Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 05:36 AM
andydallas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I ordered a M in the alum endurace, realized it was probable too big (my mistake), it was, you can make it work as long as it doesn't have the one piece cockpit by adjusting stems etc. I later bought a S in the CF 8 SL,,,it fits MUCH better (I am also in the edge of M and S, I prefer the S

Never deal with Canyon through "chat", the people on chat don't seem to know what they are doing, if you call and talk to someone they know what they are doing and are great to work with, its like the people in chat are the newest and least knowledgable
Likes For andydallas:
Old 07-12-23, 06:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
bad news: no exchanges despite being their fault. I have to wait for them to inspect the bike in California before issuing a refund. He doesn’t know when the small will be available again but he is checking on it and getting back to me. He will let me know when I can place an order.
If it were me, I would ask how he knows when hell will freeze over.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-12-23, 07:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I personally think that is poor cs being they know it is their fault. they should issue refund as soon as the return shipping label is scanned. I am glad you posted this as I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the endurance cf7 disc.
That would put me entirely off of Canyon.
Old 07-12-23, 09:57 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
bad news: no exchanges despite being their fault. I have to wait for them to inspect the bike in California before issuing a refund. He doesn’t know when the small will be available again but he is checking on it and getting back to me. He will let me know when I can place an order.
The end result will be the same -- you will return the bike you have and they will send the correct size to you. What difference does it make how they handle the accounting details?
Old 07-12-23, 10:04 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The end result will be the same -- you will return the bike you have and they will send the correct size to you. What difference does it make how they handle the accounting details?
what if a person decides not to buy from canyon again? Why should they keep my money 30 days for a bike I don’t have because of their screw up?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-12-23, 10:21 AM
tomato coupe

what if a person decides not to buy from canyon again? Why should they keep my money 30 days for a bike I don’t have because of their screw up?
They're not "keeping" your money. There is a charge on your credit card which will be cancelled out when they issue a credit for the return. And, they will almost certainly issue the credit within a day or two of receiving the bike, not 30 days.
Old 07-12-23, 10:41 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
They're not "keeping" your money. There is a charge on your credit card which will be cancelled out when they issue a credit for the return. And, they will almost certainly issue the credit within a day or two of receiving the bike, not 30 days.
well it says on their site up to 30 days and a charge on my cc is keeping my money until it is credited. Hopefully they treat the op right.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-12-23, 11:03 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by andydallas
I ordered a M in the alum endurace, realized it was probable too big (my mistake), it was, you can make it work as long as it doesn't have the one piece cockpit by adjusting stems etc. I later bought a S in the CF 8 SL,,,it fits MUCH better (I am also in the edge of M and S, I prefer the S

Never deal with Canyon through "chat", the people on chat don't seem to know what they are doing, if you call and talk to someone they know what they are doing and are great to work with, its like the people in chat are the newest and least knowledgable
I appreciate your input. It reaffirms that returning and getting the right size is the better option.

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If it were me, I would ask how he knows when hell will freeze over.
Yikes! That bad. I just recently started looking at Canyon so I don’t know what the typical wait times are.

It just delays the process. It will take 3-5 days after the refund is issued to go back to the account. So even if they had the bike in stock I would be looking at having to wait 2-3 weeks before placing another order. All for their mistake. Or I can pay for the bike twice and wait for the refund. I was working on a budget of $3k so the idea of having $6k out of that account is slightly off putting. Especially when it was their wrongdoing. Not the end of the world but it sucks.
Old 07-12-23, 12:06 PM
tomato coupe

It just delays the process. It will take 3-5 days after the refund is issued to go back to the account. So even if they had the bike in stock I would be looking at having to wait 2-3 weeks before placing another order. All for their mistake. Or I can pay for the bike twice and wait for the refund. I was working on a budget of $3k so the idea of having $6k out of that account is slightly off putting. Especially when it was their wrongdoing. Not the end of the world but it sucks.
Why would you have to wait 2-3 weeks to re-order the new bike, if it was in stock? You could order it today.
Old 07-12-23, 12:14 PM
tomato coupe

well it says on their site up to 30 days and a charge on my cc is keeping my money until it is credited. Hopefully they treat the op right.
30 days is just standard "boilerplate." And, as of now, the charge is just an entry on a computer. Canyon does not have the money, the credit card does not have the money.
Old 07-12-23, 12:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Why would you have to wait 2-3 weeks to re-order the new bike, if it was in stock? You could order it today.
OP has mentioned that the size he initially ordered is not in stock.

30 days is just standard "boilerplate." And, as of now, the charge is just an entry on a computer. Canyon does not have the money, the credit card does not have the money.
If the credit card charge by Canyon is not reversed prior to the payment due date, then it would be (at least a little) unfair for the OP, who has to (at least partially) pay for the charge, which ties up his/her cash and/or credit, in addition to the possibility of incurring interest, especially if the OP has already sent back the wrong bike, even if the original charge will be reversed at some point in the future.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-12-23, 12:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just return it and see when a size S will be back in stock. If it's a reasonable time, wait.
Companies aren't perfect because people make mistakes from time to time.
Once a bank (or, more accurately, its ATM) made a mistake in my favor. But a more realistic (cynical) interpretation is that they sold something they didn't have, so they did a substitution with the hope that the buyer wouldn't care, or wouldn't make a fuss out of it.
Old 07-12-23, 12:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

bad news: no exchanges despite being their fault. I have to wait for them to inspect the bike in California before issuing a refund. He doesn’t know when the small will be available again but he is checking on it and getting back to me.
Put the CA Attorney General Consumer Fraud division on speed-dial.

