Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

gravelking sk dry rot!!??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-22-21, 09:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

picked up a set brand new a few years ago. test rode them once or twice and have sat on the wheelset in the barn since awaiting the intended bike to be finished. things get set on the back burner, etc. needless to say, they have dry rotted. i have plenty of other tires i've had longer sitting in the same barn of "lesser" brand quality or equal that are still in fine shape. what gives? anyone else had this issue with panaracer...specifically GK's?
Old 04-22-21, 09:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
You need nitrogen tank and bag em.
I have lost tires in various ways.
ozone is bad, oxygen is bad, UV is bad
Old 04-22-21, 10:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

to be honest, they started cracking early on. maybe a year after i got them? i thought it'd be alright, but....nope.

really? a nitro tank? tell that to my other tires...haha. i'm not inclined to go that far. perhaps at least bagging them?

i dunno. i had some panaracer smoke and darts that stayed good for over a decade. due to knicks in the bead, though, the wire rusted out in spots. the rubber was still intact
Old 04-22-21, 10:46 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
I have a 1987 dahon folding bike, it has spent virtually its entire life in its Dahon specific storage bag, and it has the original tires which have no cracks and are still plenty supple, its rather amazing really. I've ridden several half centuries on the bike and a metric century on it with the original tires, that was about 18 months ago.

On the higest terrestrial point of Manhattan,

Close up of the steel chain ring and folding crank, I don't have a close up of the tires handy though.

Poppin' a wheelie on Randalls and Wards island during my metric century,

Last edited by jackbombay; 04-23-21 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-23-21, 12:02 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

jackbombay that should be a freakin' ad for Vans....lol!!

thanks for the input . i'd still like to know if anyone else had prob's with the GK's, but i'll be sure to bag up my other tires, now
Old 04-23-21, 12:33 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
jackbombay that should be a freakin' ad for Vans....lol!!

thanks for the input . i'd still like to know if anyone else had prob's with the GK's, but i'll be sure to bag up my other tires, now
I picked up a set of Panaracers, NOS, from a local bike shop a few years ago. They looked great and I fitted them to my Bianchi which I ride in Jamaica. With-in a season and a half, they pretty much self destructed, the side walls mostly. Had to replace them with what I could find in semi-rural Jamaica, a set of Compas 700c x 32. Now those are darn near bullet proof tires. The Panaracers - not so much and I am now a bit turned off to vintage rubber...
Old 04-23-21, 01:10 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I picked up a set of Panaracers, NOS, from a local bike shop a few years ago. They looked great and I fitted them to my Bianchi which I ride in Jamaica. With-in a season and a half, they pretty much self destructed, the side walls mostly. Had to replace them with what I could find in semi-rural Jamaica, a set of Compas 700c x 32. Now those are darn near bullet proof tires. The Panaracers - not so much and I am now a bit turned off to vintage rubber...
how do you mean "vintage rubber"? in your case...NOS? the gravelking's i got were brand new. they are, afterall, a new model. at least within the last few years. and, i wouldn't normally moan about this except i've never problems with panaracer before. i had some pasela tourguards that lasted quite a while even

compass makes nice tires, no doubt. too rich for my blood, though
Old 04-23-21, 02:27 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

how do you mean "vintage rubber"? in your case...NOS? the gravelking's i got were brand new. they are, afterall, a new model. at least within the last few years. and, i wouldn't normally moan about this except i've never problems with panaracer before. i had some pasela tourguards that lasted quite a while even

Vintage rubber and NOS are both the same, in this case. The tires sat in the bike shop's basement for a long time making them vintage but, being never sold or mounted, new in that sense. As for the Compass tires, that I bought in Jamaica - about $26.00 US. They are not the Compass tires that are considered high end nor are they expensive. They are, none the less, darn near bullet proof and offer a fairly decent ride quality.
Old 04-23-21, 07:43 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
I had a pair of Panaracer ( don't remember the model) 700x25's that I put on my Centurion Elite that dry rotted within 2 yrs of buying them, bike was kept indoors & tires were always kept aired up. They weren't Cheap tires even at cost and it really irked me cause like you I had other cheaper tires that lasted longer sitting unused in the same building, my shop!

Glenn
Likes For Glennfordx4:
Old 04-23-21, 08:20 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Vintage rubber and NOS are both the same, in this case. The tires sat in the bike shop's basement for a long time making them vintage but, being never sold or mounted, new in that sense. As for the Compass tires, that I bought in Jamaica - about $26.00 US. They are not the Compass tires that are considered high end nor are they expensive. They are, none the less, darn near bullet proof and offer a fairly decent ride quality.
yeah, $26...that's right up my alley

the gravelkings were expensive to me when i bought them, and i figured worth it as i wanted the quality that i'd believed they'd be. too bad
Old 04-23-21, 08:37 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Sorry you've had this problem.

The GK-SKs I have on one of my bikes are still looking great, though they are showing a bit of tread wear. They are close to 3 years old and have over 2,500 miles on them. Bike is stored in the garage but no other special treatment is given (except maybe washing it once a year.) Mine have the Kevlar bead if that makes a difference. Sorry you've had this problem. Have you thought of contacting Panaracer?
Old 04-23-21, 08:48 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Sorry you've had this problem.

