Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-29-20, 10:06 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts

I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-29-20, 10:37 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
it's hit or miss. I attempt with a few flicks of the bell. Most of the time the rider just is too consumed into the ride that they don't pay any attention or they just try & speed up. I don't let it bother me.
Old 09-29-20, 10:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Around here, most cyclists on the road don't give a verbal warning, but do pass with plenty of space, and don't pull back in ahead till they're clear. There are a LOT of cyclists on the roads here, especially now, and I think between that and the wide berth everyone gives everyone else, the verbal warnings aren't as important as they'd be on an 8' wide MUP, for example, where to pass at 6' distance would require both riders to ride close to an edge.

I like to give a quick buzz of the freewheel when I come up behind someone, though. Let's them know someone's there, so they won't be startled when I come around. I know sometimes I've been so 'in the groove' that "On your left" or a pinging bell make me flinch big time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-29-20, 10:47 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
IMHO, the 1st and 2nd rules are mutually exclusive - I see no need for any warning if there is enough room to pass safely. (Exception would be if there are other riders in front of the rider I'm going to overtake, which he might contemplate to overtake himself.) I reckon every signal, be it a bell or verbal one, is an annoyance - a minor one, and often necessary, but still - so I try to avoid it.
Old 09-29-20, 10:49 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Personally, on the rare occasion I'm on a mixed use path, I announce depending on the individual. If someone is "holding their line" I'll pass widely to the left. If people are crowding the center of the path or being erratic I'll announce. My opinion is that there's not enough placed on slower users to maintain situational awareness, if you're on a path expect at all times you'll be passed, have your head on a swivel and don't do anything without looking. Announcing should frankly be unnecessary, after all if we're driving we don't need cars honking to tell us they are passing us.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-29-20, 10:55 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
IMHO, the 1st and 2nd rules are mutually exclusive - I see no need for any warning if there is enough room to pass safely. (Exception would be if there are other riders in front of the rider I'm going to overtake, which he might contemplate to overtake himself.) I reckon every signal, be it a bell or verbal one, is an annoyance - a minor one, and often necessary, but still - so I try to avoid it.
Fair enough. I have no disagreement with your statement. If a cyclist passes me without crowding me and doesn't announce then that's fine. What I don't understand is why a cyclist with plenty of space to pass thinks it's OK to crowd me. That's when it becomes annoying.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-29-20, 11:01 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I always follow your 2 and 3. I don't like to go near anyone due to covid so that keeps me far away from the other cyclist when I'm passing them. If they are riding on the shoulder then I will move out into the middle of the traffic lane after checking to be sure there are no cars coming. I also can't stand it when someone passes me and then I have to slow down because they can't go fast enough. So I make sure that I can easily pass them and leave them in the dust, so to speak, so I don't interfere with their riding. As for number 1, sometimes I'll yell out "On your left!" but if I am nowhere near them I may not say anything. I don't have a bell on my bike. They weigh too much.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-29-20, 11:06 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Unfortunately, about half are below average.
That's my mantra on the drivers I see, helps keep me from getting F'ING ANGRY. Sorta.
Old 09-29-20, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-20, 11:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
.... and when they passed they were about a foot away from me.
I used to think the same way, but then I realized that being passed "a foot away" was probably more like three feet. It just seems like it's closer. I don't think anyone has ever passed me a foot away unless it was totally by accident and one or the other of us was in the process of crashing.

But regardless... If I'm overtaking a single rider who is well to the right, I just go on by and say nothing. If there are several, or if there are children, or if they're riding side-by-side, or it's a bunch of joggers, I ring the bell. I feel it's MUCH louder than my voice, unless I'm shouting.

If they're using Earbuds, or have a radio going (who has room for that?), even the bell might not be loud enough.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-29-20, 11:41 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I don't ride MUPs, so road exclusively. I'll usually give someone the heads-up as I'm approaching, and I won't pass until the road behind is clear and I can give them a full lane's space - until then, I just hang back. I generally don't care if people passing me don't prewarn me, as I can can generally see them coming in my rear view anyway. I did have one close call a while back that still gives my slight jitters - I was descending a long straight - 30-35 mph. I was with another guy, side by side, empty road - one can hear cars coming from some distance (but not bikes, as it turns out). There's a roughly repaired section in the middle of the lane, so I go left toward the center line, and the other guy goes right, toward the verge. As I'm veering left, I'm passed on the left by another cyclist doing a good 10-15 mph faster - he missed me by inches - it could have been very nasty for both of us, and certainly scared the crap out of me at the time. There but for the grace of god and a few inches etc etc..... That's the closest I've come to a collision in a long time, and it could have averted if he'd simply signaled his intention to overtake - of course, maybe if I'd indicated my intent to veer left, he could've given me more space, or if I'd rechecked my mirror first. We both could've done better, and I'm mainly just relieved that the closer encounter didn't have a less favorable outcome. Good communication in both directions is good for everyone.
Old 09-29-20, 11:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m mostly passing on trails. I always ring the bell and try to do it a few seconds back and several times and also make an announcement if it seems needed.

