’t “mid range” bikes.

Aluminum is up to the task.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-25-21, 06:44 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I was 385 and rode a Cannondale aluminum frame road bike with no problems.
Likes For dfritch:
Old 04-30-21, 12:41 AM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm right where you are weight-wise, and ride aluminum frames, both road and mountain, without any problems. rear wheels will take the majority of the abuse, and may require replacement, but that's probably about it. Just use quality components and keep it tuned/trued, and you'll get may happy miles out of it.

Andy
Old 04-30-21, 09:42 AM
GFerg66

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for feedback y’all. I feel much better about this bike. Now I just need to find time to actually ride it