Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Electric Shift In Your Future?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Electric Shift In Your Future?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 10:39 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
All luddites, please cover your ears and close your eyes lest you be struck by the future ... the rest may find this amusing

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Charles Shimano Sequential Video // Fairwheel

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

.be

Last edited by metalheart44; 07-31-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 10:47 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I can see it if there are medical issues (arthritis or ?) but for me part of the biking experience is that it is purely mechanical - no motors or engines involved - so I don't think I'll ever bother with it.

And looking at some of the earlier posts, it seems to me that the next great 'must have' will be automatic shifters. I don't even like driving an automatic car!

Last edited by Mountain Mitch; 07-31-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 10:52 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
OK, I peeked.

Meh.

So what happens if I want to put up with a little cross-chaining to get some semblance of half-step gearing (I do that occasionally)? Does that system permit that option?

Kinda reminds me of what of the more irritating thing about modern automobiles ... you cant get air directed to the defrosting ducts without turning the air conditioning on. They do it automatically for you, probably because so many people are too clueless to know that the A/C helps and is useful in really difficult conditions. But of course, once you use the A/C for defrosting, you'd better keep it on, or the moisture on the condenser will make matters worse.

There is an old saw in engineering ... make something only a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it. Not always true, of course ... but there is some truth to it. Automatically making choices for me without a manual option falls into that category for me.

Old 07-31-13, 11:18 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not in *my* future. I just took a job that I hope will be my last, even though it only pays 55% of the last one I had that was in my field. My wife let me know this means I've bought my last bike (or set of components, for that matter).
Old 07-31-13, 11:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I used to say that I didn't want any app on my phone that didn't start with me saying "Hello." Then Mrs. Grouch forced a phone on me that I could text with and now texting is my communication method of choice.
Old 07-31-13, 11:48 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am totally down with electronic shifting. It may not be in my budget for a long time, if indeed it ever is. All you luddites, traditionalists, whatever, if you are shifting at all you are using advanced bicycle technology. Tell me you are riding fixed gear exclusively, and you will make a better case for yourself..
Old 07-31-13, 12:11 PM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm retiring in two weeks. I'm stuck with what I've got. And yes, one of them is fixed gear.
Old 07-31-13, 12:27 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I was excited when Di2 was released in Ultegra. Price went down and design modified from the D/A version. I'm really looking forward to getting a Di2 bike, probably because I work for NASA and have been at the forefront of technology for 30 years now. When Ultegra 6800 Di2 is released this November, I hope it is at a price point that I can afford.
I expect as is typical with electronics, the first generation is $5,000 the next generation is $500, the third generation is $50 and the forth generation is $5..... At that point the old technology simply fades into history......
Old 07-31-13, 02:24 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
I am totally down with electronic shifting. It may not be in my budget for a long time, if indeed it ever is. All you luddites, traditionalists, whatever, if you are shifting at all you are using advanced bicycle technology. Tell me you are riding fixed gear exclusively, and you will make a better case for yourself..
If you follow that line of reasoning, riding any kind of bicycle at all is verboten.
Old 07-31-13, 02:31 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by CraigB
If you follow that line of reasoning, riding any kind of bicycle at all is verboten.
I'm also one of those nuts who prefers to drive a car with a manual gearshift. I also prefer using ergonomic controls that I can distinguish by feel instead of the touch screen BS so predominant now.

Swiftly going the way of the dinosaur, I guess.

Old 07-31-13, 02:49 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I'm also one of those nuts who prefers to drive a car with a manual gearshift.
So do I. So do the vast majority of Europeans.

But the analogy isn't sound. Di2 as it currently stands doesn't change gear automatically for you, it merely uses electronics to implement your manual input. More like the paddle systems on race cars. The driver chooses when to make the change, he just no longer has to operate a clutch.
Old 07-31-13, 03:06 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

I agree ... mostly. I was referring more to the design where both the front and back derailleur choice is made for the user.

I say "mostly" because there are things you can do with a manual transmission that cannot be done with an automatic (and of course, vice versa). Push starting, for example. I've driven paddle actuated transmissions and they honestly don't appeal to me. Most would consider the automatic xmission superior ... especially the new ones. They're actually capable of better gasoline mileage, particularly the CVT transmissions (likely coming in all cars to meet CAFE requirements), and don't require clutch replacement for the life of the car.

I guess the point really was that just because something is new or uses new technology, doesn't mean it's better. And even if it's better for most, it doesn't mean it's better for everyone. The touch screen interface on new cars is a good example. It's common because it's a cheap way to implement a lot of features, and design changes during development are easier ... not because the end product is better. In a lot of important respects (to me, ergonomics, which are a safety issue), it's worse.

