Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Does It Make Sense To Start The Season Off in A Small Gear?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-19-20, 10:19 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

Back when I started on the track in the 80’s, we were instructed to spend a few weeks in 84 inch gear to work on legs speed and probably a few other things (I was young and didn’t pay attention). Old habits die hard, but now at 58, does that make sense anymore?
Old 03-19-20, 12:17 PM
nosaad

Bikes: 2019 ICAN AC135, 90's Orbea Lobular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What season?

It's my understanding that peak leg speed diminishes with age, all else equal. I also know that high cadence drills are helpful. Perhaps running a comparatively small gear would be appropriate? Meaning, if you raced on a 90" in the 80's, you were training high cadence 6" lower. If you now race on a 94", slap on an 88" and see how it feels.
Old 03-19-20, 04:49 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I usually use undergear for speed training after my strength (overgear) and power (race gear) are set and just prior to an event. Though sometimes I do switch it up and go overgear/undergear within the same session, but the old "start the season on a small gear" is out for me. You've been weight training all winter, right?
Old 03-19-20, 10:40 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Leg speed can be trained in parallel, and later, but it's really needed

Invest you time on this video called "Science of Speed", from Jim Martin, and pay attention to the activation and relaxation time thing, related to efficient cadence, etc.
You will get that it's important, the leg speed work, but can be fixed later on the training process
Old 03-20-20, 02:07 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I usually use undergear for speed training after my strength (overgear) and power (race gear) are set and just prior to an event. Though sometimes I do switch it up and go overgear/undergear within the same session, but the old "start the season on a small gear" is out for me. You've been weight training all winter, right?
Yes, I have. I think I will bump my gear up a little for the longer intervals. Given the current situation, this is a good year to experiment.
Old 03-20-20, 02:08 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Clythio
Invest you time on this video called "Science of Speed", from Jim Martin, and pay attention to the activation and relaxation time thing, related to efficient cadence, etc.
You will get that it's important, the leg speed work, but can be fixed later on the training process
https://youtu.be/5i9DtIFi9pM
just watched a few minutes. It sounds very interesting. I am going to sit down and watch the rest this weekend.
Old 04-10-20, 11:04 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nosaad
What season?

It's my understanding that peak leg speed diminishes with age, all else equal. I also know that high cadence drills are helpful. Perhaps running a comparatively small gear would be appropriate? Meaning, if you raced on a 90" in the 80's, you were training high cadence 6" lower. If you now race on a 94", slap on an 88" and see how it feels.
I'm not so sure about that. I've also spent time as a track and field sprinter. Research there showed that leg speed of an elite sprinter and a 90-year old woman did not vary significantly. What did happen was stride length decreased and time the feet stayed on the ground increased.

As a 66yo, I can still hit 220 with a light load when I want to, but I consider it more of a parlor trick, since the power behind the high cadence is no longer there.
Old 04-10-20, 11:18 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are a few things that low gear work does for you in the early season.

As mentioned previously it helps your opposing muscles work more efficiently between relaxing and contracting. If they are not working efficiently they will fight each other reducing power and increasing the chance of a pulled muscle.

It will also improve your hip stability. If you bounce you are flexing your hips too much, so we imagine a bolt through our hips attached to the saddle as we work to reduce bounce at high cadence.

And it will help strengthen your lower back -- see the recent back pain thread -- so it is better prepared to handle the higher loads as the season progresses.