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-12-23, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
OP has mentioned that the size he initially ordered is not in stock.
Yes, I know ...

So even if they had the bike in stock I would be looking at having to wait 2-3 weeks before placing another order.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If the credit card charge by Canyon is not reversed prior to the payment due date, then it would be (at least a little) unfair for the OP, who has to (at least partially) pay for the charge, which ties up his/her cash and/or credit, in addition to the possibility of incurring interest, especially if the OP has already sent back the wrong bike, even if the original charge will be reversed at some point in the future.
In the unlikely scenario that the billing cycle has ended and the due date approaches, the OP can call his credit card company and explain the situation. They can fix it for him.
Old 07-12-23, 12:41 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
... a more realistic (cynical) interpretation is that they sold something they didn't have, so they did a substitution with the hope that the buyer wouldn't care, or wouldn't make a fuss out of it.
That's a more realistic scenario than a simple error in the shipping department? Man, you live in a grim, grey world.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-12-23, 12:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

That's a more realistic scenario than a simple error in the shipping department? Man, you live in a grim, grey world.

Old 07-12-23, 01:10 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
They need to make it right. Their sizes run crazy, and in the wrong direction. I take a "medium" or 54.5 in normal bike sizing; Canyon says I need a small. If you have long legs it might work, but you pay a lot for something like this, so it needs to fit perfectly. If they are sold out, they should give you what is in stock in your size at a superior trim level.

Taking it to the LBS might not go over too well. At the very least, expect some snark unless they are very very polite and professional. (One of the primary reasons to buy at a LBS is so you leave with what fits, and what you ordered.)
This 110%. First and foremost, don't start off with a bike the wrong size. You'll regret it for years, or til you get rid of it. Second, while you can make a too-small frame work, a too-large frame will always be a problem.

Finally, though, it's pretty insulting to go to the LBS and ask them to fix a problem you wouldn't have had if you just bought your bike from them in the first place. If they're a good shop, they'll do the work, but I wouldn't expect any breaks on price.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-12-23, 01:12 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
. I am not even sure I want to continue my business with Canyon after the mixup. I will be heading to the local lbs’ store see what is out there.
File this under "the number one reason why buying from your LBS is a great idea."

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-12-23, 01:14 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Once a bank (or, more accurately, its ATM) made a mistake in my favor. But a more realistic (cynical) interpretation is that they sold something they didn't have, so they did a substitution with the hope that the buyer wouldn't care, or wouldn't make a fuss out of it.
OP said the label on the box indicated the bike was a small. This seems like a genuine mixup. If Canyon was doing this en masse, not by accident on a few orders, I’m sure the internet would know about it and Canyon would be apologizing on all of its umpteen social media outlets.
Old 07-12-23, 01:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
OP said the label on the box indicated the bike was a small. This seems like a genuine mixup. If Canyon was doing this en masse, not by accident on a few orders, I’m sure the internet would know about it and Canyon would be apologizing on all of its umpteen social media outlets.
Not only are they not apologizing, they are treating it as a routine return/refund request, with the implication they can deny it if they find a scratch on the frame.

That isn't how one deals with an honest mistake.

It isn't even consistent from how they treated me (well) with a recall of a frame component several years ago.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 07-12-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 02:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Not only are they not apologizing, they are treating it as a routine return/refund request, with the implication they can deny it if they find a scratch on the frame.

That isn't how one deals with an honest mistake.

It isn't even consistent from how they treated me (well) with a recall of a frame component several years ago.
The OP said Canyon were very apologetic on the call and said they would prioritise a replacement order in the correct size with free shipping and see what else they could do.

It’s unfortunate that the bike is currently out of stock, but what else would you expect? Your previous suggestion of a free spec upgrade would be very nice, but I wouldn’t demand it. It’s not like the bike was ordered months ago. Last time I bought a bike from my LBS it took them 3 months to order in the right size. So should I have demanded a free upgrade for the delay?

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-12-23 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 02:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The only thing I would expect is prioritized, expedited handling of the return. That isn't too much to ask for.

When we had a recall, Canyon sent us some free stuff, which I thought was a nice gesture, but I wouldn't have "expected" that.
Old 07-12-23, 03:00 PM
PeteHski

That’s absurd. Knowingly substituting a different frame size would almost inevitably end with the customer returning the bike. This is 99.99% a genuine mistake.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-12-23, 03:11 PM
PeteHski

The only thing I would expect is prioritized, expedited handling of the return. That isn't too much to ask for.

When we had a recall, Canyon sent us some free stuff, which I thought was a nice gesture, but I wouldn't have "expected" that.
I’m sure the OP will report back on how long the return actually takes. With it being a relatively bulky, fragile $3k item it is inevitably going to take a little time. Sometimes you just have to be patient when this kind of unfortunate thing happens. At least you save a load of cash buying direct and usually it goes smoothly.
Old 07-12-23, 03:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That’s absurd. Knowingly substituting a different frame size would almost inevitably end with the customer returning the bike. This is 99.99% a genuine mistake.
I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.