Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cataract lenses questions!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 07:29 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Today after my eye exam it was decided to go for cataract surgery in January. Been planning it so no a problem.
But now I need to Wade through the options of the different types of lenses.
Would appreciate hearing from those who have gone down this path.
Thanks!!
Old 09-25-17, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Today after my eye exam it was decided to go for cataract surgery in January. Been planning it so no a problem.
But now I need to Wade through the options of the different types of lenses.
Would appreciate hearing from those who have gone down this path.
Thanks!!
My experiences are several years old now (one eye done in 2012 and the other done in 2014) so there may be newer info available since then which others can share. There are two types of lenses, one to correct an aspherical issue and another (toric) for correcting an astigmatism issue. I required the toric lenses. Toric are more costly and under Medicare (if you're there yet) you will be required to pay the difference in cost between the "standard" and toric (approximately $1,400 per lense).
You may also be asked if you want to be corrected for good distant vision or for close-up vision. I chose to have distant vision correction and have to wear a pair of drug store 2.5X glasses (for reading and some computer work) some of the time depending on available light and/or print size.
Regardless of the type lense, the procedure is the same and is nothing to get excited about. If you're still working you may miss a day for the procedure and part of a second day for the first post-op visit. I don't know how long you refrain from biking as I wasn't riding at the time. Good luck to you TandenTom.
JB
Old 09-25-17, 09:04 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Little more information would help here. Age? Do you wear glasses and what is the power(+ or -). How much astigmatism?

My story I was a high myopia(-12 both eyes), so the advice from my doctor was to use a standard lens in both eyes and correct for far vision in both. I had been a mono vision person for 20+ years using contacts. So, this was an option for the cataract surgery(one eye corrected for far and one for reading). The reason the doctor was against mono vision is that I had a higher change of a retinal detachment following the surgery. So, if one eye had problems then I would be stuck with far or close. With both eyes corrected for far if one eye went then the other eye would be left for far. I also chose to have this done using a laser which also attempted to correct the astigmatism in my left eye(makes slits on your cornea). Had to pay extra for this. Also, the lens used was an Alcon lens that filters blue light. This is supposed to help delay retinal problems in the future.

My outcome was not the best however. I ended up with edge glare to start(positive dysphotopsias). I ended up getting a set of progressive glasses and the frame of the glasses block most of the edge glare. If I am not wearing glasses and walk past a bright light or window, I get flashes as if reflects off the edges of the lens. When outside however I do not have this problem, only inside with bright light sources.

Both eyes were corrected to 20/20. My left eye only had half the astigmatism corrected. So, to see perfect far I do need glasses, to correct the astigmatism. All my life I could not see far but I had the great ability to see close. This left me with the ability to work on very detailed mechanical projects(clocks, watches etc.) Now with the new lens I need a +5 power lens to see what I used to for detailed work. I miss this ability the most.

About at 2 months after each eye I had posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). This caused floaters to appear in my vision. And my left eye had a retinal tear from the PVD that they lasered back in place. PVD lasts for about 45 days after the first event(flashes around the peripheral of the eye) and then it is complete. But I was left with the floaters that are annoying. It has been a year since the PVD and not much has changed in terms of floaters.

Finally, they did not tell me about
posterior capsule opacification. Which is the clouding of the part of the lens covering (capsule) that remains after surgery. There is a procedure to open a hole in the capsule using a laser. I know I am getting this because at night, bright lights have a glare to them again. I am holding off on doing this procedure until I have more day vision cloudiness.

So, in a nutshell, everyone said it would be a god send for me not to have to thick coke bottle glasses anymore. Yes I do not need glasses for far, but in reality I need glasses to read or use a computer. So, I just traded far for near. Also before my cataracts I never really needed sunglasses, because I had dark eyes. Looking back this is probably a reason I developed cataracts. But now I do need sunglasses for driving or outside work. So, I have progressive glasses for most every day work inside. I use sunglasses with bifocals for biking and outside(cheapo safety glasses with bifocals). And +1.5 power cheapo reading glasses for computer work.

I assume you are looking at these types of lenses:

Choosing a Cataract Lens |

My advice is take the conservative route.
Old 09-26-17, 08:11 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I had that done six years ago and have been completely satisfied. That procedure is well established. My only recommendation is you have the operation at a specialty facility dedicated to that type of surgery and performs it numerous time daily. I was so well impressed by the staff at the specialty hospital where the operation took place I mentioned my high regard for their professionalism to the surgeon at a follow up exam some days later.
Old 09-26-17, 01:26 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I had cataract surgery in July and Sept 2012 when I was 67. The doc recommended lenses that would allow me to read without glasses. So I need glasses for distance. I wear progressive lenses for every day and have a slightly different prescription for sunglasses for driving. No problems at all. I wear only regular non-prescription sunglasses when riding.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-27-17, 02:20 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I had the right eye done 4 years ago and the left eye done 4 weeks ago. Both surgeries were a piece of cake and now I can see 20/20 for distance but need reading glasses, especially for small print. I was so happy when they did the right eye that I wanted them to do the left as well. Unfortunately, he wouldn't do it until the left eye actually needed it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-27-17, 04:55 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

OP here.
So my thought today is. Have lenses that allow me to see distance without glasses. And read with "cheates". I would want to wear glasses with "clear" no prescription lenses because I have always worn glasses and would feel unprotected without them.
Thoughts??
Old 09-27-17, 05:17 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I've had one eye done and will have the left done in early 2018. I have a pretty severe astigmatism. Had the generic lens, for distance, implanted and dealt with the astigmatism with glasses. I've worn them forever, no big deal for me. The only problem I encountered that over time, my right eye vision became a bit fuzzy and contrast was reduced. After describing this to my ophthalmologist, he knew what was going on.

