Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sweat!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 04:07 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Sweat!

The value of it?

Even on a hot day road riding, you'll not soak your top whilst doin' it even if you're a few hours in the saddle. Except if the traffic lights keep you waiting . . .probably the wind generated helps to dry things as you're eating up the . . kilometres.
In the gym, a 30 or 45 minute course can leave you soaked despite air conditioning. It's high intensity, interspaced with short rest periods. My hr reaches 130 max, but I'm drenched when through.
I love it despite the obvious discomfort and feel much benefit as a result.
But sweating so much? Waddya think, guys?
Old 08-04-17, 04:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
What is the question here?
Old 08-04-17, 05:08 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Where I live, it's unusual to finish a ride with one's jersey NOT wringing wet during the warmer half of the year. I sweat far less in an air-conditioned gym.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-04-17, 06:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
One last thought before I go get sweaty this morning...

Old 08-04-17, 07:35 AM
LongT

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweating

I can go a little over 1 mile outside and be pretty wet from sweat, it is humid here! After 17 miles I wring out my gloves and so much water comes out it looks like they had been soaked in water. When I raced on the velodrome I would come off the track,and hardly be able to see due to sweat in my eyes. Other riders in the same race would only be damp. Everyone is different! Probably too much information!
Old 08-04-17, 07:53 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure of the OP's question but pretty much on the East coast of the US and the SE in particular, humidity levels are such that you're not ending a ride with a dry or even damp jersey. At least not in the summer. 10 miles or 40, no different, I finish with a soaked jersey, my shorts feel like I'm wearing a soaked diaper, gloves and helmet soaked, things in my jersey pockets are wet, even the top tube on my bike has salt drops from sweat dripping from my chin. There have been times I've sweated so much my nipples get raw from the salt. (Okay, I know you didn't need to hear that.)
Anyway, except for the rare cooler day, or spring, winter, fall when humidity is a little lower, there is little evaporation apparent on my gear from the wind generated by riding.
Old 08-04-17, 08:13 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
OP, you asked the value of sweat. Technically speaking, the value of sweat is probably the price at which a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under compulsion, would make a sale transaction. Unfortunately, I don't know any place to sell sweat. If you find a place, let me know. I've got plenty and, even at a very low price, I think I could turn a pretty good profit.
Old 08-04-17, 10:02 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
But sweating so much? Waddya think, guys?
There are a couple of factors here.

1. How much do you actually sweat.
- How hard you're working
- What temperature you're working in.
- What you're wearing
- How much you're drinking
2. How much of that sweat evaporates.
- Environmental temperature and relative humidity
- Wind or fan speed
- What you're wearing

I used to get a big kick out of gym exersizing and being drenched with sweat; always checked around me to see if anyone noticed... usually not.
Old 08-04-17, 10:07 AM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I literally sweat like a horse when I'm on the treadmill, even with the AC going. I'm talking absolutely wringing wet, like someone has doused me with a bucket of water. It's gross, but I kinda like it - I feel like it gets all the toxins out of me (although science says that's complete bunk). I do know if I skip exercise in the AM my body feels sorta clammy and nasty the whole day, so it must be doing something. I wish sweating directly equated to fat loss though, I'd be super skinny!

On the bike, I guess because of the breeze cycling creates, I'll sweat some in the same amount of time but not to the point of being drenched.
Old 08-04-17, 10:08 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Where I live, it's unusual to finish a ride with one's jersey NOT wringing wet during the warmer half of the year. I sweat far less in an air-conditioned gym.
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Yeah I'm not sure of the OP's question but pretty much on the East coast of the US and the SE in particular, humidity levels are such that you're not ending a ride with a dry or even damp jersey.
I'm in Georgia and was struck by the intensity of the sun when I moved south from Long Island. Perspiration pours off constantly and ten minutes in the sun one is dripping. .

Never wore a hat when doing yard work up north but I do down here.

A slightly change latitude makes a big difference and the OP is in Lancaster, presumably PA.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-04-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 10:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Used to be, I didn't sweat enough. It was hard to work up a good sweat, no matter how much effort I put into it. And I also had a lot more problems with cramps and feeling exhausted later rather than invigorated.

Finally occurred to me I might be deficient in electrolytes. I rarely used salt in food and avoided salty foods. I didn't take vitamins or supplements. I didn't like the taste of Gatorade or Powerade.

So I started eating the same thing before every ride to see if it helped consistently: yogurt with cereal and a banana. Sure enough, I felt more energetic and maybe sweated a little more.