Back on point, electromechanical shifting is a "meh" to me. I don't oppose it ... I just see it as a complex answer to a question that wasn't asked. Changing out cables and fiddling with barrel adjusters now and again has never troubled me. Then again, I know people for whom indexed shifting was a game-changer, so what do I know? lol

Kinda funny I'd find myself with these kind of opinions ... new technology is my business. You'd think I'd be more of a proponent of technology or technology's sake.

Old 07-31-13, 03:10 PM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a difference from the mechanics perpective, not so much from the rider. Replacing little black boxes might not seem attractive (not to mention expensive) to the DIY mechanic.
Old 07-31-13, 03:27 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, I peeked.

Meh.

So what happens if I want to put up with a little cross-chaining to get some semblance of half-step gearing (I do that occasionally)? Does that system permit that option?

Kinda reminds me of what of the more irritating thing about modern automobiles ... you cant get air directed to the defrosting ducts without turning the air conditioning on. They do it automatically for you, probably because so many people are too clueless to know that the A/C helps and is useful in really difficult conditions. But of course, once you use the A/C for defrosting, you'd better keep it on, or the moisture on the condenser will make matters worse.

There is an old saw in engineering ... make something only a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it. Not always true, of course ... but there is some truth to it. Automatically making choices for me without a manual option falls into that category for me.
I saw a request for this type of Di2 system for Half-step gearing that would automatically shift in sequential order with both the front and rear shifting together every other gear combination. That would be a great demonstration of Di2's power but I don't know if it would be fun to ride.

I would like to ride the system shown on our tandem with all the shifts under power to see how it does. Might be just what we would like because of our (lack of) power to weight ratio we shift at least 50% more than I do on my single.

Still another electronic system with more wires and another battery might be a pain. I can continue to ride when my Garmin dies but shifting is pretty important. Those with multiple bikes have to remember that batteries die when not used for extended periods. Picked up my nice drill driver the other day and the really big battery was stone dead and the spare battery as well. They charged up nicely and work fine .....after an hour in the charger.
Old 07-31-13, 03:36 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by waynesulak
I saw a request for this type of Di2 system for Half-step gearing that would automatically shift in sequential order with both the front and rear shifting together every other gear combination. That would be a great demonstration of Di2's power but I don't know if it would be fun to ride.
See there .. on a digital electromechanical system, that sort of a thing is easier to implement, as much of it can be done in software. It's also possible that a Di system could be used with 10 or 11+ speeds, merely by uploading new software/firmware or setting a flag. The same technology is probably more usable with continuously variable designs too, so it is a bit of a pathfinder for that.

To be honest, I think that's the reason for the push. It makes inter compatibility issues much easier to resolve.

Old 07-31-13, 03:38 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
At 66, by the time they come down to an affordable price, I'll be too old to ride a road bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-31-13, 04:00 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See there .. on a digital electromechanical system, that sort of a thing is easier to implement, as much of it can be done in software. It's also possible that a Di system could be used with 10 or 11+ speeds, merely by uploading new software/firmware or setting a flag. The same technology is probably more usable with continuously variable designs too, so it is a bit of a pathfinder for that.

To be honest, I think that's the reason for the push. It makes inter compatibility issues much easier to resolve.
Electronic shifting does open new possibilities however I would guess Shimano and others will do everything they can to prevent adapting older shifters and derailleurs to new systems. They are in the business of selling new components and I don't think they are planning on undercutting their own sales. That was one advantage of Shimano changing a perfectly good brake pull ratio with the newer shifters. Helps sell brakes calipers.

It will be pretty easy to prevent any forward compatibility. An example is Garmn's maps. They are tied to a device and you buy an new device then you have to buy new maps from Garmin.

There will be people out there than can hack the systems but I do not expect wide distribution of upgradable products. Campy allowed the easy conversion of 9 speed shifters to 10 speed by changing one part. They have not made that mistake again. They actually went to other direction and from what I hear the Campy 11s cannot be repaired and are now disposable like Shimano. We can hope that some niche after market vendors will pop up selling replacement memory chips that are programmed for the desired conversion.

It appears to be good business on their part. Most people don't buy on adaptability or repairability.

Last edited by waynesulak; 07-31-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 04:40 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The Di2 includes two microprocessors. (https://www.popsci.com/content/powered-gear-shifters.)

My point is that it's a trivial matter to have the microprocessors take your simple signal (shift up or shift down), and decide which derailler (or both) to use. You could write the code for this in minutes. This is something the computer should do, not you.

Of course, someone at Shimano would have thought of that, so either they don't want to scare us dumb bicyclists with a new paradigm, or there's some other reason to do it the old way.

And can someone tell me why they don't do this wirelessly?