When they insert the artificial lens, a membrane is left in place to keep the lens from falling into to eye. Most patients never know this because they never experience problem afterward. A small percentage do.. lucky me. Five minutes with a laser obliterated the membrane, no longer needed by the way. My problem was resolved almost instantly, by the the time I had walked to my car.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 09-27-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 06:37 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
OP here.
So my thought today is. Have lenses that allow me to see distance without glasses. And read with "cheates". I would want to wear glasses with "clear" no prescription lenses because I have always worn glasses and would feel unprotected without them.
Thoughts??
That's about what I did. I opted for distance and need glasses to read. But since I might be looking near or far at almost any time and I always wore glasses anyhow, I got prescription lenses, clear distance and 3x close.

No regrets, though I see RonH did the opposite and is just as satisfied. So I suspect you will be OK either way if you go with your gut.
Old 09-28-17, 09:02 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One option is a combination of surgery and multifocal lenses. This means more initial cost bur no need for any glasses.

I had a radial keratotomy and a multifocal lense implanted one Monday and same on the other eye the following Monday.
At the time I selected ReStore multifocal lenses. ReStore was the highest quality at the time. There may be better now.

I've used the lenses for a few years now. I am fully satisfied and whoeheatedly recommend them.

Higher up front cost, but no follow on glasses cost. Need for additional light is about the same as single vision. Halos and such are no more than single vision.

Multifocal lenses are not put in by many eye docs. Mine were done by a highly skilled othamologist.
Old 09-29-17, 05:10 AM
tclune

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OP here.
Thoughts??
That's more or less what I did. However, I have a retirement job as a credit union teller, and I ended up getting no-line bifocals for work because the cheaters are good for up-close, but you need to take them off when looking further away. When waiting on members, I am constantly switching between reading distance on the computer screen and too-far when looking at the member. So basically a clear long-distance top part and a prescription reading part allow me to interact at both distances naturally.
BTW, the most interesting part of the surgery to me was when I had one eye done. When I closed the "done" eye, it looked like I was viewing the world through brown sludge. When I switched eyes, colors were vibrant and I was able to easily tell the difference between my blue and my green shirts. Good luck!
Old 09-29-17, 03:34 PM
Tandem Tom

I know tat the mutifocal is more $ but my thought is if I don't need to buy prescription glasses any longer that cost would offset the upcharge.
Old 10-08-17, 06:36 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
OP here.
Thoughts??
That's what I have. Distance vision and cheaters for reading. Works well for cycling. I can wear regular sunglasses or clear safety glasses on cloudy days.

For ultra-small print or working with small items, I bought a pair of REALLY POWERFUL cheaters.
Old 10-09-17, 06:54 AM
Tandem Tom

So a follow-up question. Do you find it cumbersome to have to use glasses to read? I mean do you have to "whip out" the cheaters just to read a label of something else really quick?
I like the idea of just regular cycling glasses but since we tour and I need to look at the map would. I have to get the cheaters out?
Old 10-09-17, 08:31 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Just had 2 lens replacements due to onset of cataracts, and minus 23 vision which had exhausted the opticians' ability to correct effectively. The opticians were well glad to see the back o' me . . . .but they had done their best, and their recommendation was welcomed.
Standard lens; the guy reckoned I'd be better off with one eye distant vision (he got it to plus 1) and the other for general domestic convenience excluding reading. This is about minus 0.5.
Excellent results; my driving has improved by 20mph. I use cheap welding goggles to ride the bike which are very good. that has also improved by several mph . . . .
I have no objection to reading glases. I can read music for the first time in ages, and several pairs of identically framed, but different power readers can be configured to each eye for best effect. One pair usually suffices.
Old 10-10-17, 06:29 AM
tclune

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So a follow-up question. Do you find it cumbersome to have to use glasses to read? I mean do you have to "whip out" the cheaters just to read a label of something else really quick?
I like the idea of just regular cycling glasses but since we tour and I need to look at the map would. I have to get the cheaters out?
Yup, pretty much. One thing that the eye doctor tends to downplay, but is worth being aware of: many people don't end up with fully-corrected vision after the surgery. It is common to need glasses after surgery because the lenses didn't end up in just the right place. After the second surgery, you need to wait a month or so to see what your vision will be -- the healing process will change your vision somewhat, and it isn't possible to predict precisely by how much. As with any surgery, there is a small percentage of people who end up worse off one way or another than they were before. I don't want to frighten you, but it is good to have a reasonable understanding before the operation of the reality of the surgery. And unfortunately, the person making his car payments off the operation is not always the best source of information on risks and downsides.