Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Daily switching between SRAM ETap and Shimano

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-11-20, 10:10 PM
jcro001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have always had bikes with Shimano gearing. Currently looking at a bike with SRAM ETAP AXS. I am sure I would get used to ETAP if it was my only bike. But is it confusing to switch from Shimano to SRAM ETap every few rides? Anyone with experience doing this?
Old 09-11-20, 10:20 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I am sure you can get used to it. Not much different than driving a manual and auto transmission vehicles.
Old 09-11-20, 10:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
I have a stable that includes STI, bar-end friction, and even a bike with downtube friction shifters. Right now I can hop on any of them without having to acclimate in any major way to the feel of the shifting.

The stable you're contemplating is far less problematic than mine. A lot of people can hop on an unfamiliar integrated-shifting system for the first time, and largely get used to it within a matter of minutes. That's especially true for e-shifting, where your hand technique plays literally zero role in the derailleur actuation. Even if you have a harder time with it, and switching feels a bit strange at first, you can acclimate to acclimation: the more you do it, the less you'll notice the switch. It's very unlikely that you'll have trouble after a few switch cycles.
Old 09-12-20, 05:14 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My Guru runs SRAM Red mechanical and my CAAD 12 runs 105. I am constantly switching between bikes. You get used to it. Not a big problem.
Old 09-12-20, 07:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
No. You get used to both.
Old 09-12-20, 09:01 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
As with other responders, I regularly alternate between mechanical SRAM Red and Force, Shimano Ultegra and 105 and SRAM Red etap. After the first 100 meters up the road from my house, muscle memory kicks in and adaptation is automatic. Only very rarely will I miss a shift, having momentarily confused which group set I am operating. No problemo.
Old 09-12-20, 09:07 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Either adapt, or reprogram Di2 to have paddle shifting--which you can do.
Old 09-12-20, 11:04 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I still reach for downtube shifters ever so often and I haven't ridden a bike with them in 6 years!
Likes For dmanders:
Old 09-12-20, 02:02 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
After a few years with Campagnolo I got a bike with Shimano. At first Shimano interface was weird but then I got accustomed. Every few weeks I change to the other bike and muscle memory works fine.
Old 09-12-20, 02:29 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You'll adapt. When I ran a Sram bike and Shimano bike, it would take a minute or two each time I switched to adapt to the different process.
Old 09-12-20, 02:49 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Also contemplating as I run four bikes with Di2 and thinking SRAM Red eTAP, but no experience.

Top buttons for shifting Di2 are, IMO, a joke and harder to access and use than the paddles. Also, newer Di2 locks you out of two gears, so it’s still a 20 speed, LOL! LBS said it can’t be overridden.
Old 09-12-20, 10:33 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I run 105/grx on the gravel bike and AXS on the road bike. No issues at all.
Old 09-13-20, 05:59 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Also contemplating as I run four bikes with Di2 and thinking SRAM Red eTAP, but no experience.

Top buttons for shifting Di2 are, IMO, a joke and harder to access and use than the paddles. Also, newer Di2 locks you out of two gears, so it’s still a 20 speed, LOL! LBS said it can’t be overridden.
Last I knew the cross-chain lockout could be turned off. There's a specific check-item that is named with obscure techno-babble that you can toggle in E-Tube.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-13-20, 09:03 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jcro001
I have always had bikes with Shimano gearing. Currently looking at a bike with SRAM ETAP AXS. I am sure I would get used to ETAP if it was my only bike. But is it confusing to switch from Shimano to SRAM ETap every few rides? Anyone with experience doing this?
I switch between Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM eTap AXS all the time. It's not confusing at all. I just have to be more aware of which bike I'm riding. I mean "aware" in that Zen Buddhist kind of way.
Old 09-13-20, 09:06 AM
jcro001

