Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Model Peugeot Did I Find?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Model Peugeot Did I Find?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 03:51 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
1980s Peugeots are cool!

My first good road bike was a 1987 Peugeot Ventoux (PH-501). Got it at a shop in Hillcrest (San Diego). I was 13. Raced it for 2 seasons, until I crashed it in (I think) Decmber of 1989. My personal "grail bike" has always been the 1988 753 Chorus. The Lake Murray bike shop in La Mesa had one when I was shopping for my new bike, but I couldn't afford it, so I bought a Cadex 980C instead. But man, oh man did 15-16 year old me lust after that Peugeot!!!

To this day, it's the only one I've ever seen.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-07-20, 09:22 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
The French really had the make gaspipe frames ride like a Cadillac thing down Nice job on the rehab
For real
Old 10-13-20, 12:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

‘83 UO-14 is finished.
-replaced the centerpull mafacs w/sidepull Superbe
-replaced 27” Weinmann wheels with 700c Rigida
-Simplex RD replaced with Suntour Cyclone shifted with Suntour Accushift barends.
What used to be a trashed 80’s bike with obsolete 70’s era group is now updated to era. Weight has been slashed to 23.2 pounds in the process.

Old 10-28-20, 01:37 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Oops forgot. Here is the serial: 3770751. Thx!
Where to begin? Hmmm.

Peugeot frames manufactured in France for 1983 model year most often had a frame number stamped into the frame and a white label attached to the frame with the bicycle's serial number, the model number and the size of the frame in centimeters.

The stamped frame number usually began with a "B" or a "Y", followed by numbers.
The white label serial number was seven digits.
Sometimes the white label did not have a serial number, but instead other coded information about the bicycle.

The OP has quoted a seven digit number for the serial number. No letters at the start. That is fine.

The 1983 UO14 frame with Mangalite tubes was probably not manufactured in France. If so, none of the above description about frame numbers and serial numbers of Peugeot frames manufactured in France apply to OP's bicycle.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
While that's not the actual frame serial number, it still indicates the bicycle is from 1983.
If this is a reference to the French Peugeot white label bicycle serial number then it probably does not apply.
I have never seen a 1983 USA market UO14 model with a white label affixed to the frame. If someone can show one of these that would be wonderful because it would help to clarify much.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That actual frame serial number will start with a B or Y.
This only applies to the stamped frame number of Peugeot frames manufactured in France for a specific range of years which includes 1983.

There are a couple of references on this forum as to the Peugeot Managalite frames coming from the Canada. If so, this implies the Peugeot contracted manufacturer Groupe Procycle.

I do not know if this is true. It might be. I have never seen any non-Peugeot branded Groupe Procycle frames with a Mangalite label of any type.

The OPs serial number does fit the format for 1983 Groupe Procycle frame numbers, seven digits and no letters. The first digit in the frame number indicates the year of frame manufacture.

Last edited by Hummer; 10-28-20 at 01:42 PM. Reason: word change
Likes For Hummer:
Old 10-28-20, 04:13 PM
OldsCOOL

Interesting info, thank you!