Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Isospeed working? Not working?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 08:15 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Hello everyone!

I took delivery of a used 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6 and am curious if there is something wrong with the front Isospeed. I can't feel any more forgiveness in the front than other bikes I've owned. When I stand over the bike and apply the front brake and push forward and / or down on the handlebars I can't detect any movement at all from the isospeed area or the rubber "boot" that surrounds it. It does not seem to tilt down or forward and what tiny flex I see appears to be coming from the stem. Googling and searching the forums only return marketing material and reviews from magazines saying how great the system is.

Is there a way to adjust it? Could mine be too tight?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Cliff
Old 10-27-20, 08:40 PM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
https://crankboutique.com/what-is-tr...ed-technology/
Old 10-27-20, 08:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's nearly useless. It relies on the flex of the steerer tube.
Old 10-27-20, 10:24 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Trek’s ISOspeed is very minimal. I’ve taken them apart, cleaned and put them back together. We’re talking some washers and rubber grommets. I wouldn’t say useless but it also isn’t a shock you’d find on a mountain bike which most people expect it to be. When it comes to road bikes, a mm of give will make a huge difference. We saw this sort of style when Specialized came out with those integrated rubber bits in the fork and seat stays. Leaning on it won’t make a difference but riding on bumps will.