Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dumb commuters, or "Why I hate the friggin bike path"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

And believe me- if there was any other way into DC by bike, I'd take it. Unfortunately, the only way into and out of DC by bike is on that friggin path.

This morning, some hairy neanderthal on a ghetto, two bit, K Mart blue light special nearly mowed me down from behind. I was climbing up a small incline. It's a blind spot (one of many on that friggin path), and it's at a fork in the road where the other part of the fork is where cyclists are coming down, and usually as fast as they can. So I'd just gotten over that part when the idiot sails past me. About 10 yards in front of us, there was a jogger running down the middle of the path. The idiot sails past me and the jogger. But there was another jogger coming in the other direction. As the cyclist passes the jogger (about 3 yards in front of me, by this point), the fool suddenly stops- a dead stop as the runner in the other direction passes. So I was basically boxed in, cycling around 15 miles per hour and having only a couple of yards to figure this out. The idiot had absolutely no idea how to pass... and I nearly hit both the cyclist and the runner. Instead, I began screaming and cursing- but the guy just stood there on his bike. I jammed my brakes and nearly skidded into the dumb ape, cursing as I did so. He waited for the other jogger on the other side, then took off.

Now, if the other jogger was obstructing him, I could totally see why he'd do something as lamebrained as that- but the jogger was on the OTHER side of the path- well on the other side. He had the room to go between the two, but instead, panicked and stopped (from what I gathered) and nearly caused me to smack into him and cause my bike and myself some serious damage. I did get to jump in front of him later on because there was no friggin way I was going to ride behind some idiot that doesn't know how to pass.

If that dumb fool is on the forum, this is for you:

If you don't know how to pass, why are you going to play idiot and do it? I'm riding my expensive custom Bike Friday. Do you really think it was smart to pass someone when you don't know how to pass? Do you realize that I would have kicked your ass all the way to DC and then gotten your personal information and held you responsible if I'd ended up crashing into you? You know all that cursing I did? It probably made you feel pretty scared- so I hope I scared you straight. If you can't figure out how to properly ride a bike, take some lessons, stay right, and stop putting yourself in situations you can't handle! And don't put others at risk just because you want to look like a fast, strong cyclist. You just aren't when you're piddling around on your kmart special.

Ok, I'm feeling better. But goshdarnit! I hate that friggin bike path! If there was any other way to get into DC by bike, I'd take it. I'd even be willing to ride the shoulder of the 395. Sometimes, the highway is safer than the bike path, which is a shame.

Koffee

Old 07-11-06, 07:48 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feel better?

And if the dude's on BF, he'll never admit it now.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-11-06, 08:07 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its a Wal*MArt bike dammit, a Sledgehammer !! Not no Blu-Lite Special
whatever the F that is !!
.......... and I yelled on yer right !!!
Waddya want ??!!??
Old 07-11-06, 08:12 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Now imagine someone like that "driving" a car.
Old 07-11-06, 09:33 PM
WiseOwl

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
some hairy neanderthal on a ghetto, two bit, K Mart blue light special
Sorry, ma'am. We tried to capture this menace to society, but your description wasn't specific enough.

James
Old 07-11-06, 09:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
Now imagine someone like that "driving" a car.
Someone who? Kmart Boy or Koffee? I don't think either come off too well in the rant.
Old 07-11-06, 10:09 PM
eaglevii
FG 48x17

Bikes: Lemond Road, IRO Rob Roy, Rush Hour Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Someone who? Kmart Boy or Koffee? I don't think either come off too well in the rant.
Today's useless ILTB post has been brought you by egotism and self-righteousness.
Old 07-11-06, 10:19 PM

That's why I don't drive, I-Like!

I feel better now. It's like throwing up after binge drinking at the frat house all night. Bleah. That guy was 100% idiot.

I suppose next time, I could just hit him anyway, but the thought of my mangled, beloved bike laying on the ground with me next to it is not worth it!

