Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 04-03-21, 09:22 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
Old 04-13-21, 11:32 AM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Here's mine, an old 90's Hardrock Comp...

65cm Rivendell Tosco Bar

Old 04-18-21, 10:04 PM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Edward1066 I love that paint job. I've seen a few different Hard Rocks & Rock Hoppers of that particular style that folks have tricked out, and I'm always jealous that I haven't found one in my size. I dig the attention to detail with the pink, white and yellow cable housing. Great job!
Likes For munkymack:
Old 04-18-21, 11:23 PM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

This is a soon-to-be upright bar conversion, a 23.5" Specialized Hard Rock

At the local bike co-op, there have been so many donations during the pandemic that they're running out of space to store them, so they've been selling a lot of bikes off whole rather than breaking them down for the parts bins.

I spotted this huge steed in the pile, and picked it up for $40, which also includes digging rights to upgrade whatever I want. So it's going to be a parts bin special, apart from one or two special touches I've got in mind. A buddy dubbed it "The Black Prince" and the name has definitely inspired some of my thinking. Here's the before:

23.5" Specialized Hard Rock. I'm not sure of the year. I've looked through all the catalogs, and most of the Hard Rocks have the model name on the down tube and Specialized on the top tube, whereas this one is switched.

So far I've swapped out the saddle and pedals with stock ones I took off my wife's Marin step-through when I upgraded her stuff. They're probably just placeholders, but were absolutely necessary to take it on a good shakedown ride. As for the rest of the parts, here's what I've got on hand or on order:

- Shimano Deerhead Gruppo (a buddy took them off his Ross Mt. Whitney when he changed it over to a 1x, and doesn't want them to go to waste, so he's gifting them to me)
- 26" Simworks x Panaracer Homage tires (with slime tubes so it's indestructible)
- 1" - 1 1/8" threadless adapter
- Kool Stop pads

I spotted a silver Deore triple in the parts bin when I was last at the workshop, so I'll probably add those. I want to put some scrambler / klunker style bars on this - likely silver to match the gruppo and the cranks - so I've been considering the VO klunker bars (when they come back in stock), but I've also been super inspired by some of the builds BicycleSafari has shown off, so I'm hoping he can point me in the direction of his preferred scrambler bars and stem.

Eventually I'm sure I'll get to the point where I've swapped out everything but the frame...and then maybe I'll swap out the frame as well, if I come across an upgrade that's also gigantic.

I showed my wife the custom paint jobs posted by Crankstank, and she's currently on Pinterest looking at other custom jobs...so she may be adding to this as well. Right now we're leaning towards a black / silver / forest green color scheme. I'll be cranking on it over the next few weeks, so hopefully there will be a followup post soon.
Old 04-19-21, 08:34 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward1066

Lovely execution. My mind went straight to Stumpjumper instead of Hardrock, forcing me to do a double-take. This is late 80's: '89 to be precise.

Likes For Clang:
Old 04-19-21, 02:18 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Edward1066 , are those grips the Ergon GC1 BioKork? Do you find the grip's curve is sufficient for the sweep of those Nitto Tosco bars?
Old 04-19-21, 03:26 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Edward1066 , are those grips the Ergon GC1 BioKork? Do you find the grip's curve is sufficient for the sweep of those Nitto Tosco bars?
I think they're about right. Comfortable on a 6 hour ride this weekend.
Old 04-19-21, 03:28 PM
Edward1066

Originally Posted by munkymack
Edward1066 I love that paint job. I've seen a few different Hard Rocks & Rock Hoppers of that particular style that folks have tricked out, and I'm always jealous that I haven't found one in my size. I dig the attention to detail with the pink, white and yellow cable housing. Great job!
I'm really with how it rides. Wish it was one size larger, but those are extremely rare. Thanks!
Old 04-19-21, 04:20 PM
munkymack

I'm really with how it rides. Wish it was one size larger, but those are extremely rare. Thanks!
Trust me, I know! My 23.5" Hard Rock was a needle in a haystack. It's almost like tall folks were ostracized from mountain biking in the 90s.
Likes For munkymack:
Old 04-20-21, 06:57 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 399 Posts
I put many miles on the same model and same color Hardrock Comp.

I eventually did an at home repaint to a burgundy color.

That paint got scratched up from lots of use.

That 21.5" frame is hanging in my garage.
It's a fine riding and tough frame that could take whatever I called on it to do.

I measured the frame and fork weight at the time which if memory serves came in at 8.00 lbs total which was just 1/2 lbs. or perhaps a bit less difference in my Rockhopper of the same era.

Enjoy and safe riding!
Old 04-20-21, 01:37 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
What did you use for the seat binder bolt? I want to do the same thing and have the old heavy quick release.