If I were designing it, you'd have a little doohickey that goes on your thumb. Push down (flex) to shift down and push up to shift up. Accessible no matter where your hand is.
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Ah, interesting, that could explain it. But does it matter if you might have to shift both the FD and RD if it is done for you, and you can shift while accelerating? IOW, why do you leave it in the big ring and cross-chain, and is that reason valid with electric shifting?
The technology for automatic shifting (as opposed to electronically assisted shifting) has been around for a decade or more. But I think Shimano has been concentrating on development with internally geared hubs and the shifts are based on no input from the rider other than the pedalling effort detecting through the system.

However, it only has been in the past few years that bikes have become available with the system, and those have only a limited gear range.

Here is a page from the Western Australian government bike site that discusses the matter:

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media..._autobikes.pdf

Bikeradar got quite excited about the Alfine hub going to electronic shifting, but it's not automatic:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...ictures-33229/

And there is this hybrid system developed in the UK for smartphone users:

https://www.gizmag.com/automatic-gear...icycles/24956/

I think much of the development has a way to go to mature enough to be able to sustain extended use in the field. One of the issues, I gather, is how to override the system should the batteries fail and the rider is miles from nowhere.

As to shifting both front and rear ders at the same time, I am not sure it is electronic technology that is the hurdle.

Chain tension (linked with increased chain wear) might have a role here. I can get away with using my manual levers to double shift most times, but I know to slightly slacken the chain tension through the pedals enough to make the shift successful.

I don't know how it goes with Di2, and maybe some users can give us some feedback on how the shifts go when accelerating hard and keeping huge pressure on the chain. Judging from what I have seen on the Grand Tours in the past two seasons, the system sometimes fails under pressure. I'd be particularly interested n feedback on front der shifts down to the smaller ring when climbing.
Old 07-31-13, 04:56 PM
Rowan

I might just add that the reason why full automatic electronic shifting on bikes has not gone the full course in development may be the rise of electric-assist bicycles, the prevalence of which in the marketplace has become quite strong and are likely more suited to the target market automatic shifting might have attracted.
Old 07-31-13, 05:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Remember, these are not just simple electomechanical systems with servo to actuate, they have brains, ie, chip sets. Therein lies the Achilles heel. At some point there will be problems, just like pure mechanical systems, but the electrical problems will not be cheap to fix.

Which brings to mind, how many Shimano Flight Deck computers are still able to function with daily use? I remember customers destroying wiring harnesses just by changing handlebar tape.

As was said before, electronic shifting is solving a problem that never existed, but is creating new problems for the future!

Hey, will there be firmware updates needed sometime?
Old 07-31-13, 05:56 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It was partly tongue in cheek that I embedded the video, but it does show what some folks are doing to adapt the system.

On my Di2 , I often do almost simultaneous shifts of the front derailleur (big to small ring) and the rear derailleur (down a cog or two) when climbing and the chain is under load. Works just fine and it can be done very quickly so there is almost no loss of momentum. I am sure the same can be done with a well tuned mechanical system, but it works just fine to make a quick simultaneous front/rear shift under load on a hill. Don't feel I need the auto-adjust for my riding style, but the Di2 adds to my riding experience since I could care less about the mechanics of it all. I can focus on the riding experience and not one more mechanical thing in my life.
Old 07-31-13, 11:22 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Tested Di2 on our tandem last year.
Worked/shifted faultlessly for about 1,300+ miles.
However the red idiot light that was to inform it needed recharging never did work. Front derailleur quit shifting, which indicated it needed recharging.
Recharged it fully. In another 300 miles had several issues with the system. Then it quit shifting without warning in the middle of a tough hill climb.
Great when it was working; lousy when it quit!
Ditched the Di2 and back to 9 speed barcons.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tandem smiley..gif (9.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-01-13, 12:16 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_V
At 66, by the time they come down to an affordable price, I'll be too old to ride a road bike.
Balderdash! I was older than you before I started riding a road bike. You've lots of road bike years yet.
Old 08-01-13, 02:03 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
...and maybe some users can give us some feedback on how the shifts go when accelerating hard and keeping huge pressure on the chain.
It just works

I've shifted up/down/separately/simultaneously under all conditions of spinning, "sprinting" (for me), sitting while climbing, standing while climbing etc. It just works.

I used to spend a lot of time strategizing how to shift under various conditions. That can be enjoyable in itself, which I understand. Now I don't really think about what kind of shifting is "bad" or dangerous or likely to make me miss a shift or drop a chain or whatever.
Old 08-01-13, 03:02 AM
Rowan

Thanks for that feedback, Jim. It just confirmed my desire to acquire a groupset sometime. I have plans for a TT/tri bike for triathlons in the next 12 months, and that may be a suitable platform for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.