Koffee

Old 07-11-06, 10:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by eaglevii
Today's useless ILTB post has been brought you by egotism and self-righteousness.
Ohh, Ohh an SS boy chimes in with an out in left field ad hominem comment without discussing the issue. The discussion list for such diatribes from your tribe is south of this one.
Old 07-11-06, 10:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by koffee brown
That's why I don't drive, I-Like!
Probably a good thing too, because you wouldn't get far if you tried to justify road rage actions or why you rear ended someone else with assumptions/excuses of superiority over those who drive vehicles not up to your lofty standards.
Old 07-12-06, 12:12 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So if Koffee was in a car, was overtaken by another car, and that car stopped dead in front of her, round a blind bend, so she was unable to stop, and rear ended it, that would be her fault? She wouldn't come off well from that? I'm not sure what your point is ILTB. Coming here and having a rant which includes insulting the other persons bike doesn't detract from the fact that the other rider was in the wrong, and is a much better way than either saying it to his face, or stewing on it. What's the problem, exactly?
Old 07-12-06, 12:19 AM
M.E.Riding
Spoke breaking Clydesdale

Bikes: Trek 7100, Tirreno Razza 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meow!
Old 07-12-06, 01:06 AM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reads like one of those riders who has to go into competition mode when ever they see another bike. As a commuter I have to pace myself so I'll get to my destination and be not completely exhausted when I get there. Competition Boy has only one function, and that is to pass you. Once their mission has been accomplished Competition Boy frequently shuts down due to loss of energy and becomes Obsticle Boy.

Note to self. In the future when Competition Boy passes me I will slow down to put further distance between us and then re-pass only when it's incredibly safe to do so, since Competition Boy is a complete menace to himself and those around him. The preferred punishment for the Competition Boy is for him to remain Competition Boy. Me, I would be perfectly content to draft an aerobics instructor for as long as my commute allowed, but then I'm Shameless Pig Boy. The preferred punishment for Shameless Pig Boy is... err, best to skip this one as he'd probably get off on it some how.

Glad to read you got your wheel back Koffee. Or at least got another one.
Old 07-12-06, 03:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
I'm not sure what your point is ILTB. Coming here and having a rant which includes insulting the other persons bike doesn't detract from the fact that the other rider was in the wrong, and is a much better way than either saying it to his face, or stewing on it. What's the problem, exactly?
The point is the attitude that riding a better/different/superior vehicle than someone else somehow is proof of (or implies) being on the side of the angels in any interaction/incident. IMO, making irrelevant slams on the other's character based on his choice of vehicle, (or if he was not wearing a helmet as is done in so many other slams on other bicyclists) indicates there may be another side to the incident that we are never going to get.
Old 07-12-06, 04:37 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
/searching for a user named KMart Bike...

Yeah, summer is here and the time is right for idiots on the bike path. I tend to be EXTRA cautious this time of year since everyone rolls out their beater and wobbles down the path like an unpredictable child.
Old 07-12-06, 04:41 AM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
At one time I rode bike paths. Too many close calls, distractions, and obstacles. It is difficult to go 15mpg on a bike path. Bike paths have alot of foot traffic and tend to attract slower riders.

Stay on the roads now...
Old 07-12-06, 04:53 AM
robmcl
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
making irrelevant slams on the other's character based on his choice of vehicle
And don’t you usually call out anyone (and usually in not so nice terms) who rides anything different than a three speed or wears biking shorts as an ignorant, arrogant biking enthusiast who is somehow ruing cycling for the rest of us? Heaven forbid if you catch anyone recommending a FG/SS bike or a road bike for commuting or buying a bike from an LBS. ILTB you also are plenty guilty of using stereotypes and personal attacks to support your arguments. Also, as is usually the case when ILTB starts posting, this thread is now in danger of very quickly being hijacked from the original topic and turning into a mud slinging contest over the irrelevant.

