Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to not get dropped in the rolling hills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to not get dropped in the rolling hills

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 08:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
True but they will not get stronger. You need to challenge your body to make gains.
They are getting stronger. They are working the energy systems they need to for success in their event.
Old 11-11-20, 08:32 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Some win or lose in the run. Others on the bike. And, probably, a few in the swim.
I actually, I have heard many coaches say that the run is the most important part of the race.
Old 11-12-20, 11:01 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
They are getting stronger. They are working the energy systems they need to for success in their event.
They are riding at threshold in a power compromised position with cardiac drift. You don't get stronger. Even endurance athletes have found that intervals are best for endurance. That is not to say some steady state is not warranted but not total focus.

Last edited by popeye; 11-12-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-12-20, 11:19 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
So, my focus will be adding more VO2max intervals to my workouts. What are your fav Vo2max intervals on the turbo trainer?

I usually do Baird variations on Trainerroad-5x90sec @120% of FTP with 1min rest in between do this three times with 5mins recovery between sets. There's also a 1min on 1min off version of this.

Also, what are the VO2max intervals suggestions for the road?
Old 11-12-20, 11:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Did I do it right? I will print this and put it on my basement door so I see it every time I get out for a ride.

By the way thanks to everyone for the AMAZING amount of response. I have a long to-do list and will share the results as the season progresses.
Yeah if you are doing that at high intensity, with people who are as strong or stronger than you (who by the way have been resting behind you)...it's not a surprise at all. I bet it also looked like you were standing still when they passed you too....and wondering where they got all that power from.

Also I am assuming that 299 watt average was from a power meter? I'm not doubting it at all, but you must have been going against some major headwind to only do 21mph at 170lbs.
Old 11-12-20, 12:26 PM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by jadocs
Also I am assuming that 299 watt average was from a power meter? I'm not doubting it at all, but you must have been going against some major headwind to only do 21mph at 170lbs.
No worries at all. A bit of headwind but it's mostly out and back course. Stopped a bunch of times at the traffic lights.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 11-12-20, 01:57 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by popeye
They are riding at threshold in a power compromised position with cardiac drift. You don't get stronger. Even endurance athletes have found that intervals are best for endurance. That is not to say some steady state is not warranted but not total focus.
Those riders are doing intervals that improve the energy systems needed for good performance in their discipline, such as Sweet Spot intervals. As has been said by others, Tri and TT do not require a high VO2 or sprint power. It is a steady state event.

Last edited by colnago62; 11-12-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-13-20, 03:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
95% for two hours, 90% for four hours? That's insane.

I seriously question either of those. The endurance aspect, the fueling aspect, the specificity... not that some extreme masochist couldn't specifically train go accomplish that, but there's no way on Earth that's even remotely typical.

I once did 3 hours at ~89% and it broke me for a week plus, and I spent about two months building up to that.
And I rather imagine if someone trained to hammer at 90% for four hours... by the end of it, that wouldn't be a true 90% of their true one-hour power anymore.
Old 11-13-20, 03:46 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Some win or lose in the run. Others on the bike. And, probably, a few in the swim.
You can lose in the swim or bike, but not win. The goal of those two is to go as fast as possible while burning as little energy as possible.
Old 11-13-20, 04:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,294 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You can lose in the swim or bike, but not win. The goal of those two is to go as fast as possible while burning as little energy as possible.
A statistical analysis of Pro race results from 2005-2016 revealed the deciding leg is evolving slowly over time. Average results are:

Run – deciding leg 45% of the time
Bike – deciding leg 39% of the time
Swim – deciding leg 16% of the time

Old 11-13-20, 04:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

A statistical analysis of Pro race results from 2005-2016 revealed the deciding leg is evolving slowly over time. Average results are:

Run – deciding leg 45% of the time
Bike – deciding leg 39% of the time
Swim – deciding leg 16% of the time

You still can't win in the water or on the bike. You can establish a lead that turns out to be adequate for the competition, but you cannot win.
Old 11-13-20, 04:23 PM
tomato coupe

You still can't win in the water or on the bike. You can establish a lead that turns out to be adequate for the competition, but you cannot win.
Meaningless statement. If you swim faster than the second place finisher, and match his / her times on the bike and in the run, you won the race in the swim.
Old 11-13-20, 05:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Meaningless statement. If you swim faster than the second place finisher, and match his / her times on the bike and in the run, you won the race in the swim.
No, that's where my advantage was. Those are different statements. And neither of them has a damn thing to do with the OP's issue.
Old 11-13-20, 05:25 PM
tomato coupe

No, that's where my advantage was. Those are different statements.
Semantics for $100, Alex ? It's like saying you can't win the race in the first 26 miles of the run – you can only establish an advantage.
And neither of them has a damn thing to do with the OP's issue.
Then take it up with the person who introduced the off-topic, and don't contribute to it.
Old 11-13-20, 06:51 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The swim can be extremely critical to the overall outcome. Especially if it is an event with drafting allowed.
Old 11-13-20, 08:57 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Hi-I need training/workout ideas on how to improve my fitness so that I don't get dropped in rolling hills during our weekend group ride.

We usually start the ride a dozen strong and end the ride about 5-6, the pace is around 21-22mph right now but they say some days it's even faster. My fellow riders are fast and lean athletes ranging from Cat 1-3.

