Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Two Broken Ribs and My Car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 06:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

I recently broke two ribs when a leg broke off a stool I was standing on and my ribs were the first thing to contact the corner of a concrete chain-wall. I currently am a car owner for 2 years after 30 years without my own car (rented plenty of them).

This was actually the first time in decades I was so injured I couldn't ride a bike, commute or otherwise. Also, doctor told me NO FALLING for 6-8 weeks at least. So I'm married to walking and my indoor trainer for now.

The reason I am posting this in Car Free is mainly because the day finally came when I physically could not ride a bike. I always knew that if I lived long enough that day would come. Thankfully I am very likely to recover fully, eventually. Owning a car is definitely a love-hate relationship for me but darned happy I have one at this moment.

Godspeed everybody! Cheers.

P.S.: Never EVER break a rib! Trust me. It effing HURTS. Sneezing is like taking a hit with a baseball bat. Coughing and hiccups not much better. Sleeping lying down - fahgettaboutit! It truly sucks for a full week or two at least. Advil is your best friend.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-07-23, 07:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I had a chest X-ray once looking for pneumonia, doctor asks me when I broke a rib, just off center. “Never” I said. He then informs I sure had and presses down on it, the cartilage was all screwed up, still hurts years later on occasion. Then I recall the mt. bike fall when I caught the bar end right there, as well as the fall on the NY City Century when an imbecile rider cut me off. Not sure which one it was, I kept riding though, but I’ve broken many a rib and yes they hurt like hell.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-07-23 at 08:59 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-07-23, 08:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Yup, I've done the ribs. First time was torture. Ambulance crew was in hard board for potential back injury mode. (I'd already moved around and test everything and knew it was fine.) Since I had a broken collarbone and screamed when they picked me up by the shoulders, they eased off that strap and extra tightened the one over my broken ribs and collapsed lung. They then drove me over a half dozen construction trenches to a hospital without a trauma unit. (Instead of the best trauma unit around half the distance away and all smooth roads.) All this without giving me the oxygen I asked for 4 times. The resident who greeted me at that wrong hospital had me on oxygen within 2 minutes. I stayed on it the next 5 days. He then put me on a comfortable gurney and had that same ambulance crew get it right and take me to the trauma unit.

Yes, sleeping! My first two nights I rang the bell for help to roll over. That nurse was big, strong and rather intimidating. It hurt a lot. But so did everything else. Third night I was in the ward, not intensive. Rang again. Much smaller nurse of average strength. Solid 10 for pain through lots of opiates! Never rang again. (Mentioned the first nurse to the doc when I was back for follow-up. "Yeah, she's really good." And I figured out sleeping. My bed worked for my good side. I had a recliner in my hospital room. My roommate had a different chair (and was bed bound). I used both after my first session of sleep on the bed the rest of my stay. Got home and used my sofa and recliner in addition to the bed, leaving the needed bedding and pillows at each station. Next time around I went to REI and bought a camp chair and modified it with headrest. That worked so well I used it again my last time around, in my living room.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-07-23, 08:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yup, I've done the ribs.
Dude, that was WAY worse than my experience. I had ONE terrible week and fortunately I have a very high tolerance for pain. I maxed out that tolerance for three days, opiates had no effect. Advil bomb helped a lot. What really helped was muscle relaxers. Because my ribs would trigger a giant muscle spasm at the site which would cause my broken ribs to either pull apart or rub together - not sure which exactly - the muscle relaxers 100% broke that cycle in only 2 days. After 3 weeks I am still on the sofa (on my back only) to sleep. Sofa has a solid backrest that works like a hospital bed rail so I can use my good arm to lower myself or pull myself up.

I could go on but you know what's up.

Thanks for making me feel fortunate!
Old 11-01-23, 05:50 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke 4 while early season skiing 35 years ago. I fell on my right side, which separated my shoulder, but the ribs on the left broke outward. 3 weeks of pain. I remember the first week vividly. Take care, and heal well.
Old 11-02-23, 12:35 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for sharing and strength to you.

Not being allowed or able to ride a bike over an extended period of time is no fun (I would cry), but I hope you can two-wheel on paths again soon.
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 11-05-23, 01:28 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Thanks for sharing and strength to you.

Not being allowed or able to ride a bike over an extended period of time is no fun (I would cry), but I hope you can two-wheel on paths again soon.
Back on the bike yesterday. 18 miles. Same today. 8 weeks off. Lost some strength and conditioning, but not too bad. I feel 100% otherwise. Thanks
Old 11-27-23, 09:43 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 57 Posts
I had four broken ribs after a car rear ended me last July a few miles from home, I don't and never have owned a car but have had a motorcycle or two all my adult life and once I managed to get my leg over the seat of my Honda 125 I was mobile again, I was back on a bicycle after a month but have not returned to the percentage of bicycle journeys I had before when 80-90% of individual journeys were self powered but that is now down to around 50%, hopefully I will get back to that eventually.
Likes For Small cog:
Old 11-27-23, 04:08 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Had 2 broken ribs after crashing on my mountain bike. Worst pain and discomfort ever. Total agony.
Old 02-03-24, 11:51 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I've broken ribs a few times riding my MTB and once on a dual sport motorcycle trying to ride on greasy smectite mud. Yeah it hurt when it happened and for a few weeks after, but fully recovered. For the OP, maybe next time use a step-stool or proper ladder - might not have happened.
Old 02-06-24, 04:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Small cog
I had four broken ribs after a car rear ended me last July a few miles from home, I don't and never have owned a car...
That sucks! I always feel most vulnerable to overtaking vehicles. A great excuse to run red lights so I'm not a sitting duck.
Old 02-06-24, 04:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Had 2 broken ribs after crashing on my mountain bike. Worst pain and discomfort ever. Total agony.
Worst pain and discomfort I've experienced so far after trying for 65 years.
Old 02-06-24, 04:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by axelwik
For the OP, maybe next time use a step-stool or proper ladder - might not have happened.
You've been talking to my wife haven't you!!!
Likes For JoeyBike: