Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Flatbar/SRAM Conversion Question

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Flatbar/SRAM Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 05:22 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am glad the o.p. finally decided to ask about the ergonomics of replacing the front shifter independently. I for one simply would not be able to abide even the mild difference in dimensions/throw/etc. that might result from simply sourcing any 3x front trigger that might be available other than the one expressly designed to work with the rear shifter of my choice. But we are all losing sight of the prize because all this talk of trigger shifters implies a change of fork and much more and I am just not sure that this is the way to go. The o.p. talked about a custom (steel) fork which is still going to have to match the 1.25" construction of the present carbon fork. I can only imagine that that fork is going to cost more than the entire 2024 value of the present tandem. The exaggeration (if) is only slight. Someone on planet Earth is capable of fabricating a carbon stem raiser in a 1.25" inch format so the o.p. can use their existing controls. The cost should not exceed the contemplated mods. Finding that fabricator would be my priority. Or finding a good Physical Therapist as an alternative. There is also the option of sourcing a tandem already built with an elevated cockpit for the Captain. I've seen these at Tandem Rallies. They must wind up on the classifieds market with some frequency.
I have sourced a new steel fork from Santana which has an uncut steerer tube. It should be arriving tomorrow according to UPS. This should allow me to raise the handlebars 4-6" which is more than necessary. With the proper height of the bars, I will decide whether to change from drop bars to flat bars. I will probably change to flat bars as they give me more control (I really liked them on the previous tandem), and I have all the parts I need (one of the Forum users reached out to me directly and sold me a set of Ultegra flat bar shifters and brake levers at a very reasonable price. Flat bars will also allow me to convert to a SRAM AXS rear derailleur and shifter pods at a reasonable cost.

The present value of the older tandem doesn't really work. The proper analysis is what it will cost to obtain/modify a tandem that fits both of us. I explored a new tandem (off the shelf and custom) and decided against it, primarily because as we age, changes will need to be made, so a new tandem isn't a long term solution.

The idea of using a Physical Therapist after every ride is somewhat amusing, but not practical.
Likes For PromptCritical: