Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Raleigh Still Quality?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Raleigh Still Quality?

Old 02-13-19, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That's too bad, but...If you ever get the chance, Port Townsend, WA is a great place to visit. Fort Worden State Park there is the old military base where much of "An Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed. You can rent the old officers' houses and other indoor accommodations once used by service members. During the summer it's common to see seals, sea lions and other marine mammals. There is also camping. I've stayed there twice during bike tours starting in Seattle.

My sister lived there in the 1980s. Beautiful place. I remember lots of loons (the winged kind).
Old 02-13-19, 05:12 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Several LBS's sell Raleigh in my area, including a large reputable dealer, https://www.mikesbikes.com/ and an independent dealer, Elite Bicycles - A Family Bike & Scooter Shop serving Citrus Heights, Roseville, Folsom, Orangevale, Fair Oaks, and the Greater Sacramento area both Raleigh dealers.
Not just mail order.
Old 02-14-19, 08:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Several LBS's sell Raleigh in my area, including a large reputable dealer, https://www.mikesbikes.com/ and an independent dealer, Elite Bicycles - A Family Bike & Scooter Shop serving Citrus Heights, Roseville, Folsom, Orangevale, Fair Oaks, and the Greater Sacramento area both Raleigh dealers.
Not just mail order.
Wheelworks in the Boston area is selling them. Also a large reputable dealer.
Old 02-14-19, 10:18 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Simple question for those in the know... Does Raleigh still make a quality road bike.??
2 years ago I worked in a shop that sold Raleigh. Their road bikes at the time were pretty decent, in par with other brands at that price point.They do not compete in all sectors like other larger brands but if they have what you are looking for, they are quality for the money
Old 02-14-19, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Raleigh

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Simple question for those in the know... Does Raleigh still make a quality road bike.??
One of the bike lines my LBS carries is Raleigh, today.. I find they are fine..

Raleigh, in USA is a Pac Rim sourced bike ... a business requirement to be cost competitive .....

Few bikes" other than Brompton are made in London, or Nottingham England, I met 1 fellow, in Nottingham, on a bike tour through the country, [1991]

He made frames by hand, There, in the basement (ground floor) of a 400 year old house..

* the regional bike shop selling bikes they made the frames for is now pretty much History, there still were a few back then..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-16-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 01:13 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
They've positioned themselves as a mid-priced value leader. They've entered the e-bike market in a big way as well. This model in particular is outrageously fun to ride: Bosch motor with 27.5+ tires. I demo'ed and literally could not stop riding it! With tires offering this much traction and comfort, it rivaled full suspension bikes. With higher battery capacity it would be a home run hit:

https://www.raleighusa.com/tokul-ie-141

snip
Holy spin-cycle! Where's the chainring? Is there some up-gearing hidden in the motor unit? If not, this is just an MTB-shaped electric moped with muscle power only available as an emergency backup.
Old 02-14-19, 01:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
its a mountain climber the market out here has Hunters buying them.. timber company lands allow them behind the locked gates..
considering them a bicycle, not a motorbike (Less fire hazard.)
Old 02-14-19, 03:52 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Holy spin-cycle! Where's the chainring? Is there some up-gearing hidden in the motor unit? If not, this is just an MTB-shaped electric moped with muscle power only available as an emergency backup.
I believe Bosch uses 2.5x internal reduction gearing.
Old 02-15-19, 07:37 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I bought a brand new tamland a couple years ago for under $800 shipped to my door . Can't beat the price for 105 groupset, and carbon fork on a steel frame. The weinman wheels were junk and had a hub crap out at 500 miles. It gave me an excuse to upgrade wheels, which i was planning on anyway, but i was still irritated that they were that bad. I see they are now no longer using those wheels....
Old 02-16-19, 11:36 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Raleigh even in their original hay day were never quality bikes, sure some were expensive, but true to the British way their quality control was often spotty. Having said that the modern Raleigh/Diamondback bikes on the upper end have gotten high reviews. Look up the reviews on the internet for Raleigh Clubman Carbon, the bike got 4 1/2 to 5 stars. Diamondback bikes on the lower price points like the Hannjo series have consistently came out as best buys and quality for the price, even their top of the line Andean 3 Pre Built got rave reviews by both users and windtunnel testing. SOOOOO, I think those two brands are better then most of what Bikes Direct sells except maybe BD's titanium bikes, and I think those two companies offer more bang for the buck then what bike shops sells. You don't have to take my word for it, you can google the best road (even replace the road with mountain) bikes to buy under a $1,000 and Raleigh and/or Diamondback will come up consistently.
Old 02-16-19, 04:36 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
How do you define quality?
I suggest you read “Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance” for a complete discussion of quality. Not something modern society thinks much about. Really, it’s a great read.
Old 03-07-19, 01:11 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I recently ordered a Redux 2 as a second bike and after a trip to my LBS for a dial in it has performed admirably. Been doing 15 mile weeknight sidewalk rides on it and love it. The frame is very solid. Everything else is sourced anyway and easily replaced if I want to. For around $500, it’s a great bike.

