Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

help me buy a new bike pump

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 04:06 AM
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My floor pump is cheap and it sucks. Half the time it does not work and I get frustrated, Do I have to spend a lot of money or is there a brand or something I need to look for when I make the purchase?

Thanks
ARed

Last edited by AlphaRed; 05-22-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 05:59 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
What sort of expectation do you have?

A small pump will not perform well. A good performer will not be small. No on-bike pump will work as well as a full size home pump.

Having said that, to me the best blend of features and convenience is the Topeak Road Morph G Bike Pump. You can stand-pump like a home pump, it has a built-in gauge (a huge plus for me), and it is big enough yet light enough.

Again, it will not be as easy to use as a home pump, but it will be easier to carry. You need to figure out where your ease-of-use/small-n-light threshold is.
Old 05-22-11, 06:07 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
For inflating tires, a pump that blows would be preferable to one that sucks. Are you looking for a floor pump or mini pump? IMO, you should have both, as minis are minimalistic and OK for fixing flats out on the road, but a floor pump is much easier and convenient for routine tire inflation and service.

Probably the biggest differentiator of floor pumps is the chuck. The "automatic switching" type (side-by-side presta and schrader) are the most troublesome in my experience. The double ended chucks like on most Topeak pumps have worked well for me.
Old 05-22-11, 01:55 PM
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right. I need to clarify. I need a floore pump.

Thank you
ARed
Old 05-22-11, 02:15 PM
abdon 

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Look for a pump with a metal body instead of plastic. I like Topeak Joe Blow Sport II. Take it apart to grease it once a year and it should last you a long time.
Old 05-22-11, 02:19 PM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by abdon
Look for a pump with a metal body instead of plastic. I like Topeak Joe Blow Sport II. Take it apart to grease it once a year and it should last you a long time.
Agreed.
Old 05-22-11, 03:56 PM
AlphaRed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the lead. I will go to my LBS and see what they have

ARed
Old 05-22-11, 06:21 PM
ciao_bella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really happy with my Topeak JoeBlow pro floor pump. It has something called "smarthead" technology that works on both Presta and Schrader valves without changing any parts. Since my bike tires have Presta valves and my husband's bike tires have schrader valves, this is a nice feature to have.
Old 05-22-11, 07:34 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I love my Planet Bike Comp floor pump. I've been using it for years. The dual head does both schrader and presta valves. It has a very accurate built-in pressure gauge. Only $30.00 on Amazon, and it's rebuildable. One of those great bike purchases that I haven't regretted for a second.
Old 05-22-11, 08:27 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaRed
thank you for the lead. I will go to my LBS and see what they have

ARed
Performance had some on sale the other day,They have a store on Colo Blvd In U hills (2800 S.I have one that s 4or 5years old andstill works good,and was reasonablypriced
Old 05-22-11, 10:55 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Silica floor pump, I have had one for 27 years only replaced the chuck last year.
Old 05-23-11, 02:12 AM
rocketJeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Joe Blow Sport II and couldn't be happier. The pump feels very well made and it easily pumped to 120 psi. The pressure gauge is located at the bottom of the barrel which is a little inconvenient, but there's a rotatable red marker, so you can see when you've reached a certain pressure pretty easily. The pump is $28+ship (free if >$125 order) at Treefortbikes.

They also have the Joe Blow Pro for $50. I am a curious as to how much better the Pro model is than the Sport, but I have a hard time imagining it.