I just figure I should because it’s
a) required by trail rule,
b) respectful to not surprise someone by suddenly showing up on their side and
c) safer for both of us if they know I’m coming by.

On those occasions where I get passed, I know I appreciate a signal in advance.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-29-20 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-29-20, 12:02 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I passed someone yesterday and did not say anything. He was aware of me behind him and sped up after a turn. Another turn was coming up quick and I didn't want to be stuck behind him any longer than I had to because I was trying to stay in a certain zone. I'm sure he thought I was a d***.
Old 09-29-20, 12:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Unfortunately, about half are below average.
That's my mantra on the drivers I see, helps keep me from getting F'ING ANGRY. Sorta.
And yet, apparently 90% of drivers believe they're better than average. Go figure.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-29-20, 12:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Where is this happening? If it's on a MUP, then MUP rules apply and warnings should be given before passing - just as if it were on a sidewalk. MUPs cater to to those with the least skills. If, OTOH, it's on the road, then road rules apply. Vehicles are not required to warn other vehicles before passing. You probably wouldn't like if if every car about to pass you blew its horn!

In the case of the MUP, I blame overall ignorance and lazy behavior. So many people use MUPS without reading the rules that it seems to be the norm. Well, there's also the skillset factor. Due to the complete inexperience with some MUP riders, when you warn "Passing On your Left," they'll actually move left and blame you for the crash. My advice is usually to learn cycling skiils quickly and get the H off the dangerous paths, even if cars are scary.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 09-29-20 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-29-20, 01:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've generally given up on giving an "on your left" when I pass because more often than not, the rider I am passing pulls left, intentionally or not. I just try to give them plenty of space and I wave and say hello or good morning when I go by.
Old 09-29-20, 01:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I try to not be a total tool when passing. A "good morning" or a compliment about their bikes goes a long way. I'm not racing anyone so sometimes I will ask about their route or where else they ride? Most riders are receptive to these lines of conversation.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-29-20, 02:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
First world problems.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-29-20, 02:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The worst thing is they won't even wave when they pass you.
Old 09-29-20, 02:27 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The worst thing is they won't even wave when they pass you.
That is because they are concentrating on not being catapulted over their bars by their disc brakes.
Old 09-29-20, 02:29 PM
Kahuna_61

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recetly had a guy pass on the right

Sit Rep:
Lightly trafficked MUP at that time of day, big downhill righty w/ poor vis ahead and to the right

I rarely get passed and this is a first for downhill

speed ~35mph drifting left( no visible oncoming)

I knew some one was back there at the top because I had passed him going into the staging area, just beyond the bottom I was stealing a look in my mirror to solidify where he was

next I know he's on the right beside me exactly where I need to go to clear the path for oncoming traffic
not a word of warning

passed him shortly after w/ a warning

IMO, Just another clueless putz that you run into everywhere these days

he subsequently tried to draft but was unsuccessful
Likes For Kahuna_61:
Old 09-29-20, 02:41 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
https://images.app.goo.gl/oaHCUMdC9oVXoa3x8

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-29-20, 02:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
That is because they are concentrating on not being catapulted over their bars by their disc brakes.
Or they were busy hating themselves after they realized that cycling is not real exercise.

Belonged to Seattles largest bike club, Cascade, where they beat, ever so gently, good cycling etiquette into us. Now I say “On your left” automagically.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-29-20 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Dropped a Y
Old 09-29-20, 02:57 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
What about passing pedestrians? Yesterday in Pebble Beach, CA I saw how a cyclist shouted at a pedestrian who was about to cross a road. On a clearly marked pedestrian crossing. The cyclist startled the poor pedestrian and proceeded to ride quite fast in front of him. Looked really rude and obnoxious. On the other hand the cyclist was on a very expensive bike clad in the very best racing clothes. I guess he needed that PR on Strava badly.
Likes For tankist:
Old 09-29-20, 02:58 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
when you warn "Passing On your Left," they'll actually move left and blame you for the crash.
This happened to me two weeks ago on the Lakeland Trail. An older couple were side by side, I slowed down and did my usual "on your left". The husband slowed up, veered right into his wife's rear tire, and over he went. Blood already started to come from his broke skin, I apologized, though I really didn't have to. The wife just gave me the dirtiest look and told me "please leave".

I felt bad for them, and still do. Nothing I could do though. In hindsight, I probably should have passed them quickly and said nothing.
Likes For friday1970:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.