Old 09-02-10, 01:21 PM
MzMillie

Bikes: GT Timberline Sport Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking Races in Illinois

Is there a website or a place where there are a list of Cycling Races in Illinois? The only one I really know anything about is Bike the Drive, and that's not really a race but more an event.

Any help is appreciated! :-D
Old 09-02-10, 01:24 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Illinois Bike Rides: https://www.mikebentley.com/bike/ilrides.htm

Illinois Bike Races: https://www.illinoiscycling.org/index...unc=list&tid=1

Chicago Bike Races: https://www.chicagobikeracing.com/index.php/site/races

Chicago Group Rides: https://www.chicagobikeracing.com/index.php/rides
Old 09-02-10, 02:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Also let me help a little by clarifying what different types of events are - the nomenclature can be confusing to someone new to the scene:

Crit or Criterium: short (Ususally less than 2 miles) circuit race set up to be raced in laps for a timed interval. Usually 20-30 minutes when starting as a Cat5 (all racers start as a cat 5)
Circuit Race: Longer course Criterium style race. More like a road race but much shorter course raced multiple times
Road Race: Traditionally a point to point race over roads that remain open except for a "rolling closure" when the racers pass through the area. Not very common in these parts.
TT or time Trial: Timed race where racers race alone against the clock. Lowest time wins. popular with racers that don't like "mass start" events like crits. These races are usually not listed on Chicago bike Racing
Track: racing on the track in northbrook or Kenosha.
Cyclocross or Cross: where normal road racers take a perfectly good bicycle and decide to run with it. check out Chicago cyclocross cup for more info
Group Ride: Regular repeating or "standing appointment" ride. Usually hosted by a club, team, or other regular group. there are hundreds of these in the greater Chicago area. There is one for every speed, ability, or level of personal character. Chicago bike Racing is a good source for finding race oriented ones
Charity, "Group Ride", Centuries: these are large organized collections of riders setting out at their own time to complete a laid out course. Not a race. Never to be confused with a race. Most are not timed. best way to tell if you are on one of these is to ask yourself the following questions: Did it require a license from a sanctioning body in order to gain entry? Is it possible to actually gain weight by completing (plethora of snacks and 'rest' stops)? Are there prizes for finishing performance? have you seen a grandma on a beach cruiser, a recumbent and a typical race bike within a few minutes?
Challenge Rides: Similar to Charity or century rides but usually focused on some horrible an stressful part of the hobby and designed to give you more of that experience than you have ever had before. Meant as a way to provide competitive and goal oriented individuals a way to compete and separate themselves (elevate) from others in the community without actually pinning on a number and racing. usually involves hills or outrageous distances.
Radonnnnnearsses: or some such spelled word....these are crazy people. don't go near them or you will be incited to ask questions like, "Really?Why would you ever do that?" Considered to be aliens in human disguise. Jury is still out.

Old 09-02-10, 03:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
While I am on this let me add the following:

If you have experience in the competitive running world you will note 1 major difference with bicycle racing - lack of support. It is actually there but you have to get past all of the bravado that is usually interpreted by newcomers as elitism or other related snobbery.

Example - runners all high-5 each other and give out hugs for "completing" an event. Same with "Try"-athletes for that matter. You usually get participation medals, etc. Road racers (sometimes called Road Nazis) revel in crushing souls. If someone shows sympathy for a lack of performance it is because they have already decided that they can beat you. Outside of that it is actually a lot of fun.

if the idea of riding around as hard as you can within inches of 50-60 people for 30 minutes appeals to you then do crits. If the idea of challenging yourself to go as fast as you can - faster than others - then do TT's. If you want to go as hard as possible while drinking beer - then do cross. If you want to set new personal records - do the organized ride/century/challenge ride thing. If you feel the need for a lobotomy then do triathlons.

Old 09-02-10, 03:25 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Old 09-02-10, 03:35 PM
MzMillie

Bikes: GT Timberline Sport Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMAO thanks for all the break down! I'm doing Tri's looking for a way to stay in racing form now that Tri season is over (well for me anyway) and there are still plenty of riding days left before Old Silver (thats my bike) gets locked away in the dark and cold prison known as my garage until the (not yet arrived, but we know its on its way eventually) snow clears.

I probably would not be good with biking snobs as I'm just looking NOT to lose all teh ground I gained training this summer and hopefully improve to where I can get to 50ish minutes for my 22k next year (my fastest bike split was an hour seven this summer)
Old 09-02-10, 03:50 PM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the links, nixternal. i've been looking for a group ride. i think I'll attend the "Introduction to training rides" first.
Old 09-02-10, 06:45 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Originally Posted by MzMillie
LMAO thanks for all the break down! I'm doing Tri's looking for a way to stay in racing form now that Tri season is over (well for me anyway) and there are still plenty of riding days left before Old Silver (thats my bike) gets locked away in the dark and cold prison known as my garage until the (not yet arrived, but we know its on its way eventually) snow clears.

I probably would not be good with biking snobs as I'm just looking NOT to lose all teh ground I gained training this summer and hopefully improve to where I can get to 50ish minutes for my 22k next year (my fastest bike split was an hour seven this summer)
Well.. we have a female tri-girl riding with our group saturday and sundays and we beat on her pretty badly. She used to get dropped, but now stays with us and she now regularly posts the fastest bike splits during her tri races
Old 09-02-10, 10:51 PM
John Wilke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you race ... PLEASE shave your legs. Thank you.
Old 09-03-10, 10:10 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Originally Posted by John Wilke
If you race ... PLEASE shave your legs. Thank you.
Weenie!
Old 09-07-10, 08:51 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Bike racing: If you want to stay up all night partying, drinking and maybe smoking illegal substances and then go out and race for a couple of hours at a very high level. Post ride recovery also involves drinking, cooking out and laughing at people who break bikes or themselves.

I broke 3 ribs training for a MTB race and all my ride partner had to say was the following: That looked painful now get up and finish you ****.

Yes, I finished the ride and raced the next race with broken ribs THAT's the difference in MTB racers. Also, leg shaving will get you a "****" or "roadie" badge.

I've also broken my hand, fingers and have a Ti plate in my leg from MTB riding/racing. Oh yeah, I broke my back too.

Pity that I won't have as much of that when I move to the area.

Looks like the closest thing I will have is cross racing. it still involves beer.

just a FYI about Crit racing....do you like broken collar bones?