Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This one hurt. Microphlebectomy results

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 05:22 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I decided not to push my luck and ride this week.

This was my 8th and hopefully final procedure to deal with bad veins in my legs. Had this done Monday - still really swollen to about twice normal and painful. None of the rest have been like this. Dr warned me - he saved this for last, some very superficial/surface veins that he said were close to nerve endings, this one would hurt more. He was right .

More swollen, more painful but much less bruising than prior procedures - go figure. This is normal post-procedure stuff, just a little more significant than average.

I can't recall all of them, but I think it was 4 ablations and 4 microsurgeries. Done!

Anyone considering this for medical reasons - not fun but hardly the worst thing. But well worth it. I had veins bad enough some were ulcerated and bled. Good relief from that, pain, itching, swelling

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-28-17 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 07:34 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
If bicycle and component manufacturers made replacement body parts, what would they be, and what would be their characteristics?
Carbon fiber with trendy paint and decals?
Old 07-28-17, 08:49 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
You talkin' 'bout varicose veins, then? Surely it's an older cyclist's badge of honour. And if you're a New Zealander, you won't feel the pain . . . .(London Olympics, velodrome crash)
I told my granddaughters they were the latest tattoos . . . .
Old 07-28-17, 10:58 AM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
You talkin' 'bout varicose veins, then? Surely it's an older cyclist's badge of honour. And if you're a New Zealander, you won't feel the pain . . . .(London Olympics, velodrome crash)
I told my granddaughters they were the latest tattoos . . . .
Only this very last procedure. Most of them, about 90%, were deeper veins, primarily the saphenous veins. I guess, technically, these all qualify as "varicose veins" because they are part of the "superficial" venous system, as opposed to the "deep" venous system ( iliac, femoral, popliteal, and tibial veins).

I guess you could consider it a "badge of honor" as long as it doesn't get the point an ulcerated vein bleeds and won't stop - not fun having to drain the blood out of your shoe every 20 minutes, which I've done at the ER/Urgent Care. This wasn't cosmetic - I posted this (there was originally a picture) to try to encourage people to consider this as a treatment option if it would help them.

For some unknown reason, I seem to have this desire to live, even when everything tells me otherwise. This is part of that.
Old 07-28-17, 12:17 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Only this very last procedure. Most of them, about 90%, were deeper veins, primarily the saphenous veins. I guess, technically, these all qualify as "varicose veins" because they are part of the "superficial" venous system, as opposed to the "deep" venous system ( iliac, femoral, popliteal, and tibial veins).

I guess you could consider it a "badge of honor" as long as it doesn't get the point an ulcerated vein bleeds and won't stop - not fun having to drain the blood out of your shoe every 20 minutes, which I've done at the ER/Urgent Care. This wasn't cosmetic - I posted this (there was originally a picture) to try to encourage people to consider this as a treatment option if it would help them.
I did not realize the vein thing could get that bad. Thanks for posting. Additional evidence that aging is not for the faint of heart.
Old 07-28-17, 01:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
feel better soon
Old 07-28-17, 02:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts

This was my 8th and hopefully final procedure to deal with bad veins in my legs. Had this done Monday - still really swollen to about twice normal and painful. None of the rest have been like this. Dr warned me - he saved this for last, some very superficial/surface veins that he said were close to nerve endings, this one would hurt more. He was right .

More swollen, more painful but much less bruising than prior procedures - go figure. This is normal post-procedure stuff, just a little more significant than average.

I can't recall all of them, but I think it was 4 ablations and 4 microsurgeries. Done!

Anyone considering this for medical reasons - not fun but hardly the worst thing. But well worth it. I had veins bad enough some were ulcerated and bled. Good relief from that, pain, itching, swelling
I'm sorry, I accidentally posted something non-pertinent in your thread. I have deleted it. I meant to wish you a speedy recovery to good health, and the best of success with your final procedure. I am embarrassed and remorseful as it must have appeared I was trying to hijack your thread. And that certainly wasn't my intent. I simply had too many tabs open at once and started a new thread in the wrong box.

