Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

USPS woes on irreplaceable vintage part - don't suppose any of you work there?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

USPS woes on irreplaceable vintage part - don't suppose any of you work there?

Old 10-28-20, 01:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

But dude, it's, like, raining.
So hard, the post office I tried to burn down went out.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-28-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 03:22 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Dang, y'all, get a room.

Old 10-28-20, 04:05 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
My apologies to everyone who has posted or read this thread. I had no idea that sharing my experience would offend and upset. I tried my best but obviously some members have taken offense so I humbly delete my response to conspiratemus1 and ask RobbieTunes to consider deleting his. Again, my apologies to everyone I've offended.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-28-20, 04:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,132 Posts
Well PB,
Seems like this thread has derailed like most do. And the facts get turned inside out and the opinions start going to the top of the heap. It always seems to go this way on forums. Too bad that it happens. Aber schade, MH
Old 10-28-20, 04:45 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
My apologies to everyone who has posted or read this thread. I had no idea that sharing my experience would offend and upset. I tried my best but obviously some members have taken offense so I humbly delete my response to conspiratemus1 and ask RobbieTunes to consider deleting his. Again, my apologies to everyone I've offended.
Not sure why you got jumped on after for sharing your experience and voicing your opinions and frustrations in your first comment.

Everyone's on pins and needles in this country. Hopefully tensions with our countrymen, USPS, and this forum calm down after this election, but I have my concerns. Maybe all this existed before and it's just the veneer of civility has worn thin.

Anyways, here's hoping this rare German stem makes it's way back through the global mail system and shows up on Randy or Francophile's doorstep.
Old 10-28-20, 06:46 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
About a year ago I bought a 2-bike storage rack for my apartment from a well-known, river-based internet retailer.

The building I live in has security at the door 24/7 and an electronic locker system for delivery. If anything is too big or the lockers are full, security takes the package and notifies us.

First time it was registered as delivered with a cryptic code. Security, building management and the locker owner/operator had no idea what happened.

Seller sent a replacement. A different carrier than the first. This time USPS had it listed as "out for delivery" for days on end. Eventually they just told me it was lost. Security, building management and the locker owner had no idea what happened.

Seller sent a replacement. A different carrier than the first and second. Much like the first time, a cryptic delivery code. Security, building management and the locker owner had no idea what happened.

I got a refund and, months later, bought the same item from Home Depot, delivered there and picked up in person.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, 11 months after all the delivery attempts. I'm coming out late on a Friday night, mildly under the influence. The guard stopped me, saying something about "a bunch of packages" she has for me, and that turned out to not be any sort of euphemism... Sure enough, three identical packages, none of which do me any good since I only have 2 bikes! Nobody responsible wants to talk to me about what went wrong or why nobody could be arsed to look into it when I contacted them through so many means each time.

Aside from this, these locker systems have been very good for me. I get a text and e-mail with a code, punch it in and I can see a picture of myself collecting each package online. I just hope I can repair any damaged reputation I might have with that large retail giant.
Old 10-28-20, 09:34 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Well, I did 33 years as a conveyor mechanic / electronics technician with the USPS. Retired 5 years ago. It seems like the USPS really declined in the last 5 years. Coincidence? Anyhow, I have some stories I can tell!
I did my 33 years as a carrier, retiring in 2013 - and the USPS downhill slide started with the 'buy-out' in '92!

Sorry this post isn't 'on track'

(Cue the Rod Serling voice) "We now return you to your previously scheduled interweb post..."

-- but at least they've tracked your shipment - to the wrong country!

FedEx isn't any better - I had ordered a car part from a mail-order place just 30 miles away - normally next day delivery. Ordered and shipped on Wednesday, should have been here Thursday. . Nope, not this time. It went from Akron to Richfield (suburb of Cleveland where the FedEx Ground distribution center is), then on to Buffalo NY where it sat over the weekend (FedEx Ground didn't work on weekends back then)... Then Monday it went to Rochester NY the next day, then Tuesday to Albany NY. Someone in Albany must have noticed the error and it was FLOWN on Wednesday to their FedEx Express hub in Columbus OH, trucked up to Richfield (again) on Thursday, and then finally delivered on Friday. Ten days, for what should have been next day. It least their tracking worked! I was following it daily - that's how I knew where it was!!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 10-28-20, 09:56 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
About a year ago I bought a 2-bike storage rack for my apartment.....

