Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mounting bracket for Keirin Brake Dia Compe Brs 101

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 07:44 PM
colerc51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone seen how the dia compe keirin brake (front) attaches to the fork, I am concerned the mounting bracket will look cheesy,and will it scratch the fork?
Old 07-24-08, 07:51 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colerc51
Has anyone seen how the dia compe keirin brake (front) attaches to the fork, I am concerned the mounting bracket will look cheesy,and will it scratch the fork?
Looks-wise, that's personal. They look a bit bulky, but I don't think they look cheesy.

Scratch-wise, it's metal on metal, so yeah, unless the edges of the bracket are as smooth and round as can be, or you stick a leather or rubber washer or something in between, assuming there is room for one, it looks bound to scratch.
Old 07-24-08, 07:52 PM
shants
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the brakes definitely look a bit kludgy. you can avoid damage to your fork by wrapping a piece of old bike tube between the fork and mount.
Old 07-24-08, 07:53 PM
deathhare
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-24-08, 09:03 PM
stevefaletto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aha! i always wondered about those kits. slick.
Old 07-25-08, 07:56 AM
bexley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They don't look too cludgy for what they are, though beefier clamps/bracket may inspire more confidence. I'm imagining the stresses on that thing during an emergency brake and I'd be surprised if the bracket/clamp assembly doesn't warp/bend/move a little. The question is, is it noticeable?

I'm stupidly running without one since it hides the fork crown, hottest part of my bike.

Last edited by bexley; 07-25-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-25-08, 10:20 AM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's a different kit btw (in the pic above)

I have two---an old NOS one and the new version. the new version works wonderfully. has a slight cludgeousness to it, but I don't mind its looks and that is far out weighed by the benefits of having an effective front brake on a frame I wouldn't dare drill.

Last edited by nateintokyo; 07-25-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-25-08, 09:02 PM
basho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateintokyo
that's a different kit btw (in the pic above)

I have two---an old NOS one and the new version. the new version works wonderfully. has a slight cludgeousness to it, but I don't mind its looks and that is far out weighed by the benefits of having an effective front brake on a frame I wouldn't dare drill.

So is the old version not as good? How do you tell the difference? And where can I get a new one? I've seen full kits with calipers and lever. I really just need the bracket.
Old 07-26-08, 08:28 AM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the old version's mounting bracket is a bit harder to use/more complicated than the new one, but I think the arch part looks better. the bad part about it is that the brake is an old style single pivot with crappy pads. i am using the old bracket/arch with a modern 105 caliper on one of my bikes and it is great. finding an old version would require major luck or major work though.

the brackets aren't usually sold stand-alone, unfortunately. there are kits without the lever though.

the new version is great! the bracket and the caliper are both very high quality.