Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When new SRAM Force/Red groupsets are expected?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When new SRAM Force/Red groupsets are expected?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 08:28 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Was that on the same bike? Asking because I don’t have any front shift issues with the first gen chainset. Been faultless for 2 years now. Not saying that the new one isn’t an improvement, but mine shifts as well or better than any of my previous setups (mainly Shimano Ultegra or 105). But I only ever shift the front rings off load at a reasonable cadence. So that might mask any potential weakness.
I‘ve been using force chainrings without issue as well.
Old 03-02-24, 10:07 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I have used Specialties TA rings that behaved like the reports on SRAM rings. I tried at great length to get them to shift well, but the shift to the big ring was slow and noisy and would always toss the chain off the big ring, if shifted from the smaller half of the cassette. I tried them with rival and force FDs with the same result. Switched back to GRX rings and perfect shifting was restored. I just switched 3 bikes to the new 12 speed cranks. They work great, too.
Despite the reports of front derailleur issues, the vast majority of SRAM users have no shifting problems. Your lack of shifting problems means you are most likely simply a member of the majority. It does not lead to the conclusion that SRAM cranks or chain rings are the source of shifting problems, especially since you have never actually experienced any problems using SRAM cranks or chain rings. Your claim has no more merit than if someone claimed the reported shifting problems are due to SRAM batteries, because they always used 3rd party batteries and never had any problems.
Old 03-02-24, 11:48 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
So the many people who spent hours trying to get decent shifting with Force rings are just poor mechanics and so are the shop mechanics who failed. That works for me. I can set one up in 10 minutes or less, unless I'm using crappy TA rings.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-02-24 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 12:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
So the many people who spent hours trying to get decent shifting with Force rungd are just poor mechanics and so are the shop mechanics who failed.
You've pitched that theory several times as well. But, the most likely scenario is that you are just one of many people that have not experienced shifting problems with SRAM. Any conclusions beyond that are unsupported.
Old 03-02-24, 02:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You've pitched that theory several times as well. But, the most likely scenario is that you are just one of many people that have not experienced shifting problems with SRAM. Any conclusions beyond that are unsupported.
That's possible too. I've suggested buying a new FD to see if it works differently, but I've never had anyone try it and report back. All three of my early model Force and Rival models work great.
Old 03-04-24, 10:47 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Was that on the same bike? Asking because I don’t have any front shift issues with the first gen chainset. Been faultless for 2 years now. Not saying that the new one isn’t an improvement, but mine shifts as well or better than any of my previous setups (mainly Shimano Ultegra or 105). But I only ever shift the front rings off load at a reasonable cadence. So that might mask any potential weakness.
Yeah, same exact bike. The D1 Force front derailleur would drop the chain once in a while. D2 does not. Not sure if it was an isolated issue with mine, improper setup, or something else. All I know is that the new crankset/chainset has been superb. I was about to give up on SRAM until I made this change. The front shifting is still a tiny bit slower than my new Ultegra di2 12-speed, but I prefer SRAM's shifting setup (ie, pressing the buttons on each shifter simultaneously to front shift). Plus, the D2 Force crankset just looks better to me....
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-12-24, 11:09 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yes a new Red is on the way. I am not privy to the embargo this time so I am free to talk out my butt as I have not seen anything internal nor signed anything but its been leaked in shots online many times before now. I think I know of at least one OEM that mentioned an embargo they were waiting on before they could talk about a new bike...it wasn't a gravel bike so that rules out the new GRX Di2 12.

Yes front shifting on SRAM really, really sucked but I have to say with the latest generation of flat top chain and rings (AXS 12) they really seemed to have finally figured out how to keep the chain from dropping so damn much. Now if they finally do the Mineral Oil swap in the brake system that they seem to be leaning towards I could actually get behind them.