Last edited by robmcl; 07-12-06 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by unkchunk
Reads like one of those riders who has to go into competition mode when ever they see another bike. As a commuter I have to pace myself so I'll get to my destination and be not completely exhausted when I get there. Competition Boy has only one function, and that is to pass you. Once their mission has been accomplished Competition Boy frequently shuts down due to loss of energy and becomes Obsticle Boy.

Note to self. In the future when Competition Boy passes me I will slow down to put further distance between us and then re-pass only when it's incredibly safe to do so, since Competition Boy is a complete menace to himself and those around him. The preferred punishment for the Competition Boy is for him to remain Competition Boy. Me, I would be perfectly content to draft an aerobics instructor for as long as my commute allowed, but then I'm Shameless Pig Boy. The preferred punishment for Shameless Pig Boy is... err, best to skip this one as he'd probably get off on it some how.

Glad to read you got your wheel back Koffee. Or at least got another one.
I didn't get my wheel back. I just ride my folding bike from now on. But thanks!

Koffee

Old 07-12-06, 06:50 AM

The point is the attitude that riding a better/different/superior vehicle than someone else somehow is proof of (or implies) being on the side of the angels in any interaction/incident. IMO, making irrelevant slams on the other's character based on his choice of vehicle, (or if he was not wearing a helmet as is done in so many other slams on other bicyclists) indicates there may be another side to the incident that we are never going to get.
Nope. If he'd been riding a pinarello, I would have described him as an egotistical, OCP-riding, Lance wannabe, self absorbed, hairy assed ape that has nothing in particular to prove.

I could care less about what bike he was riding- I just care that I don't get hurt in the process of him trying to prove how cool that idiot is by putting me in a dangerous position.

Koffee

Old 07-12-06, 07:19 AM
same time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a similar problem coming off the 14 st bridge last night. A guy on a triathlon bike was sprinting up onto the bridge, coming at me, and for some reason he darted over into my lane. I was on my cyclocross bike, and I thought about taking my chances with the grass hill on the side, but when I yelled "hey" the guy swerved back. Whole thing lasted about 2 seconds and it was really, really close. We were each going about 15mph, and I can imagine the sound it would make if we had hit head on.

It makes me miss the wintertime, when there's only about 10 or 15 riders out there commuting, and they know how to ride. This time of year, the paths are clogged with folks who ride like maniacs.
Old 07-12-06, 07:22 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Looking on the bright side. We got a new thread out it. So bike paths do have a silver lining.
I am also really pleased that he did not get your dander up. You control yourself well.
Old 07-12-06, 07:31 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was me, and if you'd learn to ride faster, I wouldn't have had to pass you!

Just kidding, Koffee.

Actually I often wonder why people pass when they've got no forward visibility or when there's going to be some congestion ahead. They'd never drive that way in a car. What makes it any different on a bike? Sometimes you gotta slow down for traffic. Oh well.

Is this the W&OD trail? I lived near there (Quincy Street in Arlington) 10 years ago, and it was bad for cyclists then too.
Old 07-12-06, 07:33 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
It makes me miss the wintertime, when there's only about 10 or 15 riders out there commuting, and they know how to ride. This time of year, the paths are clogged with folks who ride like maniacs.
Amen to that--I am looking forward to the winter commute again. However, I do like to see folks out who obviously are putting out considerable effort to ride a bike. Most of them are fine and not a nuisance. The pm commute can be a bit tedious, though.
Old 07-12-06, 07:34 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's funny how listing the description of the bike and rider is assumed by some super sensitive, easily distracted people, to mean that the story teller is labelling a group or making broad generalizations when in fact, the description helps us visualize the story better. What I got out of the story was a fast moving cyclist passing Koffee and a jogger, then stopping short when there was no forseeable need to, causing a dangerous traffic condition. I did not make any generalization about the rider or his choice of bike or assume that Koffee was targeting and attacking any specific group of people other than "Dumb Commuters" of which anyone could be a member of.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-12-06, 07:36 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The last time I was in DC I ended up getting lost and was heading to Mt. Vernon on the George Washington Parkway. Coffee, I saw a nice trail along side the road. Is that the trail you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.