Originally Posted by scubaman

~30 year old Trek 930 rescued from the trash in an alley in Minneapolis, repainted “Illusion Money” powdercoat, set up with 1x 10 speed with a Jones riser loop bar and René Herse Rat Trap Pass 26 x 2.3” tires. The bike feels light, responsive, and smooth!
Old 04-20-21, 02:02 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
What did you use for the seat binder bolt? I want to do the same thing and have the old heavy quick release.
I use something like this 6 x 50mm seatpost binder from Dimension: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ils.php?id=918

In principle, you could use an M6 bolt of appropriate length from the hardware store. I like the part that the bolt head sits within on the Dimension product. What I don’t like is the aluminum nut, because I’ve had the threads of an aluminum seatpost binder strip out. (On a ride! Ugh.) So I use a stainless nut with a flanged base, plus a washer, from the hardware store.
Likes For scubaman:
Old 04-21-21, 05:03 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
I use something like this 6 x 50mm seatpost binder from Dimension: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ils.php?id=918

In principle, you could use an M6 bolt of appropriate length from the hardware store. I like the part that the bolt head sits within on the Dimension product. What I don’t like is the aluminum nut, because I’ve had the threads of an aluminum seatpost binder strip out. (On a ride! Ugh.) So I use a stainless nut with a flanged base, plus a washer, from the hardware store.
Thank you much!
Old 04-21-21, 05:47 PM
munkymack

Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
Last summer I hopped the border to pick up this bike from a Canadian gentleman.
What's the stem you have on this? I've got cantilever brakes, and I love the clean lines of the built-in cable stop.
Old 04-21-21, 06:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

65cm Rivendell Tosco Bar

at the risk of coming off like a critical chump, your bar grips are reversed. the wider portion is supposed to face inward to rest your palm on. of course, it's however you like it.
Old 04-22-21, 06:03 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
at the risk of coming off like a critical chump, your bar grips are reversed. the wider portion is supposed to face inward to rest your palm on. of course, it's however you like it.
Ummm... well, I disagree. Look at the left grip. The "wing" palm-support comes inward like it is supposed to. I use these grips a lot, although never on pull-back touring bars. They make several versions: The GP1 is for straight bars, and the GC1 is for slightly swept bars. Like this:

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 04-22-21 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 10:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by DQRider
Ummm... well, I disagree. Look at the left grip. The "wing" palm-support comes inward like it is supposed to. I use these grips a lot, although never on pull-back touring bars. They make several versions: The GP1 is for straight bars, and the GC1 is for slightly swept bars. Like this:

there are TWO versions......i see!! GP1 has the wing and securing bolt same side/facing in while GC1 has them opposite!

well, from the angle in this photo it looked like the wings are facing the wrong way, but then... they're not GP1's.
you can see how i'd mix them up, though, right?
Old 04-22-21, 07:09 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
What's the stem you have on this? I've got cantilever brakes, and I love the clean lines of the built-in cable stop.
Looks like a BMX quill stem, but I don’t know which one.

One of my kids bikes has something similar.
Old 04-23-21, 10:49 AM
Edward1066

Originally Posted by thook
Check the other pics, the flanged portion is to the inside, they're GC-1's designed for swept back bars. Thanks for checking...
Old 04-23-21, 11:03 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Description is back in post #628 but I've added a basket to the front rack and a brass bell to this one.

Likes For bOsscO:
Old 04-23-21, 03:11 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
Unknown SR stem

You sure said it. I really really love the built in cable stops. I'm excited to start fabricating my own threadless stems with integrated stops. The only information on this quill stem is that it is an SR 22.2 from Japan. They were very popular on early 80's mtb/atb and I keep an eye out and pick them up whenever I see one for a decent price. Some people refer to them as "golf club head" stems, but you wont get many google hits on that. I found a link to one here
https://for-sale.yowcow.com/listing/132155476/
I've seen a few of these out there that are 0.833 (21.1) so if you do find one just double check to make sure it works for your project.
Likes For BicycleSafari:
Old 04-23-21, 03:21 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Originally Posted by bOsscO
I'm diggin this! I picked up an IBOC frame (maybe a year or two older than yours?) about a year ago after putting together a bike for a friend that had the wishbone seat stay (I got jealous) but I still haven't figured out how I want to build it up.
Likes For BicycleSafari:
Old 04-23-21, 03:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Check the other pics, the flanged portion is to the inside, they're GC-1's designed for swept back bars. Thanks for checking...
i caught that detail after he'd made the distinction between the two version of ergon grips. the flat bar version has the securing screws to the inside (which is where i was referencing from in my assessment). the swept back version has them to the outside. plus, they're generally shaped different
Likes For thook:
Old 04-23-21, 06:16 PM
munkymack

Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
You sure said it. I really really love the built in cable stops. I'm excited to start fabricating my own threadless stems with integrated stops. The only information on this quill stem is that it is an SR 22.2 from Japan. They were very popular on early 80's mtb/atb and I keep an eye out and pick them up whenever I see one for a decent price.
This was totally enough for me to go on to find some more info:

It's a stem from Sakae-Ringyo. This is what is most likely the 1983 catalog https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=58566

Likes For munkymack:
Old 04-24-21, 12:42 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

This was totally enough for me to go on to find some more info:

It's a stem from Sakae-Ringyo. This is what is most likely the 1983 catalog https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=58566

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the catalog!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.