Im shopping the gravel bike market now, looking for a 1X, steel, hydraulic disc equipped ride and am having a hard time finding a better spec’ed bike for the money than the Tamland 2.
Old 03-07-19, 01:23 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
My thoughts exactly! You beat me to it! That book is a treatise on the concept. I've read it 3 times over the years & each time got a deeper meaning. That book is one that heavily influenced me...That, & Cosmos by Carl Sagan & A Brief History of Time by Hawking. Both of which I've read (and understood) twice.

Man, I love this forum.
Old 03-08-19, 08:09 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My only fear as brand names get bought up and punched out of the Asian factories is the materials that are used. If you have a stripped down WalMart frame and compare it to a top name stripped down frame, they might look similar on the outside. Once you inspect welds and wall thicknesses you will probably find that the cheap bike is made with much heavier tubing with substandard welds. We have that problem with our aluminum tandem frame. It is aluminum and very heavy. Our new steel custom tandem will likely come in weighing less and will be a much more pleasant ride.

Not that Raleighs are bad. Just that I hope that build quality is maintained.
Old 03-11-19, 09:08 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I like my '17 Stuntman a great deal. It's a unique bike.

One downside to most Raleighs (and many non-high end bikes these days): cheap, no-name hubs that need frequent tightening and crappy bottom brackets that fail quickly. A little cone-wrenching and a $30 XT BB solved both issues for me.

Also, regarding the comment above on "Asian factories": as I'm sure you know essentially every bike is "punched out" in Asia these days. Also, Raleigh uses brand-name tubing, for example the Stuntman is made out of 631.
Old 06-22-19, 12:58 AM
madoser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you like the tourist 2018?

Originally Posted by steve0257
I currently have a 2015 Raleigh Port Townsend and a 2018 Raleigh Tourist, and am quite happy with both of them.

They are by no means top of the line bikes, but they are a good value for what I paid.

How do you like the tourist 2018? i am looking at the tourist 2018 for $250 or the creme caferacer uno for $399
Old 06-22-19, 03:29 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
In its heyday Raleigh was huge making entry level bikes and top end bikes with lightweight reynolds tubing. The quality of the bike was pretty much related to how much you were prepared to pay. Some of the old Raleigh bikes were absolutely stunning engineering for their time. Nowadays Accell are just importing bikes from Bangladesh and slapping the Raleigh brand on them and they are fine serviceable bikes but the factories they use change as Accell finds a cheaper factory. The certification today is far, far stricter than in the past and brakes are far more effective and the use of cheap factories in the far east has bought down prices considerably. The newer cheap high carbon steel frames are getting close to the properties of chromoly steel for strength to weight ratio.

My brother had a Carlton bike back in the day, part of Raleigh and it was absolutely fantastic for the money, it wasn't particularly expensive but was priced slightly above the normal Raleigh range. In contrast a childhood friend who was quite light had his Chopper bike frame break on him as he was cycling. I was also riding a much abused Chopper at the time that I got very cheap in a distressed state and weighed perhaps 50% more than him as much taller and a bit fatter as a child and my bike was fine. I was also more adventurous doing stupid wheelies and jumps because my bike was in garbage condition where as his was pristine in comparison. I would do many stupid things that he would never do. Just making the point that manufacturing quality might have been a bit inconsistent on the Chopper which was a mass market bike produced in a high volume factory.

Raleigh/Carlton carbon fibre bike back in the late 60s.

Old 06-22-19, 05:37 AM
VeeBee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the quality all everything in the current world seems to be lower . I have a 1980's frame which is still in okay condition, just needs a respray.
Old 06-24-19, 07:46 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
They were all hand built bikes. How much time can you give to the details if your pricepoint is to be competitive. Handbuilt in England, boxed, shipped to U.S., distributed to bike shops, assembled, and sold. What was a Raleigh Grand Prix...$115-125 in the boom years. Heck of a product at that price.

I've seen the flaws. But given the choice of a boom era Raleigh built by hand or a robotic built 80's Pana-yata-shiki, I'll take the Raleigh any day.
Funny you should make that comparison, as Panaracer, Miyata, Nishiki, Bridgestone, etc. are generally considered a high-water mark for quality. I have owned a few vintage Raleighs, and while they have style and are durable, they generally do not look nearly as well made as '80s Japanese stuff. I have less experience with the Raleigh Professionals and Internationals, and more with Records and Grand Prix, and if I had a choice between a '70s Grand Prix and an entry level '70s Fuji or Miyata, I would take the Japanese bike 10/10 times.

