Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone found a good touch up match for Ultegra gray?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 10:17 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hey all, (posted this over in mechanics but didn't really get a response, so I thought I'd try here,)

Has anyone found a good (stock) touch up paint (Or nail polish) color for ultegra 6800 gray? I've got some scuffs on my crank I'd like to address. Doesnt have to be a perfect match, but close enough.

Failing someone already having done this, I guess I can take my old RD to Autozone/Wal mart and see what I can find.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-18, 12:39 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I would go to a hobby store and buy Testors model paints in black, grey, and dark metallic blue, and mix to taste, but there are most likely other easier, more time efficient, and thrifty options.
Old 09-23-18, 04:10 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I would go to a hobby store and buy Testors model paints in black, grey, and dark metallic blue, and mix to taste, but there are most likely other easier, more time efficient, and thrifty options.
That's what I'm hoping for. Someone saying "hey, I found generic grey xxxx touch up paint at (insert store name) is a pretty good match." It kinda blows my mind that no one seems to have done that. Guess it will have to be me.

Found something that's a pretty good match. . Ain't gonna tell you where or what, ya damned lemurs.

Last edited by Wheever; 09-23-18 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 04:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have given up on matching paints for touch up anything anymore. I just make sure nothing rusts or whatever and ride it. Its like a scar and shows use and a "character" mark is a good conversation starter. I just leave them be. I had a gloss painted bike black and was OCD about touching it up. Over the years it looks like it had the chicken pocks with all the little black spots painted on it....

My current good road bike it a matte blackishgreylikecarbonesk color and there is no way in heck to match it.....I just ride it.....
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 09-24-18, 04:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

That's what I'm hoping for. Someone saying "hey, I found generic grey xxxx touch up paint at (insert store name) is a pretty good match." It kinda blows my mind that no one seems to have done that. Guess it will have to be me.

Found something that's a pretty good match. . Ain't gonna tell you where or what, ya damned lemurs.
Getting the paint to even stick to aluminum will probably be an issue...matching an anodizing in color and texture and not look worse than the wear blemish, will also be a problem.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-24-18, 08:19 PM
Tamiya

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Getting the paint to even stick to aluminum will probably be an issue...matching an anodizing in color and texture and not look worse than the wear blemish, will also be a problem.
depends what your other hobbies might be.. some pose similar challenges

metal finishes from mirror gloss to brushed or blasted can be refinished when you have the right tools & techniques. Abrasive rubber brushing blocks & micro grit mylar honing film does a lot of the hard work for me nowadays.

anodised colours can be touched up with clear tinted varnishes aka candy clear coats. Adhesion even with acrylics usually not a problem in small areas; just paint never as durable as proper hard anodising.

Its all a matter of how much time/$$/effort one wants to put into it though.

These days I sway more towards "rat rod patina" than "showroom shiny" = it's a little less work.
Old 09-30-18, 08:48 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Happens I have found a nail polish that pretty exactly matches the bluing on ultegra derailleurs and chainrings!

I actually took a spare derailler with me to the drugstore. I can't believe how good the match is. If anyone else is interested, I'll post pictures of both the nail polish and the touch up on the derrailer.

Now, if I can just match that medium flat grey on the cranks themselves...
Old 09-30-18, 09:35 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Black sharpie -mark is hardly noticeable on my rt crankarm unless you get down and look real close
Old 12-02-20, 05:18 AM
rhale007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you let me know which colour you found worked? I have a 2019 Ultegra rear derailleur that just took a slide on some ice !
Old 05-24-21, 09:57 AM
nicholasrohrer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am just reviving this thread. If anyone managed to track down the nail polish color above, if you could post it, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!