The GK-SKs I have on one of my bikes are still looking great, though they are showing a bit of tread wear. They are close to 3 years old and have over 2,500 miles on them. Bike is stored in the garage but no other special treatment is given (except maybe washing it once a year.) Mine have the Kevlar bead if that makes a difference. Sorry you've had this problem. Have you thought of contacting Panaracer?
thanks for your condolences. i actually had thought of contacting panaracer. but, i thought big corporation....me small fry. what would they even do? i'd have to show proof of purchase, take photos, send'em in, and all that jazz. in which case, the proof of purchase i didn't hang onto. even so, i suppose even if i contacted them now, the worst that could happen is they say "sorry....yer SOL"
Old 04-23-21, 09:15 AM
jackbombay

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
the gravelkings were expensive to me when i bought them, and i figured worth it as i wanted the quality that i'd believed they'd be. too bad
This kind of stuff drives me nuts, I'm fine paying more money for higher quality more durable products, but when I pay more money and the products aren't more durable, well... How some rubber compounds can last for decades and others only last a couple years is odd, as a consumer there's no way to tell which is which unfortunately. :-(
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-23-21, 10:02 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
My good man, as a fellow civilized C&V rider surely you have a climate controlled tire cellar?
Old 04-23-21, 10:22 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
have an old fridge near where you stored them? furnace? sunlight? heat cycling? any of those things can accelerate tire rot. Panaracer uses natural rubber in many of their tires. Limited lifespan. I try to use rubber products within a year of their purchase date, two at most.
Old 04-23-21, 10:27 AM
randyjawa 

I just realized that I was not clear in post #8. The price of $26.00 was for two tires, a set and I would buy them again, in a heartbeat, if available in Canada at that price.

Though foolish of me to do so, I just had to take a newly acquired sixties something PX10 for a test ride the day I dragged it home. Lucky for me this did not happen on the front wheel. Ka-pow, not unlike the sound of a gun shot, and I had to dig out my spare parts and tools to get home. Spare parts and tools = cell phone and a call to Mrs. Me...
Old 04-23-21, 01:48 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I’m on my third pair of GKSKs, although the latest are blue, all have been 32mm. I’ve seen no signs of dry rot or any other defect. I like these tires a lot for the price. It’s possible yours experienced some adverse environmental exposure prior to your acquiring them.
Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 04-23-21, 02:23 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by jethin
My good man, as a fellow civilized C&V rider surely you have a climate controlled tire cellar?
well, of course i do!! i'd just rather keep them in the barn for some strange reason...haha..ha
Old 04-23-21, 02:35 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
have an old fridge near where you stored them? furnace? sunlight? heat cycling? any of those things can accelerate tire rot. Panaracer uses natural rubber in many of their tires. Limited lifespan. I try to use rubber products within a year of their purchase date, two at most.
nope. no old fridge or furnace. and, no sunlight exposure. there is the natural temperature fluctuation of the seasons., but all my other tires survive it. perhaps, as you say, the natural rubber compound is a big factor. however, i've had other panaracers far outlive the gravelkings. (apparently, so have others).what's more, seems a sham to make a tire that's not going last more than a year, don't you think? iow's, maybe panaracer should add "use within a year of purchase" if that were legitimately a factor
Likes For thook:
Old 04-23-21, 03:19 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 311 Posts

The compass tires that Randyjawa bought for $26 in Jamaica have nothing to do with the high end Compass/Rene Herse tires. The Jamaican label of 27 tpi casing clues you in that these are far from supple tires -- but i'll bet they wear really well!
Old 04-23-21, 03:47 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by JulesCW
The compass tires that Randyjawa bought for $26 in Jamaica have nothing to do with the high end Compass/Rene Herse tires....
thank you. i get that after reading his last reply
Likes For thook:
Old 04-23-21, 03:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
...anyone else had this issue with panaracer...specifically GK's?
Yes as a matter of fact. Had some nice period looking Gum Wall Panaracers on my PR-10 for looks. I don't ride that bike regularly so its mostly hanging in the garage. After one year in the Texas heat I noted small cracks all along the gum wall.

I have also had some Gum Wall ChiCom Kenda knockoffs hanging in the same heat for years and no problems. Strange...

I have had minimal problems with oxidation on my bicycle tires after I started spraying my entire bike with Tire Foam then wiping it down after cleaning.
Old 04-23-21, 04:00 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by zandoval
Yes as a matter of fact. Had some nice period looking Gum Wall Panaracers on my PR-10 for looks. I don't ride that bike regularly so its mostly hanging in the garage. After one year in the Texas heat I noted small cracks all along the gum wall.

I have also had some Gum Wall ChiCom Kenda knockoffs hanging in the same heat for years and no problems. Strange...

I have had minimal problems with oxidation on my bicycle tires after I started spraying my entire bike with Tire Foam then wiping it down after cleaning.
i'll look into that product. thanks

well, we don't have dry heat here in arkansas, but i know much of texas does. i'm thinking i just got a set from a less than ideal run of tires seeing as how there are folks not having rot issues with these. i realize it goes with industry, though. still disappointing. i never got to use them....waaahhh!!