Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I don't understand this Kryptonite Messenger Mini

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

This is a U-lock with an added U that slides onto the shackle. I just am not getting how this is an improvement. I see how they use it (1:30 in the video if you want to skip ahead), but I don't see how it adds either convenience or security. And, if you're going to crow about how you made a lighter lock then why would you turn around and add another shackle to it?

Messenger Mini+

I did notice in all their videos they are putting both wheel and frame inside the shackle, rather than capturing just the wheel but within the rear triangle. Their current solution to the front wheel is to sell you another lock, rather than have you put it in the lock. They do still sell the longer locks, though.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-24-16, 01:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Kryptonite used to sell a pretty long shackle lock. I've got one somewhere (with the old round key).

I kind of like that idea of the messenger. Two axes.

I might do it differently. Main shackle through the frame and wheel, and the "extender" around a post. I'm surprised, however, that that second extender isn't welded. And a single bolt on the lock?

Kryptonite does sell a chain to capture the front wheel. But, with everything... you'll have a 20 pound lock to lock up your 15 pound bike.

Most of my stops are short enough that capturing one wheel is sufficient. I used to always remove the front wheel and lock it through the U.
Old 09-25-16, 07:14 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
The mini U lock in theory is less susceptible to defeat by a tire jack Your U-Lock Is Basically Worthless, but Don't Worry - CityLab because there is not enough room for the thief to operate. So the hybrid design of this mini lock would offer more locking capacity while being less defeatable than a longer U. An angle grinder does not care about such things, and the locking mechanism in this mini does not appear to engage both ends of the U, so it appears a single but could defeat the bike. Better (and heavier) U locks require two angle grinder cuts.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This is a U-lock with an added U that slides onto the shackle. I just am not getting how this is an improvement. I see how they use it (1:30 in the video if you want to skip ahead), but I don't see how it adds either convenience or security. And, if you're going to crow about how you made a lighter lock then why would you turn around and add another shackle to it?

Messenger Mini+

I did notice in all their videos they are putting both wheel and frame inside the shackle, rather than capturing just the wheel but within the rear triangle. Their current solution to the front wheel is to sell you another lock, rather than have you put it in the lock. They do still sell the longer locks, though.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 09-25-16 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 10:17 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I have a pinhead security bolt on my front wheel. And the. I use the messenger mini to capture the frame and rear wheel.

I have a mixte frame so there is plenty of frame to keep my lock stuffed when needed.

It is not that unsafe where I park my bike on the street and I use bike lockers when it'll be longer in a less safe place. Works pretty well. Except for maybe at the suburban train stations (if you read my other thread).

I have been using this lock for a year.

I regularly see more expensive bikes than mine locked up a whole lot worse than I have locked. So I locked near them. Think fancy road bikes with quick release wheels or Rivendell's. My bike looks non-descript in comparison and I don't have a head badge or head tube logo.
Old 09-26-16, 10:06 AM
jeremybrooks

Bikes: Surly Cross-check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on your frame. On my CrossCheck, I would need a really wide lock to capture the rear wheel, the frame, and a post. I had trouble finding a lock that was wide enough to work without being very long. Most of the time I don't need to lock both wheels because of where I can park the bike, but when I know I will need to, I bring the mini along with my normal U-lock and it works great.
Old 09-26-16, 10:49 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
A shorter Abus U-lock that locks both ends of the shackle looks like a safer choice to me.

The addition for locking the wheel isn't needed - you could just lock the rear wheel through the rear triangle, with the same effect, but for some occasions it might be a bit more convenient.
Old 09-26-16, 11:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Slaninar
A shorter Abus U-lock that locks both ends of the shackle looks like a safer choice to me.
They don't claim it is... they rate it 7/10 and it's supposed to be lighter and easier to use. They have many smaller, stouter models, some with the double captured shackle. I get all that. The added piece is what flummoxes me.
Old 09-27-16, 02:22 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

They don't claim it is... they rate it 7/10 and it's supposed to be lighter and easier to use. They have many smaller, stouter models, some with the double captured shackle. I get all that. The added piece is what flummoxes me.
Just an extra option for locking the wheel. It allows for about extra 10 cm forward-backward bike movement when locking. You can lock it through the rear wheel, like a regular u-lock, or move the bike a bit backward, lock it to the frame and use the added part to hold the wheel. That leaves better position for locking the front wheel to a post, or a U bicycle parking spot sometimes. That's my reasoning at least.
Old 09-27-16, 09:08 AM
jade408

Just an extra option for locking the wheel. It allows for about extra 10 cm forward-backward bike movement when locking. You can lock it through the rear wheel, like a regular u-lock, or move the bike a bit backward, lock it to the frame and use the added part to hold the wheel. That leaves better position for locking the front wheel to a post, or a U bicycle parking spot sometimes. That's my reasoning at least.
It is way way easier to capture your back wheel with the extra piece on more racks. I used to have a regular mini lock and my city started getting thicker and more square racks in bike corrals. I could never get my rear wheel in those with my lock. Now it works on all the types of city locks we have.
Old 09-27-16, 11:00 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by jade408
It is way way easier to capture your back wheel with the extra piece on more racks. I used to have a regular mini lock and my city started getting thicker and more square racks in bike corrals. I could never get my rear wheel in those with my lock. Now it works on all the types of city locks we have.
Even the method of only putting it through the rear wheel, without locking the frame directly?

Old 09-27-16, 12:58 PM
jade408

Even the method of only putting it through the rear wheel, without locking the frame directly?

I hear about this technique. Still a bit skeptical.

We also have lots of bike corrals with this type of rack.

Old 09-27-16, 01:36 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by jade408
I hear about this technique. Still a bit skeptical.

We also have lots of bike corrals with this type of rack.

No need to be skeptical. It's as safe as locking the frame. I've never seen, nor heard of someone's rear wheel getting hacked to steel a bike locked this way. And there's no way to take the bike without cutting the lock, or cutting the rear wheel (and the tyre and the tube).
Old 09-27-16, 01:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Yeah, cutting up a rear wheel to get the rest of the bike sounds ambitious, thief couldn't ride off or ghost ride it... not to mention difficult, the spoke tension would clamp down on the cut. I sort of think it would hard to do with a saw and entertaining to watch with bolt cutters.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-27-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 02:05 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Yeah, cutting up a rear wheel to get the rest of the bike sounds ambitious, thief couldn't ride off or ghost ride it... not to mention difficult, the spoke tension would clamp down on the cut. I sort of think it would hard to do with a saw and entertaining to watch with bolt cutters.
Spokes are easily cut. But cutting the wheel and lots of spokes would still take time and effort. And you'd have to carry the bike away, unless you steal and install another wheel.
Old 09-28-16, 03:02 PM
azgreg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Messenger Mini+

That just looks like a glorified method of this which is the method I use.