Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loose chain tension when not pedaling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 11:40 AM
theone12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I have a Raleigh Record that I use as my everyday campus bike, but recently I am having issues with chain tension. When I stop pedaling during a ride, or lower my rpms, the chain almost instantly goes slack. If I try and then backpedal, the problem worsens. Thus, I am forced keep pedaling even when trying to slow down in order to keep chain tension. Any ideas on what the issue is? gunk on the chain?
Old 04-12-10, 11:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Just checking that you mean the upper loop goes slack when you coast, as opposed to the whole chain being slack when the bike is standing still. The problems are very different and have different causes.

If, as I suspect you're talking about the upper loop going slack when you coast, the problem is related to the freewheel (ratchet) mechanism. What's happening is that the freehub (or freewheel - from now on whatever I say applies to either) is no longer free enough and the moving wheel is pushing it along a bit. You can check this by shifting to the highest gear and spinning the rear wheel off the ground with your fingers on the gear cluster. If you feel any tendency to spin forward you've verified the problem

The cause could be as simple as something like a piece of string getting caught and wound up between the gear block and hub causing binding, or it could be dirt, rust, or dried out, sticky lube inside the mechanism. Check behind the cassette first, and if you don't find anything, you'll need to dis-assemble and service, or replace the freehub. If that's beyond you bring it to the LBS.

BTW- don't keep riding it in this condition
. If the binding gets worse it could spool the chain entirely from the lower loop to the upper with enough tension to destroy the derailleur.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-12-10, 12:06 PM
theone12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, yeah I believe it is the upper loop that goes slack with coasting, and whenever I push the bike either forwards or backwards (when not riding), the pedals also move accordingly.
Old 04-12-10, 12:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK, so either something's caught behind it and you can solve it easily, or it needs service. Either way it's not major, but take my warning about continuing to ride seriously or it could become so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-12-10, 01:01 PM
theone12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help FBinNY, much appreciated
Old 04-12-10, 03:36 PM
theone12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE

Just took it to the bike shop, they told me the entire freehub was shot..so got a new one for around 20 dollars