Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flying with a road bike - some logistical questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flying with a road bike - some logistical questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 08:35 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
You could go this route.. Ritchey Breakaway. Airline will check it to your destination.
I love bike forums. "Buy a new bike" is always an option.
Old 04-19-21, 08:38 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I love bike forums. "Buy a new bike" is always an option.
Some of the cases shown are almost 600 dollars. I got my breakaway for 1 thousand and it came with a case. I know of two 54cm for right around 1 thousand that also come with a case. Wasn’t saying it to be funny, it is another option.
Old 04-19-21, 08:58 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
To throw a wrench in the works some Airports are very strict about batteries in the luggage and have been called out twice for my Di2 battery. Once was in South East Asia and once in Canada. They found them in the scanner both times, this was after dozens of flights.
Old 04-19-21, 08:59 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Some of the cases shown are almost 600 dollars. I got my breakaway for 1 thousand and it came with a case. I know of two 54cm for right around 1 thousand that also come with a case. Wasn’t saying it to be funny, it is another option.
OK. Thanks for the suggestion. I understand that buying a new folding bike that fits into a smaller case would take up less room and make in-vehicle transportation easier. This is a very expensive option and probably not a realistic solution for me.

A $600 case is not a realistic solution for me either, but there do seem to be several more affordable options for cases.
Old 04-19-21, 09:01 AM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
As I recall, the Ritchey Breakaway bikes and cases are over the 62" airline size limit to avoid oversize bag charges. That was a deal breaker for me. Instead I bought a used steel frame Bianchi bike and had S&S couplers installed so that I could use a case that was under 62" and just pay for a normal checked bag.
Old 04-19-21, 10:03 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Have you considered a Rapha club membership, which includes bike rentals at a pretty decent price, from what I hear?

Edit: looks like it's a max of 3 days, not a full week. And prices went up for more recent members. Nvm.
Old 04-19-21, 10:59 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
There's always Spinlister.com. I've rented out my spare bike for a week once on it. Never used while travelling, but it seems to be a good system.
Old 04-19-21, 11:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
As I recall, the Ritchey Breakaway bikes and cases are over the 62" airline size limit to avoid oversize bag charges. That was a deal breaker for me. Instead I bought a used steel frame Bianchi bike and had S&S couplers installed so that I could use a case that was under 62" and just pay for a normal checked bag.
The Ritchey cases are just a few inches over the 62" limit, so they usually slide by, in part because they aren't normally recognized as bike cases.
Old 04-19-21, 01:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Check out cargo specs on a large minivan. Much more than most suv rentals.

A pickup with a back seat from u-haul?
Old 04-19-21, 02:06 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Crating a bike I usually use 1 full sheet of plywood, a couple of 2x4's and a few scrap pieces to finish the sides. Lumber is crazy expensive right now so even a cheap OSB crate I spend about 70 CAD on materials.

Shipping a crate between two warehouses shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks each way. The industry term is LTL (too light for truckload). There's usually a flat rate for a single pallet loaded with whatever you can fit on there.

With crates you have to put shims under them so it can be picked up by a forklift or pallet jack.

I crate bikes for moving companies they don't really care about the weight as long as two guys can lift it and whatever's inside doesn't break.

Having a vehicle that you can deliver your package to a shipping depot is going to lower the cost substantially.

Also look for "moving and storage" companies. You need a mover with a warehouse so they can sit on the crate until they have a load going your way and a place where you can come and pick it up. Avoid brokers and local movers. Find one that works with a national carrier like Allied Van Lines or Mayflower.
Old 04-19-21, 02:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
I've never flown with bikes before, but have been considering if it's possible to take one with me on a family trip to Northern CA this summer. Does anyone have experience with renting vehicles large enough to transport a single boxed up bike, plus 2 adults plus a kid in a car seat, and normal luggage? Most of the advice I'm finding is to fold the rear seats down, which won't be possible in this case. Assuming a larger vehicle is needed, does anyone have suggestions on how large?
Not sure what "normal luggage" might be. I routinely travel with a bag that will often fit behind the front passenger seat (if the front passenger isn't too tall).

You can stuff a bike easily enough into the trunk of a Ford Focus if you take both wheels off. You might be able to stuff small pieces of luggage with the bike into the trunk. You'd have a free passenger seat for some luggage.

Tahoe. I hadn't considered the possibility of renting (or borrowing) a bike yet, but that is an option I'd consider if flying my own bike seems too difficult.
How long are you going for? How many rides do you think you will do?

Renting is often much easier (and, possibly, less expensive) than slogging your bike on a trip.

If you can't rent a bike in Tahoe and if you are not flying into Tahoe, you might be able to rent a bike where you are flying into (but you'd have to be staying at the other location). It should be easier to stuff a bike into a reasonably-sized car or minivan.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-19-21 at 02:40 PM.