Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will a Campy Chorus 48-32 chainring fit on a Record crankset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 07:56 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts

Hello, and thanks for input!

My main ride has Campy Chorus 2x12 with 48-32 rings and 11-34 cassette, rim brakes. This combo gives me a sub 1:1 granny gear (which I want, living in Colorado).

There's a new build coming along and I'm considering going with Record (rim brakes) for (a) the cachet factor, (b) the brakes, and (c) and shifters--not necessarily in that order :-)

One of my options is to buy Chorus grupo with Record brake hardware. This is the lower cost alternative and I don't get the Record FD and RD but maybe I don't care (?).

Another is to buy Record groupset but replace Record chainring with the Chorus 48-32 CR if the Chorus CR fits the Record crankset. Then I get all the Record goodness and along with the sub 1:1 granny.

Insights are appreciated!

Last edited by eljayski; 02-18-24 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
I would double check the BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter or sometimes PitchCD) but I think for 12 speed it is the same. They look the same at least and I would imagine knowing the top 3 campy groups somewhat that generally it is all interchangeable pretty much but I am not an expert.
Old 02-18-24, 08:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
mechanics forum will get you all the info you need.
Old 02-18-24, 11:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
It won't work. Record uses a traditional style pair of chainrings, albeit with an odd spacing, to fit the standard style record spider. Chorus has the large ring bolt to the crank spider while the small ring bolts to threaded tabs that are a part of the large chainring. So to make things more difficult chorus has two totally different bolt circle diameters for the two chorus rings. However, 11sp chorus uses a completely different design and might be compatible. I currently run a pair of record levers/brakes and the rest chorus, it all works just fine in that regard.
Old 02-19-24, 11:37 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski

My main ride has Campy Chorus 2x12 with 48-32 rings and 11-34 cassette, rim brakes. This combo gives me a sub 1:1 granny gear (which I want, living in Colorado).

There's a new build coming along and I'm considering going with Record (rim brakes) for (a) the cachet factor, (b) the brakes, and (c) and shifters--not necessarily in that order :-)

One of my options is to buy Chorus grupo with Record brake hardware. This is the lower cost alternative and I don't get the Record FD and RD but maybe I don't care (?).

Another is to buy Record groupset but replace Record chainring with the Chorus 48-32 CR if the Chorus CR fits the Record crankset. Then I get all the Record goodness and along with the sub 1:1 granny.

AFAIK the Record and Chorus 12sp cranks use the same 4-bolt pattern - can't be sure about SR - the crank arms look a little different
Old 02-19-24, 05:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
According to the QBP product description:

Record 2x12 50/34 speed uses 112/146 BCD
Chorus 12 speed 48/32 uses 96 BCD
Old 02-19-24, 10:39 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski

rereading this question, I’m a little mystified - why would you swap an individual chainring? Is there some retailer that will allow you to swap individual rings on a new crankset? Or are you talking about buying a record groupset and swapping in a cheaper chorus 48/32 crankset? This would give you the gearing you want while still giving you record RD, shifters and brakes, and save you money (record cranksets are $$$). If this is what you’re contemplating, than yes, a chorus 48/32 crankset will work seamlessly with an otherwise record groupset