Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Half water half brake fluid in brakes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-02-20, 02:09 PM
anze_awesome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So my brakes are in a horrible state and I need to wait until I get the parts I need to repair them, and while I still had shimano mineral oil in the brakes, there just wasn't enough of it, and in a desperate state (I have to film a bike edit tomorrow (I have a dirt jumper)) I had to put a little bit of water in my brakes to mix with the brake fluid so my brakes at least somewhat work and I don't crash on the jump where we'll film the edit. So I know it isn't good to put water in your brakes but is there a big difference if I still had some brake fluid in the brakes and what damage can I do to my brakes?
EDIT: So I had to put a really small amount of water in because none of my friends had shimano mineral oil, and i had literary NO BRAKES, because I didn't have enough fluid in (was going to shoot a video, and it was the last day to do it, had to go on a big jump and NEEDED the brakes). I didn't have time to go to a bike shop (no car, closest one is 30min away + didn't have time). But last minute a friend suddenly found some mineral oil and I got rid of the old fluid and put that one in, and the next day went and bought some shimano mineral oil, so luckily I never even used the damn brake with some water in. Also I knew that it wasn't good to put water in, but I absolutely needed the brakes, and there was NO other option. Also yes, I realize I'm stupid

Last edited by anze_awesome; 06-08-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 03:03 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Water will boil from high temps during braking, which may significantly affect braking. You will now need to bleed, clean (to make sure that all of the water is out), and then refill with the proper fluid. You've created a dangerous condition, mate. You need to resolve it ASAP.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-02-20, 03:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If this is guerrilla marketing to get us to watch the youtube video, it is working.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-02-20, 03:17 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
"Film a Bike Edit" WTF is that?
You shoot.... and then you edit.

People frequently do something because "they need to get the shot"... and somebody gets hurt.... that's why they have permits and insurance.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-02-20, 03:29 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Water can be very corrosive but you can use mineral oil
Old 06-02-20, 03:36 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Assuming this is serious: you won't stop that well once the system gets warm. It is called brake fade: once a fluid starts to reach its boiling point, it starts to turn to a gas, which is very compressible, which means you don't stop. Crazy scary when it happens in a performance car. You're probably not fine for MTB, or anything else that uses alot of braking and gets the caliper warm. Also, good luck drying out your brake system. You will have moisture in the system, which will affect the performance in the future, in addition to potentially causing corrosion issues.

Last edited by jefnvk; 06-02-20 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-02-20, 03:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Water will boil from high temps during braking, which may significantly affect braking. You will now need to bleed, clean (to make sure that all of the water is out), and then refill with the proper fluid. You've created a dangerous condition, mate. You need to resolve it ASAP.
Yup. I covered this in another thread on brake fluid. If the fluid were DOT fluid it would be less bad...still bad, however...because the DOT fluid dissolves the water.

For anze_awesome: With mineral oil, the water separates from the oil. But it’s even worse. Because the mineral oil has a lower density then the water, the water will seek the lowest point. That’s where the heat is. Get the brakes hot enough and the water will boil or even form steam. That’s a gas. Just. Like. Air. You’ll have no brakes.

You are going to want to get rid of all of the oil and you have to flush the system of any water. But the oil and water don’t mix and neither do solvents you’ll need to use. I’d start with mineral spirits to remove the mineral oil. Then follow that up with acetone to remove the water. You may need to completely disassemble the calipers...completely!...to make sure no water is trapped in pistons or other nooks and crannies.

It might be easier to just buy new brakes.

Very bad idea. You would have been better off to just use baby oil or mineral oil from CVS. That’s still a bad idea...there are viscosity issues...but it would be easier to clean.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-02-20, 04:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Hmmm. First post, beyond bizarre
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-02-20, 04:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I've never even set up hydro disc brakes, and I know that you don't introduce water into the system.
Old 06-02-20, 04:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Seth Bike Hacks Seth actually did an experiment in which he used baby oil for brake fluid. It worked.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-02-20, 05:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Were any actual babies harmed in producing that video?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-02-20, 05:14 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I've said many times we should all learn to work on our own bikes. I now wish to retract that statement.

Old 06-02-20, 06:27 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Wow, yeah, so much to unpack from the OP.

