Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Surface rust on steel, when do you call it quit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 05:35 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Is this still considered safe to ride? I can't tell how deep the rust has went into the fork, but the surface looks really well rusted. Haven't attempted any rust removal like acid or wire brush.

Old 04-18-21, 06:33 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Remove rust. Assess steel.
Likes For iab:
Old 04-18-21, 06:34 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Oh, that'll buff right out! But joking aside, that's a fairly advanced state of decay for a chromed area on a frame. Chrome is done electrolytically, typically with copper plate first, followed by nickel, and finally chrome; all very thin. Chrome is the hardest, copper the softest. When it flakes off, as seems to be happening in your case, that's basically all three layers of metallic plate coming off together. Whether the underlying steel has a greater propensity to rust as a result of the plating process, I couldn't tell you. The only good news here is that the volume (or thickness) the developing rust (ferrous oxide) occupies, compared to the steel it replaces, is very large, on the order of 10 times. I would not sell or pass on a fork that looks like that to another person; but I might be tempted to de-rust (by soaking in oxalic acid solution or media blasting), repaint and ride such a fork myself. On the other hand, a nutted axle combined with aluminum cranks suggests a fairly low-end bike -- unless there's some sentimental attachment to it, why not spend the effort on something more promising?
Old 04-18-21, 11:36 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
^^^^As mentioned clean and inspect....I would do a tap test to see if there are any soft spots....should ping a little. Why don't you post a picture of the entire bike, how are the rear stays?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-18-21, 01:24 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
What's the worst that could happen?

Sudden fork failure gives me the chills. I wouldn't ride it unless I got rid of all the rust, and could inspect it closely, and possibly give it some sort of stress test. There's likely going to be some serious pitting, possibly even pinholes. I'd always have some doubts in the back of my mind, especially when braking hard with the front brake As Charles Wahl says, probably not worth the risk for this one.
Old 04-18-21, 02:12 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I would pass on that fork. The outside damage is pretty bad, in my opinion. The question is, what does the inside look like? Unless the bike is something special, forget about it or, at the very lease, seek out a replacement fork.
Old 04-18-21, 03:59 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The rest of the bike actually looks okay. I am mostly keeping this for the frame. My other bike is compatible with this one, so I am planning to use this frame as a backup swap.

Old 04-18-21, 04:07 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
The damage on the forks may be too bad to fix. I would look for a donor from another bike. Maybe a co op would have something that would work.
Old 04-18-21, 04:18 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet

A bike like that is good. It is much less likely to get stolen. Use that bike any time you need to leave it where there is a possibility of getting stolen.
Old 04-18-21, 06:25 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Need to assess first. Rust is obscuring what's below.

Flake off the remaining chrome, it's gonna come off anyway. Get a bottle of Naval Jelly. Get a throwaway brush and slather a coat on. Bottle will say 10 minute treatment time, if it were me, I'd leave it on for 15-20 before rinsing and drying. It will probably take 2-3 treatments.

This will get you down to bare metal. At that point, assess condition. Best bet is you may be able to sand it out, self-etch prime, then repaint a near-matching color, or go with something silver.

Your one possible saving grace here is the rust appears to be exterior only, due to poor treatment of the chrome It doesn't seem to've compromised the blade-end joint. Oh, and those rims are f*d too.

PS - may need to widen out those fork ends if you ever intend on running QR'd hubs, which typically have a fatter axle.

Old 04-18-21, 10:52 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
The rest of the bike actually looks okay. I am mostly keeping this for the frame. My other bike is compatible with this one, so I am planning to use this frame as a backup swap.

There is a guy near me selling a nice Tange fork in a very similar color for $10. Let me know if interested and I can connect you. Pm me. I bought brakes and shifters from him, nice guy. It was on Nextdoor.
Old 04-18-21, 11:46 PM
Krazyistkarl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sanded a beater frame down to bare metal and dumped potash salt on it to rust it prematurely. Hasn't gotten stolen, so I think it's working as planned