Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How did that happen!?!?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How did that happen!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 08:55 AM
Wolfvegas

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did that happen!?!?

So my buddy and I went for a ride last night (he doesnt ride) he had my 21 speed CCM and I had my single speed katmandu. He is a smoker but he is fit works out with weights and is in pretty decent shape like 6 packs and ****. Anyways he could never keep up and had to stop for breaks often. he has like 15" in height on me and obviously more powerful legs, any idea why he had such a hard time keeping up with my little ass.
Old 08-12-12, 08:57 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
(he doesn't ride)

Old 08-12-12, 09:11 AM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
he smokes.
Old 08-12-12, 09:21 AM
Wolfvegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but besides those two factors, he has a multi speed, im rockin a single speed up steep ass hills AND he is in like 2X as good physical shape as me... I guess those are two big factors. Anyways it made me feel like I actually achieved something.
Old 08-12-12, 11:45 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfvegas
Yeah but besides those two factors, he has a multi speed, im rockin a single speed up steep ass hills AND he is in like 2X as good physical shape as me... I guess those are two big factors.
They are not two big factors, because the shape he is in, however good, is not the sort of shape you need to be in to ride bikes. Weight-training will do lots of things for you, but it won't build aerobic fitness.
Old 08-12-12, 11:55 AM
Wolfvegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is cardio fitness the same as aerobic fitness? He kept saying his lungs and legs were on fire, for me I run out of oxygen before that starts to happen
Old 08-12-12, 12:30 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfvegas
Is cardio fitness the same as aerobic fitness?
Yes, pretty much. Cycling is predominantly an aerobic activity, like other endurance sports. How good you are is heavily dependent on how much oxygen you can get into your bloodstream and transport to and burn in your muscles. Google for VO2 max and lactate threshold if you want to know more about it.

Weight-lifting is largely anaerobic, that is, lifting heavy weights doesn't require much oxygen. it builds strength and explosive power but not aerobic endurance. A weight-lifter might well outsprint you over forty metres, but you'll absolutely kill him over a kilometre or so.
Old 08-12-12, 02:59 PM
Wolfvegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only thing that stops me from going hard all day is my lungs im trying to draw so much air in but I run out of breath, but my lungs never "hurt" or on fire
Old 08-12-12, 05:35 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You crushed him. The next time that you ride with him you need to ride up and down the hills as he is struggling just to get to the top. Put the smack down on him while you can.

Just don't get into a lifting contest with him.

Most of us are not good at everything. We are lucky to just be really good at anything.

I think that our bodies adapt to our exercise. Bike riders need a good flow of blood and nutrients to their leg muscles and my guess is that people that have been riding for years have developed more or better blood vessels in their legs. I would also think that muscle growth is an adaptation to lifting heavy weights.

I am not qualified in any way to make the above statements. It is just my best guess.
Old 08-12-12, 08:44 PM
Wolfvegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next week we are going again, this time im going to go 20km on flats first then tackle the hills with him lolol... CRUSH!!!!!
Old 08-13-12, 04:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Plus, if he has 15" (?) height on you your bike was seriously way too small for him. That's going to hurt performance quite a bit right there.
Old 08-13-12, 04:56 AM
Diddii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
being in a good shape dosn't really make you good at anything, you could have a good physique (like bodybuilders) and have no endurance. Bodybuilders might even sweat walking up 5 floors while some overweight guy who has done it almost everyday while going to work has no effect on taking the steps (muscle memery). If you do something often... you'll get better.

pro cyclist would have a chance in a strongman competions and vice versa, physical shape isn't something one achives and is good at everything.
Old 08-13-12, 05:32 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Even though you were on a single speed, to keep the rpm up it's typical to beat someone up a hill who has the ability to downshift. The lower gears are easier, but slower. It also depends on all the other factors that might make the bike you were on more efficient. For example, tires, weight of the bike, your weight etc. etc.

My friend with a geared weight weenie bike begs me not to ride my track bike with him, I crush him on hills.

My points add to the total picture, the other comments about health and being in shape are all valid. It is not just one factor, it is the total of all the small things.

edit - his upper body strength may make him heavier, it is actually a negative thing when cycling. Even more so when going up a hill.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 08-13-12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 03:57 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you give a 21 speed bike to a smoker that doesn't ride , who is probably also packing a lot more weight than you due to weightlifting, and not to mention the bike probably doesn't fit him then dust him on your single speed and still wonder why he couldn't keep up?
Old 08-14-12, 08:03 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're obviously doping.
Old 08-14-12, 10:34 AM
umcade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is indeed a conundrum, having 20 more speeds than you, he should be able to go 20 x faster.
Old 08-15-12, 03:28 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
he is in like 2X as good physical shape as me
Bull biscuits. You are comparing apples to oranges. Too many people equate muscle mass and being lean with being fit. I came from a powerlifting background and I know a lot of bodybuilder types who are huge and ripped who absolutely suck from a cardiovascular standpoint. Now there is nothing wrong with being muscular and lean and both can benefit cycling, but without cardiovascular conditioning to back it up, extra muscle mass is just more weight to carry around. I'm still a big guy with a better than average amount of muscle, but I routinely get blown into the weeds by skinny little guys who are barely cracking a sweat as they blast past me while I'm sucking wind.

Remember that cycling, besides requiring cardiovascular capacity and endurance, is also about the power to weight ratio. It's not about how many pounds of muscle you carry, it's about how many watts you can generate per pound.

There is a reason that Olympic caliber powerlifters make crappy triathletes and visa-versa. When you say "fit" my question is "Fit do do what? Do you want to bench press a Buick or outrun one?".

Last edited by Myosmith; 08-15-12 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 04:15 AM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an interesting aspect to it.

However, elites are known to pedal faster than beginners, and with more oomph on the down stroke of their pedal action [2]. The exact reason why pros get more force down through the pedals is not clear. But (unsurprisingly) it seems to be due to their muscles, which contain higher blood capillary density and the type of muscle fibers that can only really be built up through years of endurance training
It's from this page.

https://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/art...matters-16394/