.....Fast forward to a few weeks ago, 11 months after all the delivery attempts. I'm coming out late on a Friday night, mildly under the influence. The guard stopped me, saying something about "a bunch of packages" she has for me, and that turned out to not be any sort of euphemism... Sure enough, three identical packages, none of which do me any good since I only have 2 bikes!
Write “Return to Sender” on each box?

I wonder if the retail giant will send you 3 shipping labels?
Old 10-29-20, 05:39 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I recently had a USPS package that I was tracking take a left turn and get "delivered" to an address 50 miles away. No one would talk to me because it was "delivered". It was a used book brokered through amazon, so the seller just sent me a refund, verses trying to find the item.
Old 10-29-20, 08:01 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I recently had a USPS package that I was tracking take a left turn and get "delivered" to an address 50 miles away. No one would talk to me because it was "delivered". It was a used book brokered through amazon, so the seller just sent me a refund, verses trying to find the item.
Same issue with Amazon
Finding the venue to even report it is difficult
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-29-20, 08:07 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I filed some sort of report form, but they didn't really have an option for a simple package getting misdirected. It was funneling me towards "Does this package contain cremated human remains?" if not, piss off. I "kid" you not...
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 10-29-20, 10:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Perhaps this can help explain it.:
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
T He had forgotten to tell me he had left an employer, but I had shipped it USPS Priority Insured to that location. Fairly important detail. Started the logistical problem. Most definitely not your fault.

Tracking revealed the freewheel arrived at the large company in a few days. This fulfilled the USPS system's goal. It was delivered it where you sent it. If the whole thing ended there, everything is just fine. The automation worked to that point. USPS is people, but they are just operators between the drop and the delivery It's just little bitty freight; lots and lots of little bitty freight. Sorters look at zip codes if the automation doesn't scan a bar code. On our personal level, we'd all like to think someone actually looks at the address and thinks to themselves "we need to send this to this person," and feels a burden to do so. That does not happen, and cannot, given the volume. Most postal employees do care and do take pride in what they do, but they operate within a system. We discount what they do because we've taken it for granted for so long.

To us, mail is personal. To the system, it is not. It's a high volume of objects moving through a system of transfer from point A to point B. Hugely efficient when you consider what it does, but not geared to an individual level. If it was, a stamp would be $3.00, there would be no junk mail. (And that might be a good idea.)

The client inquired with the shipping and receiving department and was told because he was no longer an employee, they returned the package to USPS and marked it "RETURN TO SENDER" about a week later. That started the whole system problem, as if marking "Return to Sender" is the same as buying postage and making a label. It's not. Not your fault, not the USPS fault. Shipping and Receiving at that firm simply tried to fudge the system. The system likely has no default protocol for "let's just consider this scanned as delivered barcode to mean 'return to sender'."

We waited a month, and nothing was returned. I filed the official USPS forms to search for the package. About every 30 days I received an email notice that USPS was still looking for the package. This is how you got it back in the end, but in the first 30 days, the system is simply waiting for it to show "delivered," and the system was showing that because it was. I don't think there's a system status for "delivered back." Your form triggered a default to flag it, likely after 30 days, when the tracking number was either scanned again or input by a human. The time frame is sort of arbitrary, but based on statistics that show almost everything floating around in the system gets found in 30 days.

After the officially advised waiting time, I filed an insurance claim, which was denied a few weeks later because "TRACKING REVEALED THE PARCEL WAS DELIVERED." No amount of frustration and time on my part could persuade USPS to reconsider an insurance claim. I sent the client a replacement freewheel, at my expense. That was great of you, for a customer whose failure to give you a reliable address triggered the whole problem.

Insurance covers it if it's lost, damaged, or stolen between you and the delivery destination you specified. The coverage is only relative to that. It is not a warranty for the unpaid return voyage. They really are separate transactions.

1. We'd like to think "we paid for the postage" and that should take care of it. (System 1). In this case, it did. After that, a SNAFU occurred because of further human decisions and actions unrelated to you or the USPS.

2. Then, we'd like to think "we paid for insurance in case it got lost, stolen, or damaged while en route" and that should take care of it. (System 2) Different system. The covered property was the package. The covered location was between you and the delivery address. The coverage period was from when you mailed it to when it was delivered to the delivery address. I use past tense because once delivered as addressed, without damage, coverage ends. The item was not lost, stolen, or damaged between the time and place you mailed it, to the time and place it was delivered where you asked. The coverage ended at that point. It does not go on and on in case some shipping and receiving department decides to toss a box back into the system.

