Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DA12 coming some details

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

DA12 coming some details

Old 12-02-20, 02:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Windows is so easy to use because it's kind of dumb and just does what you tell it, Android is a completely different kind of dumb where it's constantly trying to guess what I want and usually getting it wrong. I need to attach a pdf I signed to an email, in Windows I could just point to where the file is, on Android it keeps offering images and audio but won't let me go to a file browser.

Of course we're both more comfortable using the technology we grew up with.
I have fond memories of my old Smith-Corona typewriter.
Old 12-02-20, 02:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
It probably doesn't matter at all. There seems to be one point where they line up, and the rest are staggered due to there being more teeth on bigger cogs.
It matters. The cogs line up the way they do because each cog has a unique orientation which is dependent on where it is in the stack.
Old 12-02-20, 02:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
When I see recommendations to use a blowtorch on rotors to clean off contaminants, I have a hard time taking that seriously.
Pffft - you know Mo' is slightly off-kilter.

So of course I was down at the shop over lunch talking about a Topstone.
Fer why? Is the custom bike going to be more All-road than Gravel?
Old 12-02-20, 03:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Fer why? Is the custom bike going to be more All-road than Gravel?
That was always the case (will go with Enve gravel fork).

The driver here is that one of AG's friends wants to take us out graveling when her Topstone is ready (right after Xmas) and while the route is very mild and people apparently do it on 28s... this tri geek isn't tackling it on 28s, which means not on my R2. It would be handy to have two copies of the same bike (easier for me to learn how to keep them maintained) and could also serve as a foul weather bike. Threaded BB, and cheap. And they have a warranty-replacement in my size in last year's black in the shop that went unclaimed that they're trying to scare up parts to assemble.

That could also let me try to just defer the steelie until Shimano sorts themselves out and I see what this FUTURE OF CYCLING is. Shop owner also told me that Argon18 (admittedly a smaller brand) was told they won't get any Shimano parts until October. It'll be 100% SRAM for them until then.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-02-20, 03:13 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Windows is so easy to use because it's kind of dumb and just does what you tell it, Android is a completely different kind of dumb where it's constantly trying to guess what I want and usually getting it wrong. I need to attach a pdf I signed to an email, in Windows I could just point to where the file is, on Android it keeps offering images and audio but won't let me go to a file browser.

Of course we're both more comfortable using the technology we grew up with.
If you're gonna make a dumb operating system analogy, then fine, rim brakes are Windows: anyone can come along and figure it out. The way it works is obvious, and there's usually more than one way to do anything. But discs are Macs: it's all tidy and sleek, and Windows expertise isn't worth a damn because it all works differently. Furthermore, noobs can't see any obvious corners to pick at in order to get started figuring it out. Basic stuff may be straightforward for the most part, but as soon as things get tricky it's inscrutable because all the nuts and bolts are hidden.

But gee it's slick, and all the cool kids had one.
Old 12-02-20, 03:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And some people like Windows and Linux and can't backpedal away from OSX trash fast enough.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-02-20, 07:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Others recognize that both Linux and OSX are unix operating systems that have far more in common with one another than they do Windows.
Old 12-02-20, 07:36 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I must've missed the thread to which you are referring...Wish I had seen it. When I have expressed my sentiments in at least one other thread, I got a lot of pushback.

But I do agree with you that Di2 doesn't drift out-of-adjustment the way a mechanical groupset will over time, and I love love love the gearing readout on my computer.

I think my fave thing about Di2, though, is having two fewer cables cluttering up the front end of my bike. That, along with the bar-end junction A box, makes for a super-clean looking front end.
I'm new to Di2, but have to say my favorite things so far are...

1) Shifting under load easily and effortlessly2) The clean cockpit3) Shift quality

Shift quality is last because I'm coming from 11 spd 105 which shifted beautifully when in tune. When it got of tune, adjusting could be a pain. The front derailleur on Di2 shifts much, much better. And I don't think twice about shifting out of the saddle under load. I could on 105, but it is much better on my new bike. So far, I can't imagine going back.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 12-02-20, 07:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by wgscott
Others recognize that both Linux and OSX are unix operating systems that have far more in common with one another than they do Windows.
What's under the hood doesn't define the OS. It remains true that the Apple one pisses me off every time I touch it and Linux doesn't.

What's this thread about again?
Old 12-02-20, 07:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Steel bikes from the 80s with tubeless tires, disc brakes, 1x electronic gearing, and waxed chains, and why they're better without power meters or drop bars.
Old 12-02-20, 07:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Money holes being burnt in pockets, innit?
Old 12-02-20, 08:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
If you're gonna make a dumb operating system analogy, then fine, rim brakes are Windows: anyone can come along and figure it out. The way it works is obvious, and there's usually more than one way to do anything. But discs are Macs: it's all tidy and sleek, and Windows expertise isn't worth a damn because it all works differently. Furthermore, noobs can't see any obvious corners to pick at in order to get started figuring it out. Basic stuff may be straightforward for the most part, but as soon as things get tricky it's inscrutable because all the nuts and bolts are hidden.

