Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" disc non thru-axle touring bike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-20-21, 07:50 PM
gr_hodder@yahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to buy a Surly Disc Trucker for years. Now they have thru-axles. I want to use quick release wheels on my touring bike.
I can't find a touring bike like this.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 04-20-21, 10:09 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Do you already have a wheelset you want to use or a specific hub you've decided to build a wheelset around?

I'd imagine some shops may still have stock with the older disc trucker models. But why do you want quick release?
Old 04-21-21, 02:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
There are several options out there. Do some research. But hurry, when the bike industry jumps on a new idea, each manufacturer is afraid of looking like they are being left behind so they all follow. Most people on this forum are from USA, I assume you are too.

Specifically for 26 inch quick release, Co-Motion Pangea. That is a pricy option but is still an option.

Or look in the UK, Thorn Sherpa sold as complete bike or as frame and fork. I built up my Sherpa over a decade ago. I bought my frame and fork used from someone in Canada. Shipping from UK for a new frame and fork can be pricy, but I bought my Thorn Nomad Mk II that way, very happy with it. Both of these are quick release 26 inch.

I have no idea if the touring bike companies in continental Europe like Santos or Koga still make 26 inch bikes or not, there might be others in Europe too.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-21-21 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-21-21, 01:01 PM
gr_hodder@yahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Thorn Sherpa doesn't use disc brakes. Thanks for telling me about the Co-Motion Pangea., I hadn't seen that one yet. You were right about it being pricey.
Old 04-21-21, 02:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by gr_hodder@yahoo
A Thorn Sherpa doesn't use disc brakes. ....
Oops, sorry. I was only focused on the 26 inch and thru axle. For some reason I thought that they added disc capability when they redesigned the frame a few years ago.

I bought mine used over a decade ago, mine is an earlier version of the frame.
Old 04-21-21, 02:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

The Surly Troll was only recently discontinued. I would not be surprised if every one has been sold considering the bike and parts shortages over the past year, but you might get lucky if you looked.

And there always is Ebay.
Old 04-22-21, 06:12 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
A Thorn Sherpa doesn't use disc brakes. Thanks for telling me about the Co-Motion Pangea., I hadn't seen that one yet. You were right about it being pricey.
shouldn't really be a dealbreaker.
v-brakes set up properly with quality pads are just as effective as
disks at stopping a bike.
Old 04-22-21, 07:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Just curious, why the preference for disc and also quick release?

I have a disc brake on the rear on one bike, everything else I have is rim brake. And my disc is quick release. The frame I bought could be quick release or thru axle, I chose quick release, that was four years ago and I wanted to stay with what was common at that time. I am perfectly happy with quick release and disc, but I have not owned through axle so do not have experience with it.

The reason I ask is that there is a perceived disadvantage with quick release by a lot of people that have trouble putting their wheels in straight in the frame. And the manufacturers perceived a problem with wheels falling out with quick release and discs. So, theoretically, everyone that has disc is supposed to want thru axle based on what I see and hear.

But other than my own experience which was a choice I made four years ago, I am not seeing anyone say they want quick release with disc. If I had to make that choice today, I am not sure which I would choose.

The bike I have with a disc in rear is 700c, there are two small screws that hold each dropout in the frame, that is how they made a frame that is either quick release or thru axle, the thru axle version is shown here:

This photo above is from manufacturer website, not my bike.
Old 04-22-21, 10:06 AM
gr_hodder@yahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already have the wheels
Old 05-02-21, 07:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Ah that makes sense then. In that case how about buying a frameset? A google search for "surly disc trucker frameset" turns up some in 26" quick release. Not sure what frame size you need but there seems to be at least a few sizes available. You should probably act fast if you find one in your size and it is what you want.

If that fails you could start shopping for used on ebay.

Worst case, sell your wheels and buy a thru axle bike.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-02-21 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-02-21, 07:37 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But other than my own experience which was a choice I made four years ago, I am not seeing anyone say they want quick release with disc. If I had to make that choice today, I am not sure which I would choose.
I have quick release on my only disc brake bike (a mountain bike) and find them okay, but today I'd opt for thru axle if I had a choice unless I wanted to use existing wheels or frame that were quick release or maybe just got a great deal on a bike that was quick release.
Old 05-02-21, 08:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

There are a lot of 1990s vintage mountain bikes that are quick release, have the same hub dropout spacing of 135mm in back as most modern quick release touring bikes, steel frames, etc. Some people have converted such bikes into nice touring rigs. Chain stays might be a bit short but that does not impair the bike that much from being useable for touring.

Most would lack the front rack mounting points, over the years there have work arounds or alternative racks for that. If you wanted front panniers, that might be the biggest hurdle if you went that route.

There have been some threads on converting older mountain bikes to touring on this forum in the past. For example, my errand bike is an old 90s Bridgestone MB-6 mountain bike, 26 inch wheels, it could be a good touring bike. But I am not going to part with it, so do not get your hopes too high. I only mention that as an example of what is out there, I bought it at a garage sale for $5 USD. Took about $50 in parts and a couple days of time to make it a good running errand bike.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have quick release on my only disc brake bike (a mountain bike) and find them okay, but today I'd opt for thru axle if I had a choice unless I wanted to use existing wheels or frame that were quick release or maybe just got a great deal on a bike that was quick release.
I have several bikes that I ride, trying to keep parts interchangeability as best as I can. All but one of my bikes use eight speed chains, four that share the same 11/32 eight speed Sram cassette. At this point in time I have pretty much decided that if I built up another bike, I would likely stick with a 3X8 system if it had a derailleur drivetrain. And quick release. I bought my road bike as a complete bike, so that is the exception, it has a 2X10 Campy drivetrain, thus the parts on that are completely incompatible with everything else I have.

I do not have a mountain bike, but my expedition Rohloff bike can take a 100mm suspension fork. I used that for a couple of mountain bike trips including White Rim. But for touring I use the solid front fork.

I know this is blasphemy, but at this time I do not have any reason to buy or build up another bike. That said, I am sure that I will be pilloried on this board for that saying that.
Old 05-02-21, 04:56 PM
gr_hodder@yahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really just needed to know if anyone knew about touring bikes that use 26" quick release disc brake wheels.
Finding something used or discontinued is almost impossible.
All I've found is the very expensive Co motion Pangea, and the No dealers in America Ridgeback Expedition.
Anyone know about any others?
Old 05-02-21, 06:23 PM
Jwhite_00

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The REI CO-OP ADV 1.1 bike has hollow axles with a funky allen wrench operated skewer that could be replaced with a quick-release skewer. I believe some of their frames were available with 26" wheels.
Old 05-08-21, 03:09 AM
Palmer

Bikes: Dawes Double Blue, Vision R-42 SWB, Bacchetta Giro, Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Washoe, Holdsworth Special, Gitane Champion du Monde, Bob Jackson World Tour, Bianchi Professional, Nashbar C/Tour

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's the Gunnar Rock Tour, but it's almost as expensive as the Co-Motion.
Old 05-09-21, 06:51 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Can pre-order a Bassi Hog's Back, takes 26", 650B, 700c wheels:

https://www.clcycle.ca/en/complet-ba...k-sporter.html

https://www.clcycle.ca/en/cadre-four...rame-fork.html

I have one, love it. I paid zero import duty from Canada to US.
Old 05-09-21, 01:52 PM
gr_hodder@yahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bassi Hog sounds good. Thanks