However, I continued to receive an email about every 30 days telling me USPS "CONTINUES TO SEARCH FOR TRACKING #___________ AND HAS BEEN UNABLE TO LOCATE THIS PARCEL." Shortly after the anniversary of filing the search request I received an email apologizing for the lost parcel and that the search had concluded. The system was tasked to trace that number, and the delivery notification that would shut that trace down was overridden to look for that bar code. Remember, in the system, it was just dropped in, outside of any protocol. The tracking number was flagged, so it was likely it was not being scanned, which means it was not moving. ( The question is, where was it sitting?)

About two weeks later, I found the lost freewheel in my PO Box. The system's people did this. Someone likely scanned the box and the tracking number showed up with a flag. They then sent it to where you wanted it, but not where you sent it. Not where the system needed it to go, but where you needed it to go, which was back to you. Free. After the initial correct delivery in the system, it's not much different than an empty McDonald's bag being dropped into a mailbox. But in this case, that piece of "trash" had a tracking number on a bar code, and it eventually ended up back with you.

RETURN TO SENDER had clearly worked because of people: you notified them, and they input the tracking number in a system designed to look for it, and overrode the system to ignore that it was delivered. "Return to Sender" was a good song, but is not a USPS guarantee. Ask UPS or FedEx to take something back that's been correctly delivered, and someone is going to foot that bill and prepare a label.
--- for the (imagine President Trump's voice saying) very, very--- very patient. "really, really lovely, just beautiful and we all love it." possibly the only impact on pop culture he'll have...reminds me of Fernando's Hideaway on SNL. I'm still waiting for my COVID herd mentality.
The US Postal System was so good for so long, we now consider it more than it actually is. People took our mail and delivered our mail and while they were really just material handling, they made it personal for us. Times changed, and the system changed, and what worked before does not work now, nearly so well. Tons of factors, just tons. "...really, really beautiful" or "...really, really horrible" factors.

I sent my son $200 cash in a birthday card when he was in college. Dumb, I know. He never got it. How did someone know? I went to the Post Office in my 4,000 person town. The Postmaster took an interest, for no reason other than a piece of mail did not get delivered, and he owned that. He said "send another, and we'll track it." No bar code, just another card. I sent $200 more. Seems that the post office put the college mail in a cart, on a dock behind the fenced-in annex, which was picked up by a college employee, who then separated it by dorms and then someone else, not a postal employee, put it in the dorm mailboxes. They watched the guy pick it up and take it to his home. They found my original card, with the $200 in it. The miscreant hadn't gotten around to opening it yet...They returned it to me, not my son, because I was the customer; my stamp was the purchase of the postal services for that piece of mail. My son had to satisfy himself with the 2nd $200 I sent. I think I bought bike parts with the returned money.

I mailed a large box of Christmas presents to Houston. They went to New Orleans first, for some reason. I got blamed for ruining Christmas. I asked for a trace, they found it, and a Houston postal employee personally took the entire box to my relatives in Houston, the day before Christmas. It's not the people.

I still give a Christmas present to my newspaper carrier, and my mail carrier. I just don't see why not.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-29-20, 01:01 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think the problem for me, is when some package or letter gets lost in the system, the postal employee only cares about whether he followed all the correct procedures to the letter, or not. The fact that the package did not arrive, frustrating the entire purpose of the transaction, is completely irrelevant to such a person. I find that infuriating, and that's why I don't do business with them any more, if I can possibly avoid it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-29-20, 02:10 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think the problem for me, is when some package or letter gets lost in the system, the postal employee only cares about whether he followed all the correct procedures to the letter, or not. The fact that the package did not arrive, frustrating the entire purpose of the transaction, is completely irrelevant to such a person. I find that infuriating, and that's why I don't do business with them any more, if I can possibly avoid it.
I felt similarly for a long time. But after I had to file a claim with UPS on three different occasions and all were denied for "insufficient packing", when one of those items used a manufacturer's actual packaging they ship all of their products in, I gave up. FedEx has only damaged one frame shipped to me, my Bertoni, in which they somehow managed to snap off half a top tube cable guide, they snubbed the shipper for insufficient packaging (BS), seller ended up returning half my purchase cost, on a mint bike already sold BIN cheap, crazy it was virgin, virtually unridden and took this damage. I was pissed.

I always shipped DHL and continued to do so until they stopped domestic service. I was pretty lost when that happened. I only got into using USPS a few years back when my eBay sales picked up, in the days before all of the feedback extortion and ghost mailing nonsense got way out of hand. Generally speaking they've been pretty solid, and - knock on wood - up until today, after hundreds of packages shipped through them, I've never once had to file a claim. I think it says a lot, I have accounts with all three major carriers and have equally used them all.

USPS usually costs me half as much (or less) to ship 90% of things in the USA. They made the international shipping process so easy, I couldn't say "No". I admit, I'll have reservations when this is said and done. For our neighbors to the north, I usually try to find someone with family near the border that can pick up. I've sent a few things that way in the past to fellow BF'ers. But it's not always possible for anyone more than an hour north of the border. With Covid, that prospect has become all but impossible anyway.

I think I would use them again for international shipping, but if one of the other two big vendors reservations

Old 10-29-20, 02:19 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I had that problem with eBay. I wanted the part in question, saw that it was "out for delivery" so i waited an extra hour at my office. It didn't turn up. I checked the tracking again, saw it was now "delivered." Oh, great. Checked the other offices on my floor; no one had my package.

After waiting a few days i opened a case on eBay. Ebay investigated, saw the package had been delivered, and closed the case.

So, apparently, if the package is delivered, that's the end of it. No one could tell me where it was delivered, and i couldn't prove it hadn't reached me, so end of story.

Ebay customer service said someone else in your office must have taken it. I argued no, there is no one else. Well, you can't be sure of that. Yes i can! the office is one room, with one door, and one person in it (me). Well, whatever, says eBay: it was delivered. Case closed.

Never did find the package.
Old 10-29-20, 02:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I think the problem for me, is when some package or letter gets lost in the system, the postal employee only cares about whether he followed all the correct procedures to the letter, or not. The fact that the package did not arrive, frustrating the entire purpose of the transaction, is completely irrelevant to such a person.
And he told you this? It may be protocol to help determine what went wrong.

I’ve had mail stolen, twice. The 2nd time, I caught him. He agreed not to press charges after I agreed to same.

I sent stuff to my brother in Philly, twice, via Sears. It’s Philly, of course it didn’t get there. When the Sears employee used my Sears card to buy stuff they caught her.

I’ve had it erroneously delivered to a neighbor one block over, a preacher. After the UPS driver took me over to his house, he found it. Miracle.

Amazon now sends a picture of it, delivered.
Imagine how many dishonest people have to act for that to be their protocol.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-29-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 02:54 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I had that problem with eBay. I wanted the part in question, saw that it was "out for delivery" so i waited an extra hour at my office. It didn't turn up. I checked the tracking again, saw it was now "delivered." Oh, great. Checked the other offices on my floor; no one had my package.
After waiting a few days i opened a case on eBay. Ebay investigated, saw the package had been delivered, and closed the case.
I had this happen a couple of times with items being delivered to my office in Manhattan. Marked as delivered, but nowhere to be seen. Fortunately, however, the items always magically appeared a few days later, with no explanation. Where my parents live on Long Island, however, they have had only impeccable service.

As others have mentioned the scale and scope of the work they are doing these days, with e-commerce being what it is, in truly mind boggling. Like any big organization, there are so many people involved that there are bound to be some careless or apathetic apples in the bunch. I used to live down the block from the local post office in my Queens neighborhood, which was also a "hub" location, and there were some interesting things to observe for sure. But, in my experience, the "private" carriers aren't any better. In a heavily populated area like this, you are going to see plenty of low men on the totem pole that eventually get beaten into submission by the large number of packages they deal with every day, and the less than respectful customers that are also in the mix.

I do a fair amount of shipping for my job, and I've had issues with just about everyone (and don't even get me started on moving companies/furniture delivery companies/last mile logistics providers). Some of the damage I've seen to products has been truly incredible, as in it's hard to imagine how something could have been mistreated so badly unless it was intentional.
Old 10-29-20, 03:22 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,405 Posts
Entertaining thread, thanks to everyone.

My .02. **** happens. While one can be frustrated in the moment, after some time, that frustration goes away. I have taught myself to cut that time way way down. Lost damage bike/frame/part? Honestly, who gives a ****? It is a hobby and should bring you joy, nothing else. Face it, any money lost was being pissed away on a luxury, was it really "lost"?

