Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake Pad help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brake Pad help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 08:12 PM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Brake Pad help

Is there a trick to getting these brake pads into the holders? It was a bit of effort to get the old ones out....the pads are NOS weinmann.

Old 04-21-21, 08:29 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by chefdurfee
...the pads are NOS weinmann.
I don't know for sure but these pads look too dry and hard to be serviceable. I say this because I have had this problem before and after many trails and tribulations had to go to a comparable knock off for adequate stopping power.
Old 04-21-21, 09:12 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I applaud your efforts in keeping the pad original or at least period correct. New brake pads will be so much better. Most of the replies will probably be to get Kool Stop Continental pads since they were availabel in the '80's. I have them and they are good. I also have a set of Jagwire pads that are also surprisingly good. Less accolades about these pads, however, since they are not 40 year old rubber, they work well.
Old 04-21-21, 10:24 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by chefdurfee
Is there a trick to getting these brake pads into the holders? It was a bit of effort to get the old ones out....the pads are NOS weinmann.

I don’t recall Weinmann and Universal having the same engagement form factor
the set shown for me needs one end cut out- if you try to bend it - it will break... writing that, look at the brake arm pivot frame... don’t like the porosity of that casting...
Old 04-22-21, 06:06 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I second kool stop continentals. The whole shoe assembly costs $10 per pair and they work great. I just put some on an old steel-rimmed Raleigh a friend of mine picked up, night and day difference between the cheap pads it had on.
Old 04-22-21, 12:05 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I personally really like the Jagwire X-Caliper pads. They tend to run less expensive than Kool Stop's options but perform just as well.

Old 04-22-21, 12:39 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
This is a bit confusing. Are you trying to force Weinmann pads into Universal holders, or are those Weinmann holders that you've put on to Universal brakes? If the former, it is not clear that they will fit at all because the pads are different sizes. If the latter, then you can generally press in the pads using a vice or woodworking clamps, sometimes helped a little by smearing some dishwashing soap on the pads.

That said, if you are actually going to ride this bike I would highly recommend that you NOT use NOS pads. Brake pads degrade as time goes on simply from exposure to the atmosphere and sunlight. Instead, go to the Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977 site and order some fresh pads. They have both Weinmann and Universal reproduction pads.
Old 04-22-21, 04:14 PM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll look into the Kool-Stop pads...shame that these vintage pads are not going to be useful, as I inherited two complete sets with the bike.
Old 04-22-21, 04:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
On a mid-level bike with Universal center-pulls, the Continental pads usually look just fine.
Old 04-22-21, 04:48 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Like others have said, buy new pads.

If you really wanted to use them, you could probably bend or grind the back out, and slide them in from the end.