But gee it's slick, and all the cool kids had one.
Well I was making the point that people don't get intimidated or frustrated or whatever trying to figure out something they've already learned to do. But I enjoyed your rant mightily.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-20, 08:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

What's under the hood doesn't define the OS.
Yeah. The color of the desktop and logo is far more relevant.
Old 12-02-20, 10:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Or maybe, a sensible paradigm where you can get stuff done with the mouse, instead of having to bust out a command line shell...?
Old 12-03-20, 01:38 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I really do look forward to having that 10t cog, I'll be able to have a compact and yet have the same top gear as a current 55/11 when I want to push it on a descent, yet have the gearing for the really steep stuff, too. That alone is going to be a reason to go with 12 speed DA when it's time for the next bike some years down the line.

Nice to hear it's wireless, too.
Old 12-03-20, 02:12 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
With the possible exception of fiddly oddball chainstay calipers or whatever, rim brakes are an absolute piece of piss to sort
I place a "sort of" qualifier on that. It's very easy to get rim brakes to do something that vaguely resembles correct operation. But setting them up to work well can be elusive. Pad choice, geometry of pad and caliper placement, housing and cable choice and prep, housing routing... all things that cyclists and mechanics frequently do sub-optimally. If the brake has centerpull cabling, there are plenty of bonus degrees of freedom to screw up with, plus yolk setup, and extra potential for steerer judder if the front brake cable is stopped at the upper headset race or higher. And if you want a setup with lots of power, the margins on all these things get tighter: high mechanical advantage amplifies the feel of any sponginess in the setup and requires very close tolerances between pads and rim.

Hydraulic discs tend to be harder to get to a level of basic operation, but there are fewer opportunities to introduce poor braking performance.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-03-20, 05:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Try again.
Old 12-03-20, 05:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I place a "sort of" qualifier on that. It's very easy to get rim brakes to do something that vaguely resembles correct operation. But setting them up to work well can be elusive. Pad choice, geometry of pad and caliper placement, housing and cable choice and prep, housing routing... all things that cyclists and mechanics frequently do sub-optimally. If the brake has centerpull cabling, there are plenty of bonus degrees of freedom to screw up with, plus yolk setup, and extra potential for steerer judder if the front brake cable is stopped at the upper headset race or higher. And if you want a setup with lots of power, the margins on all these things get tighter: high mechanical advantage amplifies the feel of any sponginess in the setup and requires very close tolerances between pads and rim.

Hydraulic discs tend to be harder to get to a level of basic operation, but there are fewer opportunities to introduce poor braking performance.
I think that "harder to get to a level of basic operation" is a valid reason to call it "harder", along with the addition of new tools and techniques. I did note that for the first few years road disc was breaking (natch) out, the bikes with them here in Austin were usually either squeaking or howling. It's gotten better, but not all the way.

And once, I had to adjust my wife's brakes through the fence at an Ironman transition. No way I could have done that on disc. It might have also not needed it, but hard to tell.
Old 12-03-20, 06:22 AM
WhyFi

Yup. This is the kind of stuff that I was getting at.

Agree with the second bit, generally disagree on the first bit. For buyers of complete bikes, this should be a non-issue. Even if you're building, it is, again, generally a non-issue; most of the current generation of Shimano hydraulic levers/calipers are being sold with hoses installed and pre-bled, with a coupler to join the two - no messing with olives, barbs, bleeding, etc... unless you take it upon yourself to be difficult and do some more challenging routing for aero handlebars and the like (as I did ).
Old 12-03-20, 10:56 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Try again.
Why waste my time?
Old 12-03-20, 10:58 AM
WhyFi

Why waste my time?
Better analogies?
Old 12-03-20, 11:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Better analogies?
That and demonstrating an understanding that a kernel is not an operating system.
Old 12-03-20, 11:27 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
That and demonstrating an understanding that a kernel is not an operating system.
That’s what makes popcorn right?
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 12-03-20, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
That’s what makes popcorn right?
Yeah, that's what the thread needs.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-03-20, 12:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Better analogies?
It is not an analogy. Both Linux and MacOSX (or 11) are unix operating systems. OS X is more closely related to BSD unix, but they are rather more similar than different.

Windows is quite different.

If you want to invoke superficial visual similarities (the windows GUI is based on a variant of the X11 windowing system that Linux uses -- and which, incidently, also works perfectly fine on OS X), feel free, but it is like creating phylogenetics based on organism color rather than DNA sequences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.