Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kenda Tire Bulging-Ever Happen To You?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 09:31 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

I've had this happen on steel belted radials on cars where a steel belt will break in the sidewall and cause a bump, but I've never had it happen on a bike tire before. The tube is fine and the rim is fine, but the tire, a Kenda 27" X 1.25" just suddenly began bulging out the side. I was almost home when the back tire started making a bumping feel like running over sidewalk cracks, but the road was smooth. At first I thought the tube was the cause so I put in a new tube when I got home and the tire just plain bulges. Weird. I'm not going to risk going far on it and will be replacing it soon, but has this happened to anyone else?
Old 10-28-20, 12:52 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I've had this happen on steel belted radials on cars where a steel belt will break in the sidewall and cause a bump, but I've never had it happen on a bike tire before. The tube is fine and the rim is fine, but the tire, a Kenda 27" X 1.25" just suddenly began bulging out the side. I was almost home when the back tire started making a bumping feel like running over sidewalk cracks, but the road was smooth. At first I thought the tube was the cause so I put in a new tube when I got home and the tire just plain bulges. Weird. I'm not going to risk going far on it and will be replacing it soon, but has this happened to anyone else?
It can happen on any tyre. Either manufacturing defect, or some damage (from external cuts, or long time of use and having the casing cracking).
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 10-28-20, 01:09 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've had it happen with various brands, including Kenda. In the case of the Kenda it was an S-shaped bulge. I got a pair with free shipping on eBay and returning it would have cost more than the tire so I just ate the loss.
Old 10-28-20, 06:53 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yep, probably a ply slip from hitting something. Have had it happen on differing brands.
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 10-28-20, 07:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yes. And it was a Kenda 27" x 1 1/4 road bike tire. In fact I've had it more than once, but it was always on a tire that I'd used way beyond what most others would have trashed. I had it on a similarly old continental tire too. This was back in the days when riding was an occasional thing for me and the bike sat for weeks with tires flat and might have been moved and rolled on those flat tires.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-28-20, 08:33 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I've had it happen with various brands, including Kenda. In the case of the Kenda it was an S-shaped bulge. I got a pair with free shipping on eBay and returning it would have cost more than the tire so I just ate the loss.
Yes, this is an S shaped bulge and the tire still looks like new. I just put them on this last spring. I also got these online haha. I might as well go to the local hardware store and pick me up one there. I guess I expected more from the Kendas. Thanks for the reply
Old 10-28-20, 09:51 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Yes, this is an S shaped bulge and the tire still looks like new. I just put them on this last spring. I also got these online haha. I might as well go to the local hardware store and pick me up one there. I guess I expected more from the Kendas. Thanks for the reply
I've had a quite good experience with Kendas. As have most local mechanics/shops I've talked with.
For below 20 $ tyres (local, Serbian prices), those are the ones I'd recommend (along with CST).
Old 10-28-20, 04:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I had it on a Kenda 27” tire after a year or so on the bike. I replaced them with Panaracer Pasella and am happy with them. They are bit more $ but way better quality.
Old 10-28-20, 05:50 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I went to the local hardware store and found a 27" Bell for 20 bucks. I mounted it and I really prefer the tread design over the Kenda, which I still have on the front. After riding the MTB this AM (32* F) I was sweating within 2 miles going up my 7% grade and after 20 miles roundtrip I was off to the hardware store for a new tire for the road bike. It's on, I cleaned the gears and chain, readjusted everything and what a joy to ride. I do this for the exercise, but pushing a tank up hill is just too extreme for me, even with the much lower gears. We'll see how the Bell tire holds up.