I was reading an interweb thread a few days ago where someone was looking for a used road bike and had found an Peugeot for sale, and a commenter said how good the European road bikes of the era were. That was utter horse crap... the Euro bikes (esp. entry level French bikes) were awful things. Maybe durable enough, but flexy and not too light, and saddled with European derailleurs and components that were the reason Shimano got so big so quickly. Japanese frame manufacturing went out of style because it was becoming too expensive... but relics from that era are fine bicycles and are far superior to Old Raleighs.

Originally Posted by VeeBee
the quality all everything in the current world seems to be lower . I have a 1980's frame which is still in okay condition, just needs a respray.
While the 'Made In...' sticker seems less prestigious, I promise you that the modern Asian made Raleighs are superior to the Nottingham ones in every way, from weight and performance, to alignment, to straightness of sticker placement. While the old Raleighs were 'hand made', they weren't made as we think of a small builder carefully making individual frames - most were 'unit brazed' - meaning the tubes and lugs and fittings were roughly assembled together, then pushed (by hand) into an oven to complete the brazing. It was a mass production method that could have been done with robots, but they failed to make the investment in robotic technology that could have resulted in consistent and decent quality. But because it was a mass production method relying on human imperfection, the alignment was mediocre-to-bad, the joints were ugly, and there were generally no mounting points or braze ons, unless they were built into a lug or some other part that could not be left out. Cantilever brakes were impossible and water bottle cages had to be held on with clamps.
Old 06-24-19, 09:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
They were all hand built bikes. How much time can you give to the details if your pricepoint is to be competitive. Handbuilt in England, boxed, shipped to U.S., distributed to bike shops, assembled, and sold. What was a Raleigh Grand Prix...$115-125 in the boom years. Heck of a product at that price.

I've seen the flaws. But given the choice of a boom era Raleigh built by hand or a robotic built 80's Pana-yata-shiki, I'll take the Raleigh any day.
Ha- not sure how I missed this the first time around.
Its always fun to read a viewpoint about history that is totally different from so many others that Ive read, concerning a time period that I wasnt around for.

I have read over and again that many Raleigh bikes back in the 70s and early 80s(that were made in England, not Japan) would need to be faced, reamed, and even realigned before reaching the sales floor. The number of times Ive read that seat stays were held to the seat tube with paint or flux is shocking.

You would really rather have a mid-level 70s bike boom Raleigh over an '87 Miyata 912 or an '88 Panasonic DX5000? The fit and finish arent even close. The dropouts on a Prestige frame DX5000 are fantastic- nicely scalloped and not just bulleted then pressed.

As an aside- a $125 bike in '74 is a $650 bike in '19 based on inflation. I would take one of Raleigh's road bikes at $650 today each and every time over a new in box '74.
https://www.raleighusa.com/merit2-r143 $640 shipped to your door.
https://www.raleighusa.com/merit2 $630 shipped to your door.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-19, 02:30 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I enjoy my old Raleigh because it is neat, not practical. It's pretty, but at best, sloppy. For a 1974 bike, you'd think it was built in the 1930's. I like the nostalgia, but I would never give up my Surly. I'm actually considering a NOS Raleigh Special 3i cruiser for farting around on.
Old 06-26-19, 07:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
During the bike boom, when we poured over bicycling gear, magazines, year-end digests and gawked at bike shop windows, only one of my friends rode a Raleigh. It might have been a Grand Prix. He could ride wheelies with that bike. Nobody else could do that with a 10-speed that I knew.

Why did no one else ride a Raleigh? We weren't impressed by them. I know that I wasn't. Was I influenced by print media, first hand inspection, urban myths... I have no idea. Most of us rode French bikes, but there were a few Falcon Merckx's, LeTours, and the odd Italvega that I recall.

My sister had (and still has) a Raleigh 3-speed that she rode in college.

Fast forward to today, and I still have no interest in Raleigh products at all. None. Would I buy one? No, because there's nothing special about them. Quality? I couldn't tell. It's probably better than it was in the 1970s.
Old 07-01-19, 01:45 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Funny you should make that comparison, as Panaracer, Miyata, Nishiki, Bridgestone, etc. are generally considered a high-water mark for quality. I have owned a few vintage Raleighs, and while they have style and are durable, they generally do not look nearly as well made as '80s Japanese stuff. I have less experience with the Raleigh Professionals and Internationals, and more with Records and Grand Prix, and if I had a choice between a '70s Grand Prix and an entry level '70s Fuji or Miyata, I would take the Japanese bike 10/10 times.

