Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wife Won't Draft

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wife Won't Draft

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 09:25 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife Won't Draft

Note that I am not pushing her to draft...

My wife has built up to riding a 60 miler with me every week. But she gets pretty tired by the end, and I wouldn't mind riding a little faster.

I can't help but think that if she would draft behind me on our rides, it would even out our strength. When I say "Remind me again why you don't want to draft," she says, "I'm not convinced that it would make a difference and I'm worried about crashing."

I'm with her on the second point. So how far back can she be and still get a boost?

And remember, I am not pushing her to draft...
Old 07-31-13, 09:36 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Drafting benefits diminish with distance and speed. If you're going 25mph you can get a little benefit up to 7 bike lengths back. It wouldn't be much of a benefit though and wouldn't make a difference to you.

If you have zero wind or a direct headwind (both of which are rare) you'd still get some help a couple of bike lengths back but normally the wind is from the side and the following rider would need to move around to optimize their draft.

Have you considered a tandem? Perfect draft and you can both pedal as hard as you want.
Old 07-31-13, 09:40 AM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think that the crashing concern is only a serious issue if she's not paying attention. I rode 2 centuries 3 days apart with a couple of friends last summer (not to mention the 1.5 months of training rides so that we were all up to the challenge), and once we got our pace and everything down we were riding within inches of one another, switching off taking the lead periodically. Not a single crash due to drafting (though one of my pals wiped out on a gravelly corner) because we were all paying attention and warned one another if we needed to slow down suddenly.

As for drafting distance, can't give you anything quantitative. I imagine that depends on your velocity and body shape, both of which (I think) will affect how far behind you the low pressure zone ends.
Old 07-31-13, 09:45 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If there's just the two of you, she's going to lose a lot of the benefit once she's, say, three feet or more adrift. Plus if there are crosswinds she'd need to echelon in order to get some shelter.

Incidentally, drafting helps the cyclist in front, as well as the one in the rear. So if she's worrying about crashing, you could have her take the lead, sit tight in behind her, and she'll still save some energy compared with riding on her own. Reference: https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/aerodynamics2.html
Old 07-31-13, 11:11 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
One fine day, my wife and I are riding to church. I'm putting in some effort, going about 20 mph. I hear giggling and the sound of a freewheel free wheeling behind me. WTF is going on? She was getting a good draft and just soft pedaling along, inches from my wheel. Her only comment was 'I like this drafting stuff'.
Want to trade?

Anyway, have her try it at low speed, on a smooth, empty road. It can be pretty unnerving to have your front tire very close to another tire. Also make sure she understands why she should never, ever, never 'half wheel' you. And keep in mind that if she is struggling to keep up, back off the pace a bit. She will have to trust you that you won't make any sudden moves, and if the road gets rough, she may want to increase the space between you and her. It's something you will both have to practice at doing to do it safely.
Old 07-31-13, 11:17 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Tandem: Wind resistance of one, power of two, no chance of the stoker crashing.
Old 07-31-13, 11:20 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
...no chance of the stoker crashing.
I politely disagree - I'd say the chances of the stoker crashing are about the same as the chances of the captain crashing.
Old 07-31-13, 11:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Tandem: Wind resistance of one, power of two, no chance of the stoker crashing.
Whichever direction your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there quicker.
Old 07-31-13, 04:54 PM
mkane77g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drafting for recreational cyclists is dangerous.
Old 07-31-13, 05:00 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
I politely disagree - I'd say the chances of the stoker crashing are about the same as the chances of the captain crashing.
Front wheel contact causes more fuss than rear wheel.

Going back to the question, I'd say that the perfect distance for your wife is exactly what she chooses. One day she may happen to catch a good draft and change her opinion. That will, again, be correct.
Old 07-31-13, 05:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
One thing to consider is that, yes, drafting can reduce the physical effort, but the concentration required to adjust speed and avoid wheel overlap can be quite stressful.

If your wife likes to look around, well, she can pretty well forget about doing that. You also have to take additional care in where you position yourself on the road and be assiduous in calling and hand signalling pothole and other debris, as well as slowing and turning.

Is she getting tired at the end of a 60-miler because she is trying to keep up with you? You want to go a bit faster? Do you know the route you are using? Why not negotiate for you to do a barn-door sprint to the end, say from 10 miles out, and leave her to her own devices on speed and effort? You get what you want, she doesn't feel so physically stressed (or emotionally from drafting).
Old 07-31-13, 05:10 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
Drafting for recreational cyclists is dangerous.
You don't think it might depend on the cyclists? Last I looked, the words "recreational" and "incompetent" weren't actually synonymous.
Old 07-31-13, 05:14 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's not always about the rear rider, the front rider can be the reason why some riders don't want to draft. Some riders are all over the road, left, right, slow, fast and very inconsistent. I've been told many times that I am very steady and my wife loves to ride my wheel. MOF, most riders we ride with love to be behind me for that reason. Put another rider up front and a small group will get very disorganized.

I know a few couples that swear they ride well but don't. The front rider is very inconsistent and they have wrecked a few times, each blaming the other. There are some riders I feel comfy drafting at higher speeds and some that scare me to death at 14

I love this video. Gina could crank it up to 22-23 mph and stay on the wheels of these guys. An older gentleman Boyd at the earlier section of the video then a few forum members. These guys are nice and steady and as you can see in the video, Gina has no problem staying inches away from their wheels. There are many many riders we ride with where I insist Gina and I drop back for safety concerns.

Could it be the wife is not confident with the front rider? Communication would be a key factor in this situation, ask if maybe you are doing something wrong or scary. Again I say, too many riders don't know that they are inconsistent. I ask Gina all the time if I screwed up at certain points of the ride. It helps me keep it safe for later rides. I have seen some hubbies demand the wife take their wheel, I know I wouldn't and I'm not even married to them.

That is Gina second wheel and these guys are not doing 10 mph. But they are steady riders. Very few of the select riders I'll allow her to draft.

102409A by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Old 07-31-13, 05:25 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Now that I am thinking about it, has the OP even explained to his wife on how to draft safely? Which side, how far, watching pedals and calipers?
Old 07-31-13, 05:27 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Beanz is right about being steady. Holding a line is a skill that the front rider must cultivate. The bike's geometry has a role, but essentially weaving is bad. Higher cadence can play a role here as mashing does tend to upset the line of the bike.

Consistent speed is another factor that, if not maintained, can turn a two-person paceline into a lost cause. On the flats, maintain a speed that the person behind is happy with. Yo-yoing is really frustrating and dangerous. If you are riding into the wind, don't just speed up when the gusts subside. Headwinds and quartering winds also are difficult because the front rider can be moving about a bit, but also because there is a buffeting behind that person, and the following rider has to try to find the "sweet spot" where the buffeting is minimised.

Also, try rotating the paceline a bit, so the lead rider gets an idea of what the trailing rider is contending with. Try to maintain a negotiated speed throughout the rotation.

Also if you want to drink and you're out front, announce it so the trailing rider can drop behind slightly should you muck up. It's always best to drink when at the back, anyway. Hence rotating is a good idea. Same if you wish to coast and stand regularly. Announce anything that is not consistent pedalling.

It means concentrating all the time on what you are doing, checking the bike computer, what's going on around you, communicating with the other rider...
Old 07-31-13, 05:40 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Hop on my wheel, I'll break the wind" is probably not the correct words to use to get your wife to draft. lol As mentioned above, if you are a predictable rider, call out hazards and communicate through hand signals when slowing or sitting up, then she might begin to trust being in the draft. It takes time for anyone to settle in and not micro-manage while sitting in. Trust and predictability will get her started. Talk before the ride about what you will do in certain situations. Select a safe section of road to practice and then just finish the ride however. Try to lengthen the draft distance in subsequent rides. Be patient.
Old 07-31-13, 06:01 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
It's not always about the rear rider, the front rider can be the reason why some riders don't want to draft.
Bingo. If you want your wife to draft, you had better put in your roller time. A good wheel is inviting, a squirrel is not. In this age of power meters on everyone's bikes, far too few riders work on their form and it shows in the crashfests that racing at all levels has become. We used to have to watch the Cat 4 riders to see any blood; now it's everywhere.

As far as how far back your wife can be and still get a drafting benefit: forget about it. At your speeds, the benefit falls off pretty quickly with distance. By the time she is three feet back, it's pretty much gone.
Old 07-31-13, 06:29 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It means concentrating all the time on what you are doing, checking the bike computer, what's going on around you, communicating with the other rider...
This is why some of us don't like to draft. It is nice to look around and see the scenery.
I also have seen several crashes in pacelines on "recreational" rides. I know several people who have broken ribs, hips and collarbones in such crashes. If I were being paid, or even racing at an amateur level, I might feel differently.
Old 07-31-13, 06:35 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You should be glad your wife is riding period.She had a terrible crash. its always in her mind.It will take time.Be supportive.I think she is a trooper for getting back on the bike.My wife rides with me about 2 times a year.Be Happy for what you have.My 2 cents.Hope this helps I enjoy your posts!
Old 07-31-13, 07:42 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
Front wheel contact causes more fuss than rear wheel.
I'm not talking about the cause of the crash, simply the effect.
Old 07-31-13, 08:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
This captain prefers not to consider such a possibility.
Old 07-31-13, 08:04 PM
mkane77g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You don't think it might depend on the cyclists? Last I looked, the words "recreational" and "incompetent" weren't actually synonymous.
A crash in a paceline is not necessarily caused by incompetent riders. Paceline riding, IMO at the club level eventually leads to disaster.
Old 07-31-13, 08:11 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Get a tandem. A good one.

Make it all about her.

Worked for us.
Old 07-31-13, 08:16 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Drafting safely, IMHO, is an oxymoronic phrase. There are those who have crashed in a pace line and those who are going to.

Would you ride inches from another car at 20 mph? Is it legal to do so on a bicycle? I think we know the answers.
Old 07-31-13, 08:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've been cycling 30+ years, have surely drafted a few thousand miles, and at this point I am pretty much in agreement with your wife. I find cycling more enjoyable without all the baggage that goes with drafting. Even knowing the benefits, I'm uninterested.

A tandem can be a good solution, if your relationship is up to that degree of closeness and co-operation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.