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.
Old 09-13-20, 06:11 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jcro001
I have Force 1 and Ultegra di2. I switch between them with no issue.
Old 09-13-20, 07:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
The only problem I have in switching between bikes is when I haven't been on my SS for a while. As I hit the first hill coming out of my neighborhood, I will sometimes start banging on the brake lever, trying to get it into a lower gear.
Old 09-13-20, 11:53 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
In switching between Sram 1x, etap, and a Shimano Di2 TT, 2x mech - it takes a few shifts to have that memory recall. Then only afterwards it’s only during big effort moments when your concentration lapses for a split second do I ever misfire. So I’ll say 99% not an issue but when it happens I definitely pay for it, like accidentally switching to the big gear going up a steep hill.
Old 09-14-20, 03:41 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It's going to depend on the individual. Some, maybe most, will adapt to using the two systems without issues. Others will have trouble with going back and forth. I would likely be the latter. If you're like me, and occasionally, when thinking about other stuff, use the wrong lever to shift the rear, you might struggle with using two systems. This is after 5 years of solely using Di2. I did test ride SRAM etap for a second bike and didn't have an issue with it while focusing, but know going back and forth could be a issue. Besides SRAM's double tap wasn't going to work for me.
Old 09-14-20, 07:14 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
I've currently got 3 bikes at home, with not just 3 different gruppos but 3 different gruppos that each have a different shifting paradigm:
- Campy Record (thumb lever moves chain to smaller ring/sprocket, blade lever moves chain to larger ring/sprocket)
- Shimano 105 (blade lever moves chain to smaller ring/sprocket, brake lever moves chain to larger ring/sprocket)
- SRAM eTap (right blade lever moves chain to smaller sprocket, left blade lever moves chain to larger sprocket, both blade levers simultaneously swaps chainrings)

Yes, you do get used to it ...after a few seconds. There's always that moment when I'm about to make that first shift where my brain goes "Ack! What bike am I on? Oh yeah..."
And I'm not gonna lie: I probably biff a shift once every ride or two specifically because I was expecting the wrong paradigm.

But that's not a good enough reason to stick with only one brand.
Old 09-17-20, 10:58 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I've currently got 3 bikes at home, with not just 3 different gruppos but 3 different gruppos that each have a different shifting paradigm:
- Campy Record (thumb lever moves chain to smaller ring/sprocket, blade lever moves chain to larger ring/sprocket)
- Shimano 105 (blade lever moves chain to smaller ring/sprocket, brake lever moves chain to larger ring/sprocket)
- SRAM eTap (right blade lever moves chain to smaller sprocket, left blade lever moves chain to larger sprocket, both blade levers simultaneously swaps chainrings)

Yes, you do get used to it ...after a few seconds. There's always that moment when I'm about to make that first shift where my brain goes "Ack! What bike am I on? Oh yeah..."
And I'm not gonna lie: I probably biff a shift once every ride or two specifically because I was expecting the wrong paradigm.

But that's not a good enough reason to stick with only one brand.
This is all very interesting, but the main question remains - which system is the best?
Old 09-18-20, 05:03 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I will jump into this discussion. I use Campy Ergo on my road bikes and Sram on my gravel bike. The ergonomics of the hoods are very close. However, the Sram sweep style shifting vs the Campy brifter and thumb button are completely different and when I am on the gravel bike, I invariably miss shifts and find that I miss the Campy down shift motion and up shift motion of multiple gears at the same time, etc. So yea, you do naturally adapt but it is not the same... Personally I have never liked the Shimano big lever / small lever design. My wife has Ultegra 10 speed on her road bike and when I take it out for a test ride after some work on the bike, I have to wonder why so many people like this setup. Slower to shift, not as clean feeling, and well, dare I say - sloppy design.
Old 09-18-20, 07:45 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
You'll adapt rather quickly. I know I did.
Old 09-18-20, 09:05 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Back in the day I rode and raced on a SRAM rig, commuted on a Campy rig, and did cross using Shimano.

The transition was always funny but went away within a handful of shifts.

Campy one was always the funniest as I would be coming off of it and going for the invisible thumbs shifter while flying downhill on a cross bike.