Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Off-Brand MIPS Helmet

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 02:01 AM
weeee12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I'm new to the world of cycling and recently made an impulsive purchase of a Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 Mountain Bike from REI. It's been an exciting journey so far!

Now, I'm in search of a helmet with MIPS certification. After conducting some online research, I've learned about the enhanced safety offered by the MIPS system. However, I've noticed that most cycling helmets with MIPS certification come with a hefty price tag, ranging from $80 to $300. Considering the fact that helmets need to be replaced after a significant impact, I find these big-name brands beyond my budget. (I've already learned my lesson about impulsive spending when it comes to my MTB, and I don't want to repeat the same mistake with the helmet.)

While exploring various options, I stumbled upon off-brand helmets that also boast MIPS certification. For instance, the Outdoor Master MIPS Helmet Gem caught my attention due to its significantly lower price point. I won't provide a link here, but my rationale is that since it's MIPS-certified, it should offer similar functionality. This leads me to seek advice from all of you. Have any of you ever used an off-brand MIPS helmet? If so, what was your experience like?
Old 07-13-23, 07:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 437 Posts
Is this the helmet? . Outdoor Master MIPS Helmet Gemhttps://outdoormaster.com/products/mips-bike-helmet-gem (sorry this link doesn't go to site!) I am not aware of a MIPS certification (doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one), and don't see the "usual" standards mentioned in their ad. Here's a link to many helmet standards--maybe there is one of these in a label inside the helmet, but seems they would have mentioned it in the ad: Standards — DOME (helmetfacts.com)

Last edited by freeranger; 07-13-23 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-13-23, 08:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts
You only have one head/brain and you want to go cheap on protecting it in case you crash?
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-13-23, 11:52 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Maybe look around to see if you can find a closeout. If none found, the peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Old 07-14-23, 04:56 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 184 Posts
The Specialized Centro is on sale right now for $40 on their site. Don't cheap out on a helmet. There is no excuse to do so.
Old 07-14-23, 05:51 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts
You shouldn’t be anticipating so many significant Impacts to your helmet either. Many riders never have one.
Old 07-14-23, 06:23 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
The Specialized Centro is on sale right now for $40 on their site. Don't cheap out on a helmet. There is no excuse to do so.
That's a nice helmet for a great price.
Old 07-14-23, 09:25 AM
Extremeengineer

Bikes: 22 Kona Hei Hei CR

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
In another thread here somewhere I learned of the Virginia Tech Helmet ratings, LINK
Looks like #10 the Giant Rev Comp Mips is a pretty good MIPS deal at $65 given the price of similarly performing helmets. HERE it is for $45.50, even better.
Likes For Extremeengineer:
Old 07-14-23, 04:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Bell MIPS helmets are for sale on Amazon for less than $40. If you repeatedly land on your head and need to replace the bike helmet you should consider not bicycling.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-15-23, 05:12 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
In my opinion, The Giant helmets are very underrated, and the Bell are not as good as they used to be. See if you can try on and buy that Giant helmet.