Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds Carbon Wheels - Brake Pads Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 11:30 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey guys -

So I recently picked up a set of Reynolds Thirty-Two full carbon wheels with a Powertap G3 hub for a friggin steal. I finally mounted them yesterday (along with Kool Stop Dura 2 Carbon Pads) and these things rip uphill like nobody's business. However, braking on a steep descent is poop-in-pants-inducing. It seems like after a few hard brakes, the pads are already deteriorating significantly, and, beyond that, braking performance is less than ideal. I have to really yank on the brakes to get a good hard stop (for example when coming down a hill with a stop-sign at the bottom)

I put the Kool Stops on there because I've had good luck with their regular pads on my alloy rims, but I'm not so sure that these are the best. I know that Reynolds has their own blue pads, but a lot of reviews aren't great. There's the Swiss Stop Black Princes for like $40 a set, which others have recommended, but people also say that these wear quickly.

What suggestions do you guys have for pads? Or is this just part and parcel of carbon wheels with rim brakes?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-20, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I have only used the Reynolds pads. My sense is they stop ok when dry, but you have to squeeze harder/apply more pressure compared to an alloy rim. That’s the price you pay for speed.

Unless, of course, you make the jump to disc brakes.
Old 10-28-20, 12:46 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Agreed. I use the Reynolds blue pads with my Reynolds carbon wheels. Ok in dry, need more effort to stop in wet.
Old 10-28-20, 01:58 PM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a new set of Reynolds Assault wheels about 3 years ago and they came with the blue pads. They worked fine - decent stopping power when dry. Not really ideal for wet. Since I try not to ride when it's wet, it's not a big issue. Once they needed replacement, I bought a new set of Reynolds cryo blue pads and they were not the same! I hated them! They must've changed the formula because there was almost no modulations - it's either on or off. So I got a set of Black Prince on right now and the modulation is so much better. Stopping power is very good, even better than the original blue set. And yes, they do wear pretty quickly. When I need new pads again, I will give the Yellow King a try.
Old 10-28-20, 03:32 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Carbon rim brakes and steep descents are a particularly terrifying combo. The only pads I've used that work reasonably well (Swiss Stop Black Prince) have worn very quickly.
Old 10-28-20, 03:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Nobody ever mentions the campy red pads. Reason? just curious
Old 10-28-20, 05:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I use the Black Prince pads too. My blue ones squealed like the dickens. Yeah, they wear out but they work well.
Old 10-28-20, 07:26 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Yellow king user here. They work well for me. I only ride in fair weather though, and I don't have any extended, long descents. The first half-life of the pads wears quickly, but slows its rate after that. From what I understand, Black Prince pads stop faster, but also wear faster- including the brake track.
Old 10-28-20, 07:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Reynolds, now on Token (also blue but much less $) which are fine. Didn't like black prince.
Old 10-28-20, 08:51 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
So far Mrs. NoWhammies has only used the Reynolds blue pads. Maybe I'll look in to the Token pads when it comes time to replace the existing set.
Old 10-28-20, 10:56 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
My Reynolds came with Cryo Blue pads. I wasn’t a fan of them and quickly replaced them with Black Prince pads and I am much happier.
Old 10-29-20, 04:01 AM
Fiery

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nobody ever mentions the campy red pads. Reason? just curious
My guess is that it's a combination of being unaware that Campagnolo pads exist for Shimano-style holders and the general tendency to look for non-groupset manufacturers when buying aftermarket pads. Add to that the image of prestige, style, history of Campagnolo, and people just don't think "I should get me some Campagnolo braking pads for carbon wheels" unless they actually have a Campagnolo groupset and/or Campagnolo carbon wheels.
Old 10-29-20, 05:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
My guess is that it's a combination of being unaware that Campagnolo pads exist for Shimano-style holders and the general tendency to look for non-groupset manufacturers when buying aftermarket pads. Add to that the image of prestige, style, history of Campagnolo, and people just don't think "I should get me some Campagnolo braking pads for carbon wheels" unless they actually have a Campagnolo groupset and/or Campagnolo carbon wheels.
Fair enough.. Fulcrum brand red pads are out there too. Noticed that by most reviews campy/fulcrum pads are well reviewed. The Bora carbon wheelsets have been around long enough (1994) that it would make sense that Campagnolo has some history figuring these out.

OTOH, nobody likewise ever mentions Shimano carbon rim brake pads?
Old 10-29-20, 06:49 AM
Fiery

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I have heard good things about Campagnolo red pads, they and Corima red pads seem to be open secret among people in the know. Of Shimano pads I've mostly heard people say they are better than expected (meaning they are perfectly usable), but I haven't really seen them recommended as an upgrade to someone looking for better performance.
Old 10-29-20, 08:30 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Another +1 for Campy red pads. If not available, the newer version of the Reynolds Cryo Power blue pads work just as good.
Old 10-29-20, 10:32 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Black Prince.