Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titanium framesets without matching Titanium forks? Why was this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 11:58 AM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts

Most titanium framesets Ive seen came either with Carbon or Steel and some even Aluminum forks. Why didn't they just offer matching frame/fork as we see with many other steel/carbon/aluminum framesets? Was it the ride quality? Was it the money? Or were Titanium forks inferior to these other materials (doubt it) ?
Old 10-14-18, 12:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26420 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Most titanium framesets Ive seen came either with Carbon or Steel and some even Aluminum forks. Why didn't they just offer matching frame/fork as we see with many other steel/carbon/aluminum framesets? Was it the ride quality? Was it the money? Or were Titanium forks inferior to these other materials (doubt it) ?
...the first titanium bike frames like the Teledyne were pretty flexy. As people got better at using the material, the tubing diameters got larger and this problem got more or less solved. I suppose (but have no proof) that there were some issues with obtaining the material in fork type profiles (as were traditional in the steel fork genre). And then Al and CF materials came along in rapid succession. I'm sure you could probably make a fork out of titanium, but suspect it would be fugly, like a lot of the CF forks that have been fitted to titanium and steel frames.

All of this is speculation on my part, and if someone tells me I'm horribly wrong, I'm fine with it.
Old 10-14-18, 01:07 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
As an engineer, I would add that the stiffness of a titanium fork may have been too high and what you want from a front fork (and the rear fork too) is the ability to disperse the forces from a rough road and smooth out the ride. I guess my teeth might fall out if I rode a bike with titanium forks!
Old 10-14-18, 01:17 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by MezzoLew
As an engineer, I would add that the stiffness of a titanium fork may have been too high and what you want from a front fork (and the rear fork too) is the ability to disperse the forces from a rough road and smooth out the ride. I guess my teeth might fall out if I rode a bike with titanium forks!
I would think that the opposite would be true - the material would not be sufficiently stiff. I'm pretty sure titanium frames are lauded for having excellent resiliency similar to a steel ride. Some stronger riders might consider (earlier) titanium frames to be wet noodles. Titanium seatposts and stems are sometimes spec'd to soften the ride and mute buzzing.

It you type in Wittson into eBay, you will find some frames by Lithuanian custom titanium framebuilder Wittson. He had a several custom titanium forks on there. The road version costs over $1,100. Personally, I think having a titanium fork to go with my Wittson Illuminati titanium compact frame would be super cool.
Old 10-14-18, 01:22 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
@masi61 - thanks for your comments. I have not ridden a titanium bike as they are way beyond my budget but it would be interesting to compare one with a high quality steely framed bike.
Old 10-14-18, 01:25 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Might see one someday, I see cane creek has a new Ti crank out that is only slightly better looking than the vintage Monari Ti crank I had years ago.
Old 10-14-18, 01:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I owned a Teledyne back in the day.
Flexy, comfortable. It did "plane" in certain circumstances. A bit unnerving when braking hard, the wheelbase drastically shortened, like up to 15 mm. You got used to it.
Part of the lateral flex could have been the collared down downtube in two sections. I understand why they did it, but a significant compromise.
The fork... Too bad they did not think out of the box enough and just do a straight bladed fork. My thought the radius work hardened the tubes in the wrong place.
Could have used an 1 1/8" steerer, under the BB cable routing too... The engineers knew they had to increase the tube diameter to get reasonable stiffness... they had to tool up the fork crown anyway...
Tandem headsets did exist...

I do have a later brand X ti fork, a unicrown style creation, pretty terrific, but very limited tire size capable.
Old 10-14-18, 01:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've talked to Dave Levy, TiCycles, about this. Ti forks are quite doable, but to get adequate stiffness, the blade diameter has to be a real step bigger than steel and they will look a little clumsy. Also, at the moment, that tapered blade would need to be custom drawn, not a cheap option. He has built a ti MTB fork that is super light. Thin ti blades and even thinner front blades running to and tying into the stem to form a triangular truss. Radical. Limits what you can do with the stem. But really light, really stiff and strong.

It is my opinion that steel forks match ti frames feel-wise really well; that the twice as high modulus of elasticity (material stiffness) for the unsupported fork matches the fully supported ti frame tubes near perfectly. (Said as the owner of two steel forked ti bikes. I did a quick spin on a steel forked ti bike almost 30 years ago and my thought was "This is it! Make this a custom road bike for me and it cannot get any better." Had my doubts many times after I plunked down my money and waited for my first custom. But first ride? "Yeah!!" 10 years later and another ti bike, same answer.

Ben
Old 10-14-18, 01:41 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by repechage
Flexy, comfortable. It did "plane" in certain circumstances. A bit unnerving when braking hard, the wheelbase drastically shortened, like up to 15 mm. You got used to it.
Part of the lateral flex could have been the collared down downtube in two sections. I understand why they did it, but a significant compromise.
The fork... Too bad they did not think out of the box enough and just do a straight bladed fork. My thought the radius work hardened the tubes in the wrong place.
Could have used an 1 1/8" steerer, under the BB cable routing too... The engineers knew they had to increase the tube diameter to get reasonable stiffness... they had to tool up the fork crown anyway...

I do have a later brand X ti fork, a unicrown style creation, pretty terrific, but very limited tire size capable.
I test rode a friend's Telydyne Titan back in the late 1970's, all Campy equipped. The amount of front derailleur trim required with even the slightest amount of hill climbing was pretty laughable. I mean, it appeared that if you stood to climb in those racer gears with the corn cob freewheel, the bottom bracket flex was of the magnitude of almost an inch side to side. Or that was what if felt like. Even though my Masi Gran Criterium was quite a bit heavier, when I got back on it - it felt like an absolute crotch rocket in comparison. Ultimately sprintable, with seamless acceleration.

Today's titanium frames have come so far. My current titanium bike is a "Veritas" from about 15 years ago. The oversized tubes and the 1-1/8" carbon fork and the compact geometry make for a really tight, yet compliant ride.
Old 10-14-18, 01:48 PM
masi61

@masi61 - thanks for your comments. I have not ridden a titanium bike as they are way beyond my budget but it would be interesting to compare one with a high quality steely framed bike.
Used titanium frames seem like they would be worth pursuing since they can last a long, long time. Lots of Sevens, Litespeeds, Lynskeys, Merlins, and many other titanium makes come up on the used market all the time. Often times, the prices for the used frames are less than $1,000.
Old 10-14-18, 02:15 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

Never did understand why they "collared down" the down tube. Was it just to accommodate existing derailleur lever clamps and cable stops??
Not the wisest engineering solution, with the resulting compromise in frame stiffness and aesthetics....
Teledyne could have just made up custom clamps to adapt such components on to the frame..
Old 10-14-18, 02:54 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Titanium is hard to work with. If you want to shape a fork and not use tubing you need to hydroform it but titanium has a tendency to crack when shaping it. It used to be pretty damn difficult up until very recently (2012). There are a few companies that do build custom titanium forks but in most cases carbon fibre is simply more cost-effective.

Maybe we will see some more companies start offerering titanium forks but it will stay a bit of a rare sight.
Old 10-14-18, 03:58 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Never did understand why they "collared down" the down tube. Was it just to accommodate existing derailleur lever clamps and cable stops??
Not the wisest engineering solution, with the resulting compromise in frame stiffness and aesthetics....
Teledyne could have just made up custom clamps to adapt such components on to the frame..
I always thought this too, seemed like a really bad thing to do to the frame just fit a shifter band around it. Seems like it would've added a lot to the cost of the frame going the route they did, too.
Old 10-14-18, 04:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Yes, to fit the standard clampings, same reason the seat tube was standard diameter, not oversized as they knew it should have been.
Remember these were sold as frame sets, you or the selling shop built them up.
The advertising imagery showed Shimano fitted. Shimano did tool up for the oversized top tube cable clamps, sold Teledyne headsets and seat binder bolts.

If they had thought just a bit ahead to under the BB cable routing and been willing to attach Campagnolo style down tube cable bosses...
And figured out waterbottle attachment points... maybe a seat binding collar in aluminum instead of that minute welding, save that effort for the shifter bosses.

The collared down forming was impressive from a technical viewpoint- so was the fork curve. big beefy fork blades at the crown.

I had watched the prior construction of the Ti-22 Can Am car, so had listened intently to the designer and fabricators of that race car... I really felt ti was a potentially terrific frame material, but it guided one to design in a different way, exploit the material not kill it.
Old 10-14-18, 05:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Was a Colorado company getting a Russian Aerospace company to make frames

And forks ,

but the making a seamless tapered fork blade required the resources
of an aerospace aircraft component maker , in order to pull that off..

typically the smaller shops use straight tubing,
even cutting out sheet and welding it into a tapered blade,

would be more than you guys would be willing to pay.

And Teledyne used CP tube, that came from piping used in really caustic materials
that would react to and/or eat up any other metals ..

Now there is the alloys ( "3-2, 6-4" ) that have more useful properties..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-14-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 09:52 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
As Bob implied above, a lot of titanium tubing initially used in bicycle production was aerospace sourced. (Unverified rumor: this was the stuff that didn't pass inspection for aircraft use.) I remember seeing titanium-leg mountain bike forks in the early '90's, but building something that would look right on a road bike would be pretty tough. Even now they are pretty pricey: https://www.ebay.com/i/271143626844?chn=ps

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-15-18, 08:43 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Ti forks, flexy frames....

​​​​​​guess I am in for trouble....
Old 10-15-18, 09:07 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

The answer is the manufacturing costs and difficulty in working with ti vs. the benefit vs. steel/aluminum/carbon being fairly slight in a fork. Very few wanted to take on that project because few consumers would want to pay for it. This is a bit flexy on the front end, but not terribly so, and it's a QUICK climber.

They do exist...Panasonic made one with a ti fork...Fuji...

This one is a rather interesting example with ti fork, stem/bars (all one piece) and seat post.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-15-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 09:08 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Keep in mind that a Merlin frame in the early 90s, which is when ti got good IMO, ran over $3000! Double a De Rosa. They were already priced unobtanium...now add the cost of a ti fork!

Fork

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-15-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 10:30 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Buncha custom builders who make ti forks. Oddity, Black Sheep, Meriwether, Ti Cycles. For production bikes it would be a silly expense when there are so many great carbon fiber forks on the market.
Old 10-15-18, 11:10 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
for historical reference, here's an article from Bicycle Guide magazine about the legendary Teledyne Titan. This was published back in the 1989 when a much improved class of titanium frame was easy to purchase and carbon was becoming the new standard. (IIRC)

page 1:

page 2:

page 3:

page 4:

page 5:

page 6:

The Titan was quite a radical bike back in the 70's! In the days of lugged steel frames, this really stood out!

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-16-18, 12:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts