Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is a broken or fallen chain so dangerous?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is a broken or fallen chain so dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 01:15 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The wheel locking up is going to be an issue (which is not due to the chain, though, at least on a modern bike), or while out of the saddle and developing a lot of power where a sudden loss of resistance will likely make you lose balance.

Otherwise, the chain falling off is not a big deal, even at speed (with or without being clipped in).
Old 12-31-20, 06:56 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
The wheel locking up is going to be an issue (which is not due to the chain, though, at least on a modern bike), or while out of the saddle and developing a lot of power where a sudden loss of resistance will likely make you lose balance.

Otherwise, the chain falling off is not a big deal, even at speed (with or without being clipped in).
ugh..I'd respectfully disagree. I did have one chain just drop off at speed and it was completely uneventful. I wasn't pedaling hard at the time, I lost resistance, stopped, and looked back to see the chain laying on the ground. On the other hand, my GF was just starting a ride and her chain parted(quick link failed..though rode fine the day/weeks before). The tail of the chain on the down side flipped up behind the bike, wrapped on the cassette, locked the wheel, and turned the rear DR into a ball of junk..all in about a second or less. Fortunately she just started riding and only went about 15 feet...no crash involved.

I/we use different quicklinks now, and change them more often. After her incident, I changed them out on all our bikes and now keep a log of when they were changed and how many times I've broken them for drive train cleaning or maintenance.
Old 12-31-20, 07:36 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Downtube shifters
Did the lever wiggle loose or your foot/lace somehow caught the front der cage?

I'm interested in knowing the probable cause, being that your chain was completely linked together.
Old 12-31-20, 08:14 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Freewheel is more prone to failure as the internal components aren't sealed.
My crash was with a failed cassette. A fairly new one at that. Just a cheap wheel, I replaced the whole wheel once I figured out the issue.

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I really can't imagine how you could be propelled over the bar in a climb unless you're far too forward in your position while pedaling out of the saddle.
His front wheel taco'd. Tells me the wheel might have turned taking him down. Believe me it is hard to steer when your chest is on the bars and knee on the pavement.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-31-20, 09:10 AM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
I had a chain break while out of the saddle going up hill. No wheel lock up but I did go over the bars...not fun.
Old 12-31-20, 09:30 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The way I look at it, when you're pedaling hard out of saddle, the pedals are supporting most of your weight. If the chain breaks, that support suddenly vanishes. It would be like climbing and having a foothold break loose. The sudden loss of balance causes the crash. How the crash actually unfolds depends on the precise details of how and when it broke.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-31-20, 09:32 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
In a recent post, a gentleman described a bad accident that happened after his chain derailed. Apparently he was pedaling hard uphill when the chain came off the ring and he was hurled over the bars. Did this happen because all the force that he was applying to the drive train suddenly stop and it had to go somewhere else - in this case into forward motion to propel him over the bars?
You fall when you're out of the saddle, leaning forwards, and lose resistance on your forwards foot which was holding you up.

I've crashed out of the saddle breaking chains and with unintended shifts off my big ring due to cross-chaining with worn teeth.

Conversely, I've been fine with the same thing happening seated on level ground.
Old 12-31-20, 09:40 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I think I can answer this as I’m the gentleman you’re referring to. I believe your assessment is correct, I was leaning far over my bars and in fact pulling myself forward with each rotation of the pedals by pulling on the brake hoods for leverage. I had so much forward force in motion that I essentially catapulted myself over the bars and (I think?) I maintained my grip on the bars throughout the somersault thus pulling the bike on top of me once I hit the pavement.
But here’s where I’m still not sure what happened....... my chain is not broken!!!
With some wear on its truncated teeth, the chain displacement from cross chaining can be enough to shift off your big ring or triple middle ring.

The sudden forward rotation taking up the slack moving to a smaller ring can cause a crash when you're out of the saddle leaning into a hill and/or pulling on your handle bar.

Been there, done that. It took two crashes for me to realize what was going on and replace my big ring which was not noticeably worn or bent.

I was in the garage moments ago as I’ve been laid out on pain meds unable to move a great deal so didn’t see the bike until now. I will eventually take it to my LBS for repair and I suppose only then will I know what the heck happened. All I can describe is that it was like throwing a transmission into neutral while going full speed.
That's exactly what happens for a fraction of a revolution.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-31-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 07:05 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I had an unscheduled separation from the bike earlier this year due to the chain going into the back wheel - there's a post at https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hain-tool.html detailing what happened. I was quite lucky, no great speed involved, and only minor bruising.

Tomm Willians - sorry to hear about your accident, best wishes for a quick recovery. Coincidentally mine was on a Peugeot as well!
Old 01-02-21, 03:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I broke a chain once. It was winter, and the chain was rusty. Of course it was rusty, what with salty slush being everwhere! Anyway, I was taking off from a stop and it broke right in the max power part of my stroke. Pedal immediately went to the bottom, foot slipped off the pedal, and I went down in a heap. I was right in front of an old lady standing at a bus stop. She was worried I'd hurt myself but I assured her I was OK, stuffed the chain in my pocket, lowered the seat, and draised the remaining mile to my office.
Old 01-04-21, 12:38 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
also it can fall into the rear spokes and mess up a LOT of stuff

cogs
chain
spokes
derailleur hanger
derailleur
even the frame can be bent
Old 01-04-21, 04:52 PM
notmyke

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ever since I got Di2, I pretty much never drop the chain anymore. And even when I have in the past, it's almost always been simply a matter of easy spinning and moving the front derailleur around a bit to hop it back onto the chainrings.

However, I had it for the first time on Di2 around mid-July last year, then again about a week later (both times, easy pedaling around 30km/h), resulting in *immediate* locking up of the rear wheel and this carnage:

That used to be your typical one-piece derailleur.

Thankfully, a RD-9000 I had in the parts pin uses the same jockey-wheel cage as the Di2, so I was able to salvage the rear derailleur.

Last edited by notmyke; 01-04-21 at 04:57 PM.