Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What metals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 01:29 AM
icor1031

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What metals?

I have a Schwinn Crisscross, like this: https://www.bikehounds.ca/wp-content/...3482-Large.jpg

via google, I found out that the frame is probably aluminum. But, what are the seat post and stem made out of?

I ask, because my bike is rusting and it needs some work. I'm trying to decide between bluing/blacking, auto painting, or electroplating (if I can make electroplating affordable!) in various areas.
But, I need to know what kinds of metals they are to make those decisions.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by icor1031; 07-28-13 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 01:35 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Aluminum doesn't rust, but steel will if precautions aren't made.

Googled up a manual on the bike for ya- https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/MODELS/Crisscross.html
Old 07-28-13, 01:38 AM
icor1031

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, Corrosion on the aluminum. Thanks for correcting me.

The manual says that my bike has an aluminum frame, and it was nice to have that verified.

I'm still looking for into on the stem and seat post.

Originally Posted by no1mad
Aluminum doesn't rust, but steel will if precautions aren't made.

Googled up a manual on the bike for ya- https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/MODELS/Crisscross.html

Last edited by icor1031; 07-28-13 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 05:07 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If a magnet sticks to the stem and seat post, then they're steel.

If a magnet doesn't stick, it's aluminum.
Old 07-28-13, 10:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by icor1031
I have a Schwinn Crisscross, like this: https://www.bikehounds.ca/wp-content/...3482-Large.jpg

via google, I found out that the frame is probably aluminum. But, what are the seat post and stem made out of?

I ask, because my bike is rusting and it needs some work. I'm trying to decide between bluing/blacking, auto painting, or electroplating (if I can make electroplating affordable!) in various areas.
But, I need to know what kinds of metals they are to make those decisions.

Thanks for your help!
If your bike is like the one in the link, it's not aluminum. The bike you pictured has a lugged frame. Aluminum is rarely used in lugged frames and certainly not in low end frames made by Schwinn. Further, corrosion of aluminum doesn't look like "rust". It's not red but white.

The parts on the frame...seatpost, stem, crank, hubs, rims, etc...are mostly aluminum. You really shouldn't have to worry too much about those. Aluminum is a reactive metal but it oxidizes almost instantly and forms a protective layer that is much tougher than the aluminum.

You can find all kinds of information on protecting frames on the Internet. Surly provides this. There's lots more out there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-28-13, 10:31 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
If it's EXACTLY like pic in OP, then it has a steel frame, an aluminum seatpost and steel stem.

I wouldn't go nuts with paint or plating on that bike, just wash and wax. I spritz WD40 in bolt heads on occasion to keep them from rusting. Clean and grease the inside of the seattube and the seatpost, same with steerer/stem. I get a lot of old bikes with rusted bars and stems come into my work and frequently remove grips/shifters/brake levers, separate bar and stem, quick sand, wipe with alcohol and hit them with flat black primer and that improves the looks of the cockpit fairly easily.

I'll sometimes do that with thrashed black seatposts, also. Sometimes WD40 and 0000 steel wool on seatposts and bars if they're chromed.

Pic of actual bike and I could tell you what I'd do with it to spruce it up.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-28-13 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added frame material of pic in OP
Old 07-28-13, 10:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Since it's enough of a concern for you to have asked, I'd try the magnet test on the main frame tubes too. Then you'll know for sure.

I'm going to disagree with cyccommute about lugged aluminum frames. There was a window of time in which aluminum frames were commonly produced, even at the low end, by bonding the tubes into metal lugs. My Raleigh Technium frame is one of those. Your Schwinn might be one too.
Old 07-28-13, 10:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I don't think Schwinn did much if any in the glued aluminum arena.

I think the CrissCross in the photo is a 1991 and they had DB CrMo main tubes and fork, with presumably HiTen stays.
Old 07-28-13, 05:41 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Since it's enough of a concern for you to have asked, I'd try the magnet test on the main frame tubes too. Then you'll know for sure.

I'm going to disagree with cyccommute about lugged aluminum frames. There was a window of time in which aluminum frames were commonly produced, even at the low end, by bonding the tubes into metal lugs. My Raleigh Technium frame is one of those. Your Schwinn might be one too.
The bonded frames usually consisted of a tube over a socket...look at the Raleigh Technium frame as the prime example...that was bonded in place. Steel lugs are tubes placed in the socket and brazed into place. If you fit an aluminum tube into the lug like a traditional steel frame, the lug would have to be huge to be strong enough. A steel lug has a wall that is about 1/8" thick. Aluminum, with a third of the strength of steel would have to be proportionally thicker leading to walls that are 3/8" to 1/4" thick. Even I would have to admitt that the lugs would be ugly...and I like the look of aluminum tubes. Even the glued aluminum frame lugs were less than pretty.

I also agree with LesterofPuppets. I don't recall ever seeing a glued aluminum Schwinn.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-28-13, 06:45 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
cyccommute doesn't like it when people disagree with him.
Old 07-28-13, 09:41 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
cyccommute doesn't like it when people disagree with him.
Classy. Don't address the issue, attack the person.

Did Schwinn ever make a bonded aluminum frame? The only bonded aluminum frames that I know of are the Raleigh Techninums that you referenced and Alan frames. If you look at the picture linked to by icor, it's pretty clear that the bike is a steel frame. no1mad linked to a catalog that clearly indicates the bike is steel. You made a mistake, got corrected, move on.

Old 07-29-13, 06:49 AM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icor1031

The manual says that my bike has an aluminum
frame, and it was nice to have that verified.

I'm still looking for into on the stem and seat post.
Hi,

The manual says the frame is chrome-moly, not aluminium.

Is is clearly a steel frame, steel stem, seatpost looks aluminium.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 07-29-13 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 07:15 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's absolutely a steel frame.
Old 07-29-13, 09:30 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a note, that not all steel will cause a magnet to adhere.

So the 'magnet test' is not conclusive--though it has good probability.

If the magnet sticks it is steel. If it doesn't then it probably (which is not the same as certainly) isn't.

Also try the 'test' in a couple of locations, since bikes repaired with bondo type substances will not have the magnet stick in repaired areas.
Old 07-29-13, 09:36 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The bonded frames usually consisted of a tube over a socket...look at the Raleigh Technium frame as the prime example...that was bonded in place. Steel lugs are tubes placed in the socket and brazed into place. If you fit an aluminum tube into the lug like a traditional steel frame, the lug would have to be huge to be strong enough. A steel lug has a wall that is about 1/8" thick. Aluminum, with a third of the strength of steel would have to be proportionally thicker leading to walls that are 3/8" to 1/4" thick. Even I would have to admitt that the lugs would be ugly...and I like the look of aluminum tubes. Even the glued aluminum frame lugs were less than pretty.

I also agree with LesterofPuppets. I don't recall ever seeing a glued aluminum Schwinn.
I thought the lugged aluminium bikes used traditional steel lugs with aluminium tubes? If so, the lugs wouldn't have to be any thicker than traditional steel tube lugs (and the lugs I have seen were much thinner than 1/8")