Billions of packages/letters are shipped every day. Why dwell on the exception? It's absolutely no fun.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-29-20, 04:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I’ve had mail stolen, twice. The 2nd time, I caught him. He agreed not to press charges after I agreed to same.
Wait, what charges could he have brought up? Are we missing part of this story?
Old 10-29-20, 04:42 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
. . . They [USPS] made the international shipping process so easy, I couldn't say "No". I admit, I'll have reservations when this is said and done. For our neighbors to the north, I usually try to find someone with family near the border that can pick up. I've sent a few things that way in the past to fellow BF'ers. But it's not always possible for anyone more than an hour north of the border. With Covid, that prospect has become all but impossible anyway.

. . .

We aren't so backward that the mail stagecoach gets robbed regularly. I've imported ~70 C&V items this year, about 3/4 from the U.S.,, most from eBay but some directly from the retailer's own on-line store. Not a single thing has been lost and only one failed to meet the estimated arrival date. The one thing that was late was "delivered to Canada" but not "in Canada", i.e., held in Customs as I explained earlier. Before it arrived, I e-mailed the seller to explain that's why I hadn't left feedback yet -- I thought it used to be that for small sellers, eBay didn't release money until the recipient left feedback. He thanked me but said, "Oh, Canada never loses anything. I'm sure it'll turn up soon", which it did about 3 days later. Sure, if you export hundreds of packages a month, you might start to see a few losses. Whether they'd be lost at a higher rate than shipping hundreds a month domestically, I wouldn't know.

Now, granted, it is more of a nuisance to ship to foreign countries, more paperwork and you have to go to the post office (at least we do). So we expect and accept that you will charge more for shipping to us.

But it's not for fear of loss that Canadians with access to U.S. addresses will try to get you to ship there. Rather, it's because we can then smuggle the goods into Canada without incurring the Harmonized (fed+prov.) Sales Tax, a type of VAT, which applies on all purchases brought in or mailed in legally, just as if they were purchased in a Canadian store -- in Ontario this would be 13% of the Canadian-dollar value and typically exceeds what would have been charged in duty before NAFTA (or USMCA or whatever it's called now.) Canadians used to drive over the border all the time for cheap gas, cigarettes, and liquor, (doesn't even have to be duty-free to be cheaper); a quick side trip to the post-office or mail-box store would be no trouble. The usual dangers to you of shipping to an address that's not the same as the credit-card billing address are underlined.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 10-29-20, 04:44 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Wait, what charges could he have brought up? Are we missing part of this story?
My guess is that there might have been some form of corporal punishment, or exuberant persuasion involved in the conversation!
Old 10-29-20, 05:06 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Entertaining thread, thanks to everyone.

. . .

Billions of packages/letters are shipped every day. Why dwell on the exception? It's absolutely no fun.

Hospitals have a list of "Never" events: Exceptions that must never happen, and need never happen. Operating on the wrong patient, operating on the wrong body part, and accidental transfusion of mis-matched blood are three examples. (Deliberate transfusion of mis-matched blood can be necessary to save a life, and is actually safer than a sloppy attempt to provide matched blood.) Things that we wish never happened but still do, sometimes with serious harm, are either not fully preventable by the current state of knowledge or would require so much process control that necessary patient care would be delayed. (e.g., requiring two nurses to double-check every drug given to a patient would break down if there is only one RN on duty at night in a nursing home, say. So we teach the one nurse to be really really careful, with checklists and the like. But robot drug-dispensers do reduce errors, because we invested in that technology to improve safety.)

A long way down the list of priorities that society needs to fix is making it impossible for a postal worker to toss a package addressed to Canada into the China bin. Canada is America's #1 trading partner, China must be #2 . It's a good bet that half the foreign-destined mail flowing into JFK is going to one of those two countries. That it doesn't get mixed up more often tells me the system and its operators do, as you say, work properly almost all the time. When it doesn't, that's what insurance is for.
Old 10-29-20, 05:52 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Horror stories asides, I am sure either francophile or @randyjawa will get the stem, probably before Christmas. If not, i will send Randy mine as soon as i find a suitable (English, 1950’s) replacement. The bike will be finished before the last snowfall is plowed from the streets of Thunder Bay.
Old 10-29-20, 06:38 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
This is far more likely a management issue than an employee issue. It is possible to encourage employees to use judgment and initiative to solve a problem for a client or a customer. It is also possible to systematically beat that kind of thinking out of each and every employee. In far more places than not, the employees reflect the mindset of the system put in place by management, for good and for ill.
Old 10-29-20, 07:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
It is also possible to systematically beat that kind of thinking out of each and every employee.
The though has crossed my mind. But I think if a customer started doing that, it might not be received very well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.