I am a 40yo male, 6-4, 80kg, and have an FTP around 4.5w/kg. !
That's a strong group that you are getting dropped.

Yeah I can't give advice to someone with an FTP around 4.5w/kg. How long did that take?

While you are here I how do I get to 3.0w/kg? I am seem to be stuck around 2.7/2.8.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 11-14-20, 07:11 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy

While you are here I how do I get to 3.0w/kg? I am seem to be stuck around 2.7/2.8.
A) train more. B) train harder. C) train more and harder.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-14-20, 07:34 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
A) train more. B) train harder. C) train more and harder.
D) Train smarter.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 11-14-20, 10:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
D) Train smarter.
That last point has been my mantra for years. When you've been doing A, B, C and your results are slipping, time for D.
Old 11-14-20, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
E) lose weight

When it comes to power-to-weight, adding power is nice, but if you've already grabbed the low-hanging fruit and are no longer in the untrained category, it might be more fruitful to address the weight portion, something that's viable for most people. In the last two years or so, I've probably increased my FTP about 10%, but my body weight has gone down about 20%. Losing the body weight has had a much bigger impact.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-14-20, 03:06 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That last point has been my mantra for years. When you've been doing A, B, C and your results are slipping, time for D.
Training smarter can often allow for harder hard training, which can be quite the boon.

In any case, it has its limitations like everything. You simply can't train smart enough on 4-8 hours a week to continually improve. As with everything, at some point, the stimulus has to change.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-15-20, 10:04 AM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
That's a strong group that you are getting dropped.

Yeah I can't give advice to someone with an FTP around 4.5w/kg. How long did that take?

Yesterday it was even stronger with a bunch of young bucks showed up. Did everything people told me but still got dropped. Just trusting the process at this point.

I don't know your background. have been doing endurance sports in some shape or form since 1995. 25 years of almost uninterrupted racing, exercising, training. I am not gifted or anything genetically. Played basketball in HS, I was so weak I would throw up in the middle of practice workouts. It took time.

People giving really really smart advice here. Listen to them. I got stuck in a similar training routine past few years. I got used to it mentally, my body adjusted to it. You gotto shake things up.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
E) lose weight

When it comes to power-to-weight, adding power is nice, but if you've already grabbed the low-hanging fruit and are no longer in the untrained category, it might be more fruitful to address the weight portion, something that's viable for most people. In the last two years or so, I've probably increased my FTP about 10%, but my body weight has gone down about 20%. Losing the body weight has had a much bigger impact.
Me going from 185 to 170-75 helped me tremendously past few years. 175 is good but 170 is dancing on the pedals like nirvana though found it harder to sustain.

Training smarter can often allow for harder hard training, which can be quite the boon.

In any case, it has its limitations like everything. You simply can't train smart enough on 4-8 hours a week to continually improve. As with everything, at some point, the stimulus has to change.
MILLION TIMES THIS. Like I wrote above I've been stuck in the same training routine the past few years. It's been convenient but I couldn't push my ceiling higher. this is about to change.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 11-15-20, 10:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
<snip>

MILLION TIMES THIS. Like I wrote above I've been stuck in the same training routine the past few years. It's been convenient but I couldn't push my ceiling higher. this is about to change.
Well fer God's sake, tell us what worked if anything does. You're not alone there.
Old 11-16-20, 01:30 PM
Tsurf01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repeats rule

Originally Posted by colnago62
I would do some hill repeats that simulates the amount of time the hill requires to get over ( I assuming they are short climbs ). I would do them in my VO2 max zone minimal recovery.
im an older rider, and I know what it’s like to get dropped on those few efforts! Ugh! However, someone else here said to focus on Hill repeats at your O2 Max / boarder line capacity. That’s good advice . Assuming you have a decent base , that’s what I would focus on .
Old 11-19-20, 12:49 PM
aceSSone

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi-I need training/workout ideas on how to improve my fitness so that I don't get dropped in rolling hills during our weekend group ride.

We usually start the ride a dozen strong and end the ride about 5-6, the pace is around 21-22mph right now but they say some days it's even faster. My fellow riders are fast and lean athletes ranging from Cat 1-3.

I am a 40yo male, 6-4, 80kg, and have an FTP around 4.5w/kg. I have a relatively big engine; I go fast on the flats, climb well in stable gradients, but I don't necessarily do well in punchy hills. I am currently Cat 4.

The course is mostly flat to rolling hills ~55mi. The flatter section is earlier where we do a decent rotating paceline but it's the rolling hills thru the end where the ride gets feisty. At the time there's already a decent amount of fatigue in my legs. Then the attacks begin left and right. I can follow the first two or three then I usually get popped. This weekend I realized sometimes I'm too slow to react to attacks even if I hear someone's attacking from behind and I let them create a gap.

My question is what are the workouts that I should be looking at in the winter? Should I try to replicate those efforts in my solo training rides or just stick to my current plan and wait for things to improve? Or should be doing longer endurance rides? I acknowledge everyone has their strengths and weaknesses but I believe there's always room for improvement. Am I hopeless?

I welcome everyone's experience and ideas on this very important matter. Thank you!
It could be your position on the bike. where is your saddle? Do you have a setback seat post? Measure your saddle height, move your saddle back as far as safely possible, lower saddle. Try it. you'll get more muscle to use and tire out less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.