Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please help!!! Question for experienced clipless users

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 11:20 AM
up4speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a Trek FX 7.5. I didn't pick it up yet, I have until Thurs. next week. I never used clipless pedals in the past, but have been using toe clips for about 15 years on different bikes. I wanted to put clipless on the new bike. The LBS owner recommended the 2 sided clipless, because it was easier to clip in, and not worry which side the pedal was on. Since I don't have experience, and the type of bike that it is, I was thinking that maybe I should get the two sided platform/clipless pedals. I am not racing with the bike, and just doing fitness riding, or even riding with the kids. I figured with the 2 sided, I can jump on the bike with any shoe, cross intersections with out worrying about clipping in, handle unsteady terrain without feeling like I was "locked in", and have a little wiggle room on the pedal for comfort. I won't have to always feel like a cranckshaft on an engine "all" the time, locked to one (proper) foot position. Are there any pros or cons that I missed? Don't forget, I have zero experience, so I don't know what I'm talking about. What are the more experienced riders on this board using for this type of bike / riding? Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old 04-10-11, 11:46 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Chris, I think you have stated the pros and cons quite well. A two sided clipless pedal is easier to use, because you're never on the wrong side of the pedal, while the dual purpose pedal allows you to ride in a variety of footwear and the option of pedaling clipped in or free while riding in your bike shoes.

I'm also considering changing pedals and am having a little trouble deciding which pedals should go on which bike. I have a pair of used dual purpose and a pair of new clipless on hand, patiently awaiting my decision.
Old 04-10-11, 11:59 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I prefer the platform / clipless over double sided pedals for a bunch of reasons... I wear touring shoes which are clipped and very walkable and mtb shoes are much like this albeit a little stiffer.

I usually switch between my touring shoes and mtb shoes as this keeps my shoes fresh and extends their life as they get a chance to air out and also have road shoes that see use about once a week and are dialled in for my spd road pedals.

It is very nice to be able to un-clip and use the flat pedal when being clipped in is not ideal or you want to give your foot a change in position and sometimes you might just want to ride in sandals or regular shoes so the 50/50 pedals offer this option.

In getting started make sure that your pedals are set properly with a lighter release and get clips that allow for inboard and outboard release as some only allow release to the outboard side. Clips can jam occasionally as small debris can cause issues and being able to release to the opposite side can be a good thing.

As you get more comfortable with the pedals you can bring up the tension on the pedal... you do not want them releasing when you are making hard efforts and be prepared to have at least one awkward fall... these will usually happen when you are coming to a stop and forget you are clipped in.
Old 04-12-11, 09:14 PM
Misochew

Bikes: Colnago C59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just posted this on another thread. They are Shimano 530 dual platforms mounted on my 2011 7.5 FX. It's well worth the investment.

And don't worry about the clipless issues. Just practice a little and be vigilant about un-clipping before you come to a complete stop at the red lights. I've put 3000 miles on these w/o falling (and yes, I'm knocking on wood right now).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek-FX-7-5-pedal.jpg (57.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-12-11, 09:34 PM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hows it going,
I just got a Trek 7.5 FX 2 weeks ago. This is my first experience with clipless pedals and i went with the Shimano M324 SPD pedals. Ive put in over 300 mile so far and am very happy i went with these. They are very easy to get in and out of and i picked it up very quickly. They also have a 'normal' side so i can wear regular shoes when i need to or not clip in when needed. The SPD shoes have the cleat recessed into the shoe so i when im off the bike their pretty comfortable. Ive done 15 mile rides and as much as 50 so far. As someone who just went from normal pedals to clipless i am very happy i did and am not sure how i went without them before.

One more thing to consider with the 2011 7.5 FX is the handlebars, i have a post in my blog that explains a bit more. https://bartsbiking.com/ But i am extremely happy with this bike.

Last edited by jimbojonez; 04-12-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 09:40 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have platform/SPD pedals on my hybrid. I use the SPDs when I commute to work and the platforms when I hop on the bike for a quick trip to the store.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-12-11, 10:34 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first clipless pedals were the platform/SPD pedals. I liked the idea of them, but found that I never actually used the platform part. The pedals were overall kind of heavy, so I switched to ones similar to these: https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html Also onesided, with sort of a platform. I really like them, but I always seem to be searching for the right side to clip in. I guess the part where you clip in is heavier and ends up at the bottom. I think for my next ones I will go double sided for that reason.

Sorry if you already know all this, but give yourself time to get used to the pedals, ride slowly in the empty parking lot or on grass. And if you normally don't wear a helmet, wear it, you may forget you're clipped in and fall.
When you're buying your cleats, get multi release, not the single release ones. They're easier on the knees and easier to get out of. And set your tension low, at least at first.
Good luck, I love my clipless pedals, couldn't do without them.
Old 04-12-11, 11:21 PM
Idiom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine SPD are the go-to entry level clipless? Double sided pedals all look small, hard target to hit? SPD-SLs all look like it may be an easier connection to make without looking, but I don't have any experience to speak from.
Old 04-13-11, 02:58 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use biking shoes with my Fuji 100% of the time so I went with two sided SPD pedals. I never have to flip them and if I want to pedal without being clipped in I find that I can do that quite well. I can even ride them with street shoes for modest distances although I have another bike that is street shoe friendly and I never need to do that. If you get/have two sided Shimano pedals and wish that you had gotten a platform on one side instead these clip in platforms fit some Shimano pedals.

Ken
Old 04-13-11, 03:51 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take a look at both the Shimano M324's and the A530's.
I use the A530's for about a year now and am very happy with them.
Once you get a bit of experience, the clicking in and out becomes a second nature and lately I do not have to think about getting on the right side of the pedal anymore as it appears to be going magically every time
When I ride alone and go hard I use the clicks.
When I ride with the wife and kid I wear casual shoes and use the platforms.
A true hybrid bike deserves hybrid pedals