Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown vintage rear suspension frame parts.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-23-21, 12:47 AM
Locomotief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

A couple off weeks ago I couldn't resist anymore an I bought these rear suspension parts online. They kept intriguing me. I tried to find information about them but came up with nothing. I know there italian because off the word "brevettato" that mean patent. There are two other letters on the parts WJ OR CM?

the suspension is adjustable by turning a screw inside the aluminium pipe. One's find a frame to fit them on I'll use a torque wrench to adjust them both to them same setting.

Old 04-23-21, 01:03 AM
Locomotief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

I would like to know more about these parts. I'm not a 100% sure they where build for a bike frame. Could be that they where made for a light moped frame. Hopefully someone knows more about these parts.

And I could use some help with finding a frame to fit these parts. I would like to adjust a frame to fit these parts on. I need a frame with a horizontal rear fork with a inside diameter of 13 mm. The outside diameter is probably something around 15 mm. The vertical fork is easier to make so I'm not to worried about that. So if there are people with a bike collection and a gauge and some time to spare I would love to know what kind of frame I should look out for .
Old 04-23-21, 05:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Interesting! No room for a derailleur! first time seeing these.
Old 04-23-21, 11:08 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
At the very least you'll want to run a SOLID rear axle, a full 10mm and not 3/8" or 9.5mm.
A Phil hub might be the one to use here.

It's still going to tend to be an axle-breaker with that design, not to mention that the wheel won't much stay in-plane with each end of the axle supported on it's own independent suspension link.

Horrible design imo, since the axle simply can't provide much torsional resistance to prevent independent movement on each side, and which might preclude use of a rear brake unless it's mounted on the chainstays.

Last edited by dddd; 04-23-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-23-21, 11:31 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I wonder how the rear brake would work? If the wheel moves independent of the rear tringle you couldn't have traditional calipers or cantilevers. It Must be a drum brake with a floating arm. That would seem to imply some form of utility bicycle.
Old 04-23-21, 02:00 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Totally possible it is to a motorized bicycle. Italy had a lot of them!

I don't blame you for the purchase. I also find them fascinating.
Old 04-23-21, 02:06 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts

You would be shocked at how "delicate" these things were!