Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dumb Shimano compatability question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 09:53 AM
MajorA
Prodigal road guy

Bikes: '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 1987 road bike has the dreaded BioPace chain rings; not knowing any better because I've been on a mountain bike for the last 15 years, they seem fine to me. But I'd like to try convention chain rings, so that I can A/B them with the BioPace.

Here's the question: what brands and models of chain ring can I use with my Shimano 105 cranks? Between the progression from 6-speed freewheels (which is what mine has, with indexed 105 shifters front and back) to 7- and 8-, and now 9- and 10-speed; Shimano's change from Uniglide to Hyperglide; different chain widths; and the possible incompatabilities between 105, 600/Ultegra, and Dura Ace ..... I'm really, really, confused.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-06, 11:05 AM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... you're asking a lot.

and you're due for quite a response.

maybe you could find something on sheldonbrown.com.

wow. i understand why you're confused, tho. just make like me: don't bother with it and just do it.

wtf?
Old 10-10-06, 11:27 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hey, MY 1987 road bike has BioPace rings, too! (Post soon, pending retrieval of photos!) I also have that same 105 group.

I've only done a few miles on this bike so far, but I'm pretty happy with the rings. They feel fine to me. Why bother swapping them out? But if you must, here's the deal: don't worry about it. Just match up the BCD, and you're good to go. For 105, it should be 130mm, but it might be 110. I don't know what BCD sizes BioPace came in. So make sure you know what it is. Other than that, don't worry about it. You can use whatever brand of chainring you want. The only possible issue is that 10-speed chain may wedge itself in-between the two rings, but I don't think that this is terribly likely. I'm using old cranks and chainrings from the 6-speed era with 8-speed equipment, with not even a hint of trouble. Obviously, not the same as 9 or 10-speed on the same rings, but from what I hear, problems are pretty few and far between.
Old 10-10-06, 11:27 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
The primary concern is bolt circle diameter, which is probably either modern Shimano road standard (130mm) or old school mountain (110mm). Both are very easy to find.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-10-06, 12:36 PM
clayface
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that in '87 Shimano still had the Uniglide freehub bodies around. Finding a replacement cassette for the old system is very, very difficult so IMO prior to a chainring overhaul, I'd go for a 7sp freehub replacement since 7sp casettes are easy to get. Or if you want to keep the original 6sp shifters, by using a spacer, you can use only 6 cogs from the newer cassettes. Of course, this will convey a redishing of the wheel and a respacing of the axle.
Old 10-10-06, 02:04 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Your question is confusuing and you need to break down into a serious of numbered questions for which a definate answer will be. As most have said just swaping out the rings with any other kind as long as the BCD is the same will be fine. Of course you do not want to buy new expensive shimano 10-speed rings, there is no point. By some other aftermarket brand. 10 speed and even 9 speed rings are thinner and will wear quicker. If you are running a 9-10 speed set up you will want 9/10 specific rings. You may also be able to get more help with a question like this in the mechanics forum.