Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

1974 Centurion le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 08:42 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
1974 Centurion le Mans

I have the much-weathered and patinated frame form a 1974 Centurion le Mans, dated by the ever-helpful T-Mar. Shown disassembled but comes with BB bearings spindle, headrace bearings and locknut, all in surprisingly good condition, and the little brazed-on lugs are all there and unmolested. The chrome socks are just about perfect. Stickers show "Designed by Mitchel" (the co-founder of Centurion) and that for a bike shop in San Francisco. I am passing this on as I do not want to stop it from becoming a bike again, also it was admired for is patina (not my cup of tea, though . . .)

I paid $20 and want nothing more for it. If you can use it, get in touch, it's yours. I am in Phoenix, AZ, and would be prepared to box it up and dispatch it, buyer would pay shipping.

Make me a bike again!

Last edited by Albion; 04-19-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 09:27 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Albion
I have the much-weathered and patinated frame form a 1974 Centurion Super le Mans, dated by the ever-helpful T-Mar. Shown disassembled but comes with BB bearings spindle, headrace bearings and locknut, all in surprisingly good condition, and the little brazed-on lugs are all there and unmolested. The chrome socks are just about perfect. Stickers show "Designed by Mitchel" (the co-founder of Centurion) and that for a bike shop in San Francisco. I am passing this on as I do not want to stop it from becoming a bike again, also it was admired for is patina (not my cup of tea, though . . .)

I paid $20 and want nothing more for it. If you can use it, get in touch, it's yours. I am in Phoenix, AZ, and would be prepared to box it up and dispatch it, buyer would pay shipping.

Make me a bike again!
The sunshine in AZ is no joke, apparently. My estimate on the head tube length puts this at a 56-58cm frame, but perhaps adding the seat tube length and top tube length could persuade another member that might be on the fence.
Old 04-18-21, 10:49 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Pm sent

Last edited by b dub; 04-18-21 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 10:54 AM
Albion 

Great! It's a 23"/58 cm C-T BTW. And thanks to Unca Sam to remind me to add that important piece of information.
Old 04-18-21, 11:31 AM
Albion 

More . . .

Here are some more photos. BTW, I forgot, it came with wheels - Sunshine 5435 wide-flange alloy, not bent, etc. They are mounted on the original chrome-plated steel rims which are in very good shape. One nipple is broken, everything else is there and intact. At your option I can include the complete wheels, or just the hubs.

Also BTW, Mitchell was Mitchell (Mitch) M. Weiner, co-founder of Centurion in 1969.

Fabrication Garantie?

Nice chrome socks . . .

Old 04-18-21, 11:34 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
I’m super excited. I’ll send another pm in respons to your question.

Last edited by b dub; 04-18-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 01:31 PM
Albion 

And more . . .

Here are some more photos, the headstock and original sticker from Berkeley Cyclery:

Old 04-22-21, 01:29 PM
Albion 

A shipping company . . .

In case this is of assistance to my fellow Bike Forum colleagues, I was recommended an outfit called "Shipnex", a shipping aggregator who seemed to offer pretty good pricing shipping bike bits. Below is a screenshot from their website showing $40 to send 25 pounds from AZ to IL. I have not used them but I understand that the approach is for the sender to send the recipient package weight and dimension details, the recipient opens an account with Shipnex and pays, sends the link to the label to the sender, and the sender takes it to wherever Shipnex have made an arrangement, usually FedEx, USPS, etc.