I was reading an interweb thread a few days ago where someone was looking for a used road bike and had found an Peugeot for sale, and a commenter said how good the European road bikes of the era were. That was utter horse crap... the Euro bikes (esp. entry level French bikes) were awful things. Maybe durable enough, but flexy and not too light, and saddled with European derailleurs and components that were the reason Shimano got so big so quickly. Japanese frame manufacturing went out of style because it was becoming too expensive... but relics from that era are fine bicycles and are far superior to Old Raleighs.

While the 'Made In...' sticker seems less prestigious, I promise you that the modern Asian made Raleighs are superior to the Nottingham ones in every way, from weight and performance, to alignment, to straightness of sticker placement. While the old Raleighs were 'hand made', they weren't made as we think of a small builder carefully making individual frames - most were 'unit brazed' - meaning the tubes and lugs and fittings were roughly assembled together, then pushed (by hand) into an oven to complete the brazing. It was a mass production method that could have been done with robots, but they failed to make the investment in robotic technology that could have resulted in consistent and decent quality. But because it was a mass production method relying on human imperfection, the alignment was mediocre-to-bad, the joints were ugly, and there were generally no mounting points or braze ons, unless they were built into a lug or some other part that could not be left out. Cantilever brakes were impossible and water bottle cages had to be held on with clamps.

I really can't agree with your comments, Accell use very low end factories typically frames from Bangladesh and those are not the greatest in quality with paint that is easy to chip off and poor welding occasionally. They don't bother to machine the internals of the seat tube properly consequently they often scratch the seatpost when you adjust the height of the saddle. Manufacturing quality is inconsistent and I would say far worse on average. If you compared Taiwan to European frames you'd have a point but just a broad 'far east' description means you are including the very cheapest, lowest end factories that budget brands use nowadays and I certainly can't agree with that.

I remember speaking to a small cycle shop owner about 3 years ago, he was close to retirement and he stated how in the old days someone would buy a bike and you wouldn't see them again. That bike might last the owner decades and people did their own maintenance pretty much as the norm and the manuals included full maintenance information. In contrast modern bikes were often replaced much more quickly. People always looking to upgrade, much higher frame failure rates either through physical damage or fatigue, it's a much more disposable product and they are engineered that way as disposable incomes have become greater and manufacturing costs reduced. He also made the point that in the old days the bikes were often pretty much ready to go with basic assembly but modern bikes need the bike shop to do much more work, adjusting gears, truing wheels etc, something that many customers wouldn't see.You only have to look in modern manuals about regularly checking your frame for cracks and issues before riding and their warning at least for lightweight road bikes that they are not designed to last a long time.

It's like when people are going to go on a long tour on crap roads with an overloaded bike do they consider carbon fibre or aluminium, no they choose a classic steel frame, maybe an old frame that could be 30 years old even or just a modern steel frame but the point is it's a product engineered to last. Also all these past European brands had both good and bad frames. They would often have basic mass produced high tensile steel frames at entry level and great quality hand made frames made of advanced tubing at the top end, same brand completely different quality level. Also the recycling rate of modern bicycles is absolutely huge, people that buy bikes don't ride them and then chuck them out a few years later. Sadly many modern bikes simply don't work well and need frequent maintenance. Nowadays people are always adjusting and cleaning and lubing their chain in the old days you had 3 speed hubs and fully enclosed chains that you could go out in, in all weathers. The concept of a bike that simply works from day one and you might get away with just pumping up the tyres for the first few years seems like an alien one compared to modern bikes.

Bikes of the past were comparatively much more expensive and there was customer expectation that the product would last a very long time and it was engineered for that. You couldn't buy a cheap dual suspension walmart bike that would be scrap value in only a few months when the suspension stopped working.
Old 07-01-19, 02:50 PM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I am riding a MILITIS 3 raleigh carbon frame i built up from scratch going into 3 years now. The bike has stood up well to the bad road conditions i have to contend with.....
those road conditions is what broke my Raleigh Dyna Tech 700 frame .....

hope to upload pictures soon.
Old 07-01-19, 06:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
He also made the point that in the old days the bikes were often pretty much ready to go with basic assembly but modern bikes need the bike shop to do much more work, adjusting gears, truing wheels etc, something that many customers wouldn't see.You only have to look in modern manuals about regularly checking your frame for cracks and issues before riding and their warning at least for lightweight road bikes that they are not designed to last a long time.
Take this to the c&v forum and I bet you will get quite a few posters who would reference working in shops back 40 years ago where bikes were torn down and properly faced, chased, and aligned due to low quality/tolerance manufacturing. Add in poorly brazed stays too.

Perhaps those memories are the exception, but based on what else I've both read and seen, I don't think it always was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.