Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Broke My Max Speed Record Today

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Broke My Max Speed Record Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 07:42 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have a segment where I get in the low 40s, BUT, it is subject to pretty good cross winds and even though I am +/- 190 lb, on my 38 section rims I get blown around a bit and that "encourages" me to dial it back a bit.

scott s.
Old 07-31-17, 09:42 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Outstanding!

I've been trying to break 50 for a while and have come within a few tenths thereof. Close but no cigar.

Well done!
Old 07-31-17, 10:06 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Awesome
Old 07-31-17, 10:32 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Holy cow, that's fast! Congrats.

I get nervous when I hit half that.
Old 07-31-17, 10:32 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Moved to General from 50+
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-31-17, 10:42 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Moved to General from 50+
But he went 50+
?
Old 08-01-17, 08:16 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
The Wall! In Michigan? where?
One of the backroads routes that connect East Jordan and Boyne City, Mi. It's a terribly steep short section ending a decent 2 mile grade out of EJ. When descending, you just dont dare going too much faster because of the blind curve. You just dont dare to run the center for caution of oncoming traffic. It all happens in a flash.
Old 08-01-17, 08:48 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I sometimes look at it like this. Imagine climbing into the back of a pickup truck wearing your biking kit. Then jump out onto the road at 50 mph. Not sure the lycra shorts and nylon jersey will do much or even still be on your body. So while I do on occasion hit 40 mph on a downhill, I generally keep it around 35. And then I envision jumping out of that same pickup at 35 mph and frankly, the outcome isn't much better. Though the sliding, rolling, tumbling may end in a shorter distance! I live in a mountainous area and most downhills are accompanied by sharp curves and switchbacks. Thankfully, this prevents a lot of otherwise high speed temptations.
Old 08-01-17, 12:26 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I sometimes look at it like this. Imagine climbing into the back of a pickup truck wearing your biking kit. Then jump out onto the road at 50 mph. Not sure the lycra shorts and nylon jersey will do much or even still be on your body. So while I do on occasion hit 40 mph on a downhill, I generally keep it around 35. And then I envision jumping out of that same pickup at 35 mph and frankly, the outcome isn't much better. Though the sliding, rolling, tumbling may end in a shorter distance! I live in a mountainous area and most downhills are accompanied by sharp curves and switchbacks. Thankfully, this prevents a lot of otherwise high speed temptations.
The roar of the wind is a rush!
Old 08-01-17, 02:41 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I just wouldn't trust myself to go that fast. My record is somewhere in the low 40s and i was scared $hitle$$
Old 08-01-17, 03:00 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
But he went 50+
?
Chapeau!

oldmanchapeau by trsnrtr, on Flickr

Old 08-01-17, 05:31 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
50+ mph - Not yet but got 47 down Hurricane Ridge, Port Angles, WA. Since I was 76YO at the time it was a real rush. Road was closed for event so anything goes. My first attempt at going UP a mountain with a road bike - never again.
Old 08-01-17, 05:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
your bike must be tuned really well. no sign of the dreaded death wobble?
OMG, I got the worse death wobble on my 1987 Circuit the first time I did a fast descent on it. Was pushing to finally hit above 55 mph and had to hit the rear brake going into a turn due to traffic in the way. Worst death wobble ever and I couldn't stop it. Still nightmares over that.

Still I've descended with it several times since, you just never know....
Old 08-01-17, 05:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Awesome job OP! It's a rush isn't it? If you know the road, your abilities, and your equipment I say, "GO FOR IT"!
Old 08-01-17, 06:24 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
that's awesome! brings back memories....

my speed record may or may not be 50.0mph, questionable due to being recorded on a cateye cyclocomputer, i was not gps-enabled at the time. it was about 10 years ago, i really wanted to crack fifty that day. i was on my first roadie machine, which had a triple, top gear was 52-12. i was on the right road for it, going northbound on GA 348 (aka Hogpen Gap) gives you a long, straight and steep descent, but conditions were not ideal. it had rained overnight and there is a 90 degree right at the bottom of the straight and the turn was shaded by the tree canopy. i started down from the top with my goal in mind, but as i clicked thru the gears, i could begin to see glistening pavement in the curve. i wavered in my commitment. i glanced down at the cateye and saw that i was close, pedaled a bit, read the curve again, pedaled bit more, and eventually decided that i was already going too fast to not touch 50. so i did and immediately throttled back. oh, how i wish i could repeat that ride on a dry day!

i once again live near mountains, after a few years in the flatlands, and have been enjoying those climbs and descents this year. my top gear is, again, 52-12, but i haven't been on a long, straight, steep section like that one. my gps record is a mere 48.5, per mapmyride. there is a disparity between the Vmax recorded in my phone and what's reported online (49.6), but i'm short either way. pretty sure there is an 11t cog in my future.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Awesome job OP! It's a rush isn't it? If you know the road, your abilities, and your equipment I say, "GO FOR IT"!
YOLO!!!

