Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery bike with Shimano 600 Arabesque group set

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 08:39 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts

During our deer hunt this year I recovered this bike from the back of another camp, the original owner doesn't remember the brand only that it "wasn't cheap and barely ridden". He thinks its all original, parts seem to be consistent to suggest he's right however the headset is a mystery to me as well, no branding.

Crankset - Shimano 600 52/40
BB - Shimano 600
FD - Shimano 600
RD - Shimano 600
Freewheel - Shimano
Front and Rear Hubs - Shimano 600
Headset - Unknown
Brakes - Shimano 600
Levers - Shimano 600
Seat Post - Sugino 27.2mm
Stem - Unknown
Handlebars - Winpista
Cable Guides - Shimano Dura-Ace (???)
Front Dropout - Tange
Rear Dropout - Unknown
Frame Serial Number is: Y0H 7777

I suspect the frame is likely toast judging from the rust, I picked up the bike just for the parts alone. That said I would love to know what it was if anything has any guesses, I would say just based on the components it's likely a 1981/82 for the year. It's been suggested it looks a lot like a Trek frame, the closest I could find was a 1981 Trek 716 but it doesn't match entirely.

This first photo looks skewed, wide angle lens on the iPhone has really done a number on it!
Old 11-14-22, 11:51 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

from what can be seen of the machine's headset in the initial picture it appears it may be a Tange MA60

(guess, using the limited res available)

-----
Old 11-14-22, 11:58 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

from what can be seen of the machine's headset in the initial picture it appears it may be a Tange MA60

(guess, using the limited res available)

-----
that’s good to know. I’ll see how bad it is after cleaning but I’m thinking it’s toast
Old 11-14-22, 12:12 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The serial number indicates that the frame was manufactured by Yamaguchi of Japan, during August 1980. That's in the gray region of the calendar year, where it could be either a 1980 or 1981 model. Given the Yamaguchi origin, era and the OP's location, my prime candidate would be a Norco. During this era, their 600EX model was the Magnum SE. Here's a photo showing one in NOS condition. Like the subject bicycle, it has no braze-ons save for the chain stay cable stop. It also has chromed dropout flats, a sloping crown fork, same lugs, etc. It appears to be a very good match, though the owner mistakenly identifies as a 1985 model manufactured by Nishiki. The only anomaly is the presence of the decal for Tange #2, as that tubeset would normally use a 26.6-26.8mm post. The OP's size is more indicative of Ishiwata 022, though that could a year to year variation.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-14-22, 12:15 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I think that it could be an early 80s Norco Magnum. I have an SE with the same groupset (slightly different crank) including the no-name headset, and the fork crown is similar.

Likes For markk900:
Old 11-14-22, 12:16 PM
Tango1

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number indicates that the frame was manufactured by Yamaguchi of Japan, during August 1980. That's in the gray region of the calendar year, where it could be either a 1980 or 1981 model. Given the Yamaguchi origin, era and the OP's location, my prime candidate would be a Norco. During this era, their 600EX model was the Magnum SE. Here's a photo showing one in NOS condition. Like the subject bicycle, it has no braze-ons save for the chain stay cable stop. It also has chromed dropout flats, a sloping crown fork, same lugs, etc. It appears to be a very good match, though the owner mistakenly identifies as a 1985 model manufactured by Nishiki. The only anomaly is the presence of the decal for Tange #2, as that tubeset would normally use a 26.6-26.8mm post. The OP's size is more indicative of Ishiwata 022, though that could a year to year variation.
it astounds me the knowledge you have, very cool and thank you!
Old 11-14-22, 12:17 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
T-Mar great minds think alike!
Likes For markk900:
Old 11-14-22, 01:17 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Nothing to add except another name to my own list of quality Japanese builders I hadn't heard of before...

Tango1 fingers crossed, looks like the fork is in good shape at least