But after experiencing painful stomach and leg cramps during a ride in early June when the temp was only in the 70s, I tried some of the electrolyte supplements other cyclists recommended, especially NUUN. Then I switched to DripDrop because it's more cost effective -- more concentrated per dollar -- and comes in small sealed single serving Mylar packets that are waterproof and tuck inside any little niche in my saddlebag.

I started sweating buckets. And everything was covered in a frosty white residue, which had never happened to me before. But I felt better during and after the rides.

The downside is I have to clean stuff more often. I used to be able to go a week or two between cleaning my gloves. My hands just didn't sweat much. Same with my shoes -- I could get by for a month without wiping down the exterior. Not now. And because salty residue is hygroscopic I have to dry everything thoroughly before tossing it into the laundry hamper, otherwise it'll mildew. So I keep a fan next to the drying rack and mesh laundry basket. I wipe down my helmet straps and inside after every ride, but I also need to soak the straps in a bucket of water once a week to get out the residue.

Frankly, it's pretty gross. But I feel better so maybe I was doing it all wrong for years by omitting most salt from my diet and not taking any electrolyte supplements.

But I'm afraid if I stop too long to rest on my rural rides I'll be swarmed by horses and deer wanting to lick me for the salt.

Old 08-04-17, 01:59 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
During the Winter months when I'm on a stationary bike or treadmill at home, I have cooling fans (not the puny fans in the equipments but floor units) blowing air at me to keep me 'dry'.
Old 08-04-17, 02:12 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
The only time I mind the sweat is when it's dripping down into my eyes.

Old 08-04-17, 02:52 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Better make this clear, guys. Lancaster UK is a bit cooler than the "other" one. And once the temp gets up to 70 the top comes off anyway (might be the only opportunity this year!), although we have had some stifling days in Augusts past. . . . . .not yet though.
As for the sweat, well, I've noticed since writing this, that cotton tops show sweat readily wheras the wicking stuff being man made, tends not to. It's no less comfortable however.
I tend to drink no water during the 45 minute session, although on occasions I have.

I've never been aware of sweat like this, but then I've never been pushed so hard over that short time. Never, in my life. It's addictive.

I'm kinda wondering if short sharp bursts are the way ahead for older guys, you know. Four or five times a week doing this and I'll markedly lower the odds of getting knocked off my bike anyway since serious road rides will be seriously curtailed. . .and I feel a lot better/livelier too. Just a few thoughts.

I might be in the wrong place to exercise them . .
Old 08-04-17, 02:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've learned to live with it but I wish I didn't sweat as much as I do
Old 08-04-17, 04:02 PM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I've learned to live with it but I wish I didn't sweat as much as I do
I think all who sweat profusely feel the same way. I'm OK with it while exercising vigorously, but not so much while I'm simply doing busy work (particularly in a public setting).
Old 08-04-17, 04:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Better make this clear, guys. Lancaster UK is a bit cooler than the "other" one.

This explains a lot.

I'm in Georgia, USA. Other posters are in Louisiana on the Gulf Coast and in North Carolina.
Old 08-04-17, 05:43 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Wanna sweat? Ride in Tucson during monsoon season.

I went out last Sunday at 6am for a two hr ride...When I started out it was 79 degrees at 91% humidity.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 08-04-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 06:09 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat

I went out last Sunday at 6am for a two hr ride...When I started out it was 79 degrees at 91% humidity.
Hey, that's supposed to be "dry heat" out there! Arizona and 91% humidity? Who knew?
Old 08-04-17, 09:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
We've had freak summer thunderstorms, getting us +90º and +70% humidity. It's horrible. I don't think the sweating is any worse, it just doesn't evaporate, so by the time a 2-hour ride is over, I feel gross... and sticky. Usually this time of year we're in single-digit humidity. I'll drink four bottles in 2 hours, sweat out 10lbs of water, and the jersey will be mostly dry when getting home.
Old 08-04-17, 09:33 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had a contract in Guam a few years ago. I would get up at 5:00 in the morning to run before the sun came out, but it was still 77 degrees (yes, pretty much the same temperature every day) with humidity in the 90's. My shoes would be so wet when I got back to the hotel they would squish with every step.
Old 08-04-17, 11:06 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It just doesn't feel like a good workout unless I work up a good sweat. Of course here in the Mid-South during Summer that is not difficult to achieve with this heat and humidity.
Old 08-05-17, 06:10 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat

Where I live that's called "nice riding weather".

I'll be in your neck of the woods in November for a week of riding, including El Tour. It'll be my third trip in less than three years.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-05-17, 06:52 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
One water bottle has sea salt in water. The other has fruit juice in water, so I don't worry about sweat. I am more concerned with sun exposure.
Old 08-05-17, 07:41 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

If you dont sweat you are not working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.