Last edited by kevrider; 08-01-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 06:30 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I sometimes look at it like this. Imagine climbing into the back of a pickup truck wearing your biking kit. Then jump out onto the road at 50 mph. Not sure the lycra shorts and nylon jersey will do much or even still be on your body.
that's funny, when i was riding those NGa hills, i would tell my cousin that i wished i could cycle up in my cycling kit like normal, then have a wardrobe change at the top, donning my complete, head-to-foot moto kit -- maybe with clipless boots?
https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycl...?itok=VYeCyhpD

then i could fly down the hill at ludicrous speed without concern for my safety. but, it turns out that i do the same in lycra. yes, i'm an optimist.
Old 08-01-17, 07:23 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The roar of the wind is a rush!
Well there IS that. :-)
Old 08-01-17, 07:41 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nice! I hit mine this month too, a relatively paltry 42MPH on a loaded touring bike coming down a loose gravel chipseal 14% grade. Still kick myself for not going for 45, but I didn't have the gears to pedal it out and I knew there was a car somewhere around the corner! Bike was rock solid tho, as assuring as any motorbike, and I made it down a minute quicker than friends!

One of the backroads routes that connect East Jordan and Boyne City, Mi.
Is this on a route commonly used by DALMAC? I believe I've heard of it before, wondering if I should prepare my brakes...

Last edited by jefnvk; 08-01-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 08:08 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider
that's funny, when i was riding those NGa hills, i would tell my cousin that i wished i could cycle up in my cycling kit like normal, then have a wardrobe change at the top, donning my complete, head-to-foot moto kit -- maybe with clipless boots?
https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycl...?itok=VYeCyhpD

then i could fly down the hill at ludicrous speed without concern for my safety. but, it turns out that i do the same in lycra. yes, i'm an optimist.
I've done this, but using soccer slider shorts and goalie shirt. It actually looks a lot like cycling Lycra but with strategically placed impact pads.

Also, just having a base layer or extra pair of shorts on saves a lot of skin.
Old 08-02-17, 08:27 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by jefnvk

Is this on a route commonly used by DALMAC? I believe I've heard of it before, wondering if I should prepare my brakes...
It is! I live in the downtown area of Boyne City and each year I keep an eye out for the DALMAC riders. Dont prepare your brakes....prepare your legs. You will be going up the hill I went down on. There is an alternate route that day, though.
Old 08-02-17, 08:36 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by kevrider
that's awesome! brings back memories....

my speed record may or may not be 50.0mph, questionable due to being recorded on a cateye cyclocomputer, i was not gps-enabled at the time. it was about 10 years ago, i really wanted to crack fifty that day. i was on my first roadie machine, which had a triple, top gear was 52-12. i was on the right road for it, going northbound on GA 348 (aka Hogpen Gap) gives you a long, straight and steep descent, but conditions were not ideal. it had rained overnight and there is a 90 degree right at the bottom of the straight and the turn was shaded by the tree canopy. i started down from the top with my goal in mind, but as i clicked thru the gears, i could begin to see glistening pavement in the curve. i wavered in my commitment. i glanced down at the cateye and saw that i was close, pedaled a bit, read the curve again, pedaled bit more, and eventually decided that i was already going too fast to not touch 50. so i did and immediately throttled back. oh, how i wish i could repeat that ride on a dry day!

i once again live near mountains, after a few years in the flatlands, and have been enjoying those climbs and descents this year. my top gear is, again, 52-12, but i haven't been on a long, straight, steep section like that one. my gps record is a mere 48.5, per mapmyride. there is a disparity between the Vmax recorded in my phone and what's reported online (49.6), but i'm short either way. pretty sure there is an 11t cog in my future.

YOLO!!!
I ride an '88 Cannondale Criterium Series (the one with the reputation for giving scro-butt, fillings jarred loose and numb hands) that has upgrades for hills, there is the 39/53 matched to a 12-28 cassette on very light wheels. Very solid and a ton of fun on hills. I was living with excitement reading your excellent recount of the descent. I was almost grabbing the brakes at the telling of the approaching curve with the shadetrees.
Old 08-02-17, 08:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
It is! I live in the downtown area of Boyne City and each year I keep an eye out for the DALMAC riders. Dont prepare your brakes....prepare your legs. You will be going up the hill I went down on. There is an alternate route that day, though.
Dang it! Well, maybe I'll turn around, ride back down it, and then go back up a second time

I don't know the actual routes, this is the first time I am doing it. I think the longer route that day largely retraces the Zoo de Mack ride we did earlier this year, so we'll probably just stick to the shorter ride on new roads. I wouldn't mind hitting up the hill, though, I want to tackle some serious grades not on a touring bike! Got enough leg prep in Iceland on those hills

Last edited by jefnvk; 08-02-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 08:39 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Chapeau!

oldmanchapeau by trsnrtr, on Flickr
I love this picture!
Old 08-02-17, 10:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Dang it! Well, maybe I'll turn around, ride back down it, and then go back up a second time

I don't know the actual routes, this is the first time I am doing it. I think the longer route that day largely retraces the Zoo de Mack ride we did earlier this year, so we'll probably just stick to the shorter ride on new roads. I wouldn't mind hitting up the hill, though, I want to tackle some serious grades not on a touring bike! Got enough leg prep in Iceland on those hills

What??? You're doing DALMAC? Which route? I am signed up for the 5-day West. All routes except the 5DE include The Wall; although as I wrote earlier, after riding up it for almost 20 years, I finally started taking what they call the Advance Route, which I believe is hillier but doesn't have that one serious grade. And the roads are much better. I definitely recommend that anyone on their first DALMAC should do The Wall, just for bragging rights. In keeping with Photobucket's new policy, I'll just provide a URL to the map/elevation graph:
https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...s/walltopo.gif
Old 08-02-17, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
The Smithsonian called. It wants its Garmin back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.