Again, I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 07-28-17, 05:13 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I'm sorry, I accidentally posted something non-pertinent in your thread. I have deleted it. I meant to wish you a speedy recovery to good health, and the best of success with your final procedure. I am embarrassed and remorseful as it must have appeared I was trying to hijack your thread. And that certainly wasn't my intent. I simply had too many tabs open at once and started a new thread in the wrong box.

Again, I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
De nada ... actually I thought it was a tangential, but interesting, question. The vascular system is (sort of) the equivalent of the cables - ok, well, no, the cables on a bike are the nerves that transmit messages from brain to the far ends of the beast.

Besides, without my semi-gory original photo of a purple, swollen back of my calf covered with little X-shaped incisions every inch, this is boring... the mods thought it too gory so zapped it. They really wouldn't like the photos I took of my bleed-out a few years ago.

Thanks for the good thoughts. It's better today than it was. I have an office job - moving it is the best thing for it, glad it's the weekend. I'm going to try to do 25-30 miles in the morning to losen it up.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 07-28-17 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 07:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Besides, without my semi-gory original photo of a purple, swollen back of my calf covered with little X-shaped incisions every inch, this is boring...
No, not boring. The older I get, the more I relate to age-related illness and other conditions. After all, I do hang out in the "Fifty Plus Medical Issues" forum. Anyway, if you can joke about it as you have, that's good.
Old 07-29-17, 03:44 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Man, that just seems to be cringe worthy as I read your description of the procedure. Hopefully this will let the leg circulation return to normal. How in the world did you manage to ride with those conditions and the pain? Let me know how you are getting on.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-29-17, 07:37 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts

Do you have any pics that you can share, as someone with bad varicose veins, I am curious to see what your veins look like.
Old 07-29-17, 08:57 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Do you have any pics that you can share, as someone with bad varicose veins, I am curious to see what your veins look like.
Sure, but I will have to PM them - mods said photo was too graphic. I don't have a before/after unfortunately, but can send photos of post-surgical status - a lot of bruising, a little bleeding pretty swollen etc.

As long as you aren't bothered by slightly gory images. Let me know if you wsnt to see that.
Old 07-29-17, 09:51 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Sure, but I will have to PM them - mods said photo was too graphic. I don't have a before/after unfortunately, but can send photos of post-surgical status - a lot of bruising, a little bleeding pretty swollen etc.

As long as you aren't bothered by slightly gory images. Let me know if you wsnt to see that.
Heh, the more gore, the better.
Old 07-30-17, 06:38 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
...Additional evidence that aging is not for the faint of heart.
True.
Old 07-30-17, 12:13 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Heh, the more gore, the better.
Good, I have a couple of good ones. I'm really time-pressed today, tonight later I'll upload some to photobucket and provide a link. You will like my surgical bleed-out photos. I should have taken photos of my ulcerative bleed out didn't. I document medical stuff because I have an RN, a clinical microbiologist and a physical therapist in the immediate family.

In the interim, this medline article.

Venous Insufficiency: Background, Anatomy, Pathophysiology

About 75% of the way down the page is a " before and after" that is about what I experienced. I had a nasty cluster on my left knee like that guy's. I still have the brown stain from stasis dermatitis. Prior to the treatments, I had lost all of the hair below my knee - it grew back on the front of my legs from knee to ankle, albeit sparse compared to my teens/20s when it was pretty thick.

My life intent in posting this thread wasn't sympathy, it's a medical PSA. I've seen some guys at my gym with really severe stasis dermatisis and edema, tried to convince a couple to check it out but seemed too squeamish
Old 07-30-17, 08:20 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, sorry but make that tomorrow on the photos to photobucket. Mr. Genius here still doesn't have the hang of something as simple as using a photo hosting site. For a guy with a net 10 years of college, I'm dumber than a box of rocks with some of this stuff. It's a miracle I can ride a bike and use Map My Ride at the same time. Must be bad blood.