Water is is not a very good choice for hydraulics. It’s only stable in a narrow range of temperatures; it freezes solid easily and evaporates quickly. It’s also hard on the surfaces of metal parts, which is bad for your seals.

Brake fluid tends to absorb water easily, which then gives your brake fluid all the undesirable properties of using water in hydraulics.
Water and oil oil don’t mix well unless you use a blender, then you get mayonnaise.

I have a system that is capable of pumping seawater as the operational fluid, but it’s really for a high volume, high pressure operation, where having to tear down the pumps afterwards will be the least of our problems.
Old 06-02-20, 08:23 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by anze_awesome
So my brakes are in a horrible state and I need to wait until I get the parts I need to repair them, and while I still had shimano mineral oil in the brakes, there just wasn't enough of it, and in a desperate state (I have to film a bike edit tomorrow (I have a dirt jumper)) I had to put a little bit of water in my brakes to mix with the brake fluid so my brakes at least somewhat work and I don't crash on the jump where we'll film the edit. So I know it isn't good to put water in your brakes but is there a big difference if I still had some brake fluid in the brakes and what damage can I do to my brakes? pls help.
So instead of buying mineral oil from the grocery store, brake fluid from the auto parts store, or OEM Shimano fluid from a LBS, you decided to put water in it, why?
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-02-20, 10:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Ross520
So instead of buying mineral oil from the grocery store, brake fluid from the auto parts store, or OEM Shimano fluid from a LBS, you decided to put water in it, why?
Well, they are hydraulic.

Also, admittedly very rarely, sometimes what you read on the internet didn't really happen.
Old 06-03-20, 03:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hmmm. First post, beyond bizarre
It’s a sign of the times.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-20, 05:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
hmmm. First post, beyond bizarre
and maybe last ???
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-03-20, 05:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Yeah, hopefully they will czech for socks at some point....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-20, 05:39 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Water and oil oil don’t mix well unless you use a blender, then you get mayonnaise.
Feel free to do a kitchen experiment. You will not get mayonnaise with water and oil, no matter how long you blend.

You also don’t need a blender to make mayonnaise.

A whisk will do quite nicely, though if determined enough a fork will do, or if really determined a spoon or chopsticks.

You do need an emulsifier such as lecithin found in egg yolk. A soluble thickener (such as the mucilage found in mustard) is wise too. Finally, lowering the pH with a bit of acid from lemon juice or vinegar helps too.

-mr. bill
Old 06-03-20, 08:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
You do need an emulsifier such as lecithin found in egg yolk. A soluble thickener (such as the mucilage found in mustard) is wise too. Finally, lowering the pH with a bit of acid from lemon juice or vinegar helps too.

-mr. bill
And, after doing all that, you no longer have a mixture of just oil and water.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-03-20, 09:16 AM
Midou
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmm, interestung
Old 06-03-20, 09:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have GOT to see the video of this.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-03-20, 10:11 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I don't get the whole death and destruction attitude here. Using water and glycol in shimano brakes used to be a thing on another cycling forum. They did in with DH bikes if I recall correctly. Worked great, didn't go all stiff in the cold, didn't boil etc.

The reality of the matter is, that it requires some serious work to get bicycle brakes boiling hot. Or rather, you'll easily hit hundreds of degrees celsius at the pads and rotor. However in order to transfer that heat through the caliper body into the fluid in large enough quantities and continuously enough to heat up enough fluid (a significant amount) to cause a boiling event even with water would require some monster hills and very irresponsible braking habits. ​​​I'm sure it'd be possible, but not with a dirt jumper in its natural habitat.

As to flushing it out? Empty the system as good as you can, put new oil in, presto. Good as new.

It's bicycles, not rocket science.
Old 06-03-20, 10:16 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Seth Bike Hacks Seth actually did an experiment in which he used baby oil for brake fluid. It worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VIuPiX3CA
Not even close to surprising. Johnson's Baby Oil is mineral oil.
Old 06-03-20, 10:22 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I'll actually revisit this immediately.

A cute finnish couple did a youtube video about bicycle disc brake vs lathe. The fluid only boiled well after the rotor had been red hot (so around 1000 degrees celsius?) for quite some time. I've only ever gotten my rotor brown and my wife who has worse braking habits than me has gotten her rotors blue.

There's also the brake force one H2O brake system which uses a water and glycol mixture as fluid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.