Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Acera v-brake adjustment screw replacements

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 03:21 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately due to stupidity of previous LBS', the adjustment screws on my Shimano Acera v-brakes (spring pre-load) are in pretty bad condition and need replacing. Does anyone know where I can order a set (4) of screws and springs?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-12, 03:27 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would try an Ace Hardware store.
Old 03-02-12, 03:30 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lawrence08648
I would try an Ace Hardware store.
None here in Greece!

Actually, I think the screws are slightly cone shaped so their not going to be easily found at hardware stores, and the brakes themselves are new so it's a shame to toss them over four small screws.
Old 03-02-12, 03:56 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When you say cone shaped, do you mean that the screws themselves are tapered? I would not throw them away. Can you post a picture of the screws?

If they are tapered fit/interference fit, you might be able to emulate that on a standard screw by slightly deforming the threads on a new replacement screw. That way the screw would gain some friction so it hopefully would not loosen.
Old 03-02-12, 04:20 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Shimano has never had bragging rights for parts availability. Even if you had a shop to order from you'd probably die waiting. First choice would be to check with bike shops for second hand parts. They may be able to recover something from the metal recycling bin.

Second choice is to replace the whole brake. You can buy them on-line for $10/brake but shipping to Greece may cost more than the brakes.
Old 03-02-12, 06:21 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found the Shimano Acera V-Brakes BR-422(front and rear set) for €15 which is around that much in dollars and will go ahead and order them, unless you have some alternative brakes to suggest which could also be an upgrade to my existing brakes.

Shimano Acera V-Brakes BR-422

Last edited by Telly; 03-02-12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 06:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Can you get Avid Single Digit 5 or Single Digit 7 brakes? I have the SD 7's on my Cross Check and they are very solid and have excellent responsiveness.
Old 03-02-12, 07:06 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Telly
I found the Shimano Acera V-Brakes BR-422(front and rear set) for €15 which is around that much in dollars and will go ahead and order them, unless you have some alternative brakes to suggest which could also be an upgrade to my existing brakes.
Shimino, Avid, Kool Stop and Tektro all make brakes and brake pads in a range of qualities. Brake pads can range from $5 to $45 and there is a difference in performance. Best bang for the buck is to upgrade just the brake pads to something in the $15 to $20 range and stick with the current brakes. If you can find some Shimano Deore or equivalent brakes on clearance for the combined price of your brakes plus a pad upgrade - then that would be even better.
Old 03-02-12, 11:21 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The same local shop that sells the above mentioned Acera brakes also sells a pair of Shimano Deore V-Brakes BR-590 for €25 which is also a reasonable price. Unfortunately I have to order Kool Stop brake pads from CRC or any other international distributor since I can't find them here in Greece.

Shimano Deore V-Brakes BR-590

Also found the Avid Single Digit 5 set (€16.75) and Single Digit 7 set (€52.64) at CRC plus around €6.00 shipping, although the Avid Single Digit 7 might be an overkill for a bike used mostly for commuting.

Avid Single Digit 5

Avid Single Digit 7

It's a shame that I can't find the adjustment screws for the current Shimano Acera brakes which are on the bike itself since they're only five months old, work exceptionally well and are in excellent condition (except for the screws which where tampered by a LBS which was stupid enough to use a larger philips screwdriver and pretty much ruin the heads).

Last edited by Telly; 03-02-12 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 12:34 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Telly
The same local shop that sells the above mentioned Acera brakes also sells a pair of Shimano Deore V-Brakes BR-590 for €25 which is also a reasonable price. Unfortunately I have to order Kool Stop brake pads from CRC or any other international distributor since I can't find them here in Greece.

Shimano Deore V-Brakes BR-590

Also found the Avid Single Digit 5 set (€16.75) and Single Digit 7 set (€52.64) at CRC plus around €6.00 shipping, although the Avid Single Digit 7 might be an overkill for a bike used mostly for commuting.

Avid Single Digit 5

Avid Single Digit 7

It's a shame that I can't find the adjustment screws for the current Shimano Acera brakes which are on the bike itself since they're only five months old, work exceptionally well and are in excellent condition (except for the screws which where tampered by a LBS which was stupid enough to use a larger philips screwdriver and pretty much ruin the heads).
The pads on the Deore are already an upgrade - at least they were when I bought a set last year. I'd suggest tryong them first.
Old 03-03-12, 12:36 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Won't a 4MM screw work?

https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830646633.pdf