Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What will a new bike do for me?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What will a new bike do for me?

Old 08-25-20, 05:29 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
I have decided to wait to get a new bike until I know the limitations of my existing bike and I have the ability to test ride a variety of bikes of different types. Hopefully these two will come together at a similar time. For the riding I am doing now, my hybrid is perfect. Even if I get a road bike of some sort, I expect I will continue to ride my hybrid regularly.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 08-25-20, 05:31 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You are making a left brain/ right brain decision.

Pure left brain people see a bicycle as only a functional tool.
Pure right brain people see a bicycle as a toy.

Everybody draws the line between those two extremes differently. Have fun determining where your personal line is drawn.
Well said!!
Old 08-25-20, 05:34 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by BobbyG
It doesn't even need to bee a brand new bike. A "New to You" pre-owned can create excitement, too. Even just a mod. Over the last 23 years I have modified my 1997 Nishiki Blazer mountain-bike and each modification has produced varying levels of excitement in me, much to the annoyance of those on bikeforums, since I tend to over-share.

The four most exciting changes for me were studded snow tires, big fat slicks, and adding drop-bars and replacing the original cantilever brakes with V-brakes.

I would say these changes were on a par excitement-wise with acquiring a 16-year old road bike in 2009, and buying a brand new bike in 2015.

In my opinion, "rewarding" yourself by splurging on a new bike for having ridden is better than overspending on a new bike in hopes it will spark you to begin or increase riding, although whatever successfully gets you riding or keeps you riding is good in my book.
New to me used, mods and rewarding good behavior all are good suggestions.

I do not understand being annoyed with over-sharing. Those who enjoy hearing about the journey can read, those who do not are under no obligation to do so.
Old 08-25-20, 06:54 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Then there is always that new bike smell.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 08-25-20, 06:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I am shopping for a new bike. Currently leaning toward an endurance bike like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse.

I am riding a hybrid. It is comfortable on 40 mile rides. I am gradually increasing my distances.

Went on my first ride with a slow D group. No problem keeping up with those guys. Ride leader said he thought I would have no problem with the C group. But I would struggle in the B group.

I do not think a new bike would make the difference between being a C group rider and a B group rider. But I suspect it would help a bit.

Maybe a nicer, better fitting bike would be more comfortable.

And I think I would enjoy riding a higher quality bike, crisper shifting, smoother ride and I admit cooler. Maybe only cooler in my head, but that is really the only place it matters.

And I want a new toy.

Help me out here. I am working on rationalizing a splurge.....
Maybe it will boost your confidence in yourself so that in the future you can make a major purchase without the help of biased strangers
Old 08-25-20, 07:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I do not understand being annoyed with over-sharing. Those who enjoy hearing about the journey can read, those who do not are under no obligation to do so.

Welcome to bikeforums.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-25-20, 09:40 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
Pushing harder will make you faster. You can push the same on a lighter bike and be faster. Some will be a lot faster just from gearing and rolling resistance, especially down hill. Fast is fun but also more dangerous and requiring better balance and cycling skills than slow. Just have as much fun as you can without killing yourself or anyone else because you out funned your skill set.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 08-25-20, 10:03 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Going from an upright hybrid to any equal quality drop bar road bike will get you significant aero gains, assuming you drop/slam the stem, and then ride in the drops as soon as you hit 17+ mph. You'll probably gain several MPH's at the same power output, which isn't a big deal if riding solo, but it's huge if you're trying to keep up with others on drop bars. It will also help you to achieve longer distances, by using less energy to go the same speeds as with the hybrid.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-25-20, 12:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
It is indeed possible that some will want to follow your "journey." BF has anticipated this and provides the Blogger's section.https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-forum/ You can maintain a thread there with your daily musings, whatever you like. It's good BF etiquette and makes it easy for those who wish to follow.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-25-20, 12:04 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A new bike will make you witty, urbane, and a hit with the ladies. Ask me how I know this...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-25-20, 12:08 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It is indeed possible that some will want to follow your "journey." BF has anticipated this and provides the Blogger's section.https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-forum/ You can maintain a thread there with your daily musings, whatever you like. It's good BF etiquette and makes it easy for those who wish to follow.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Although I still do not get how it is annoying. I have participated in many threads in a variety of forums that have gone off on tangents I was not interested in so I unsubscribed and did not have to pay any attention.

Last edited by Sorg67; 08-25-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 01:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Although I still do not get how it is annoying.
Nowadays many people live for a chance to be annoyed---or rather, many people have made such a hash of their lives by not taking the time to figure out what really matters to them and structuring their lives around solid personal values instead of getting jerked around by the latest, loudest voice int eh room .... than many people are filled with rage and confusion,a nd are always looking for a reason to vent which won't get them to o many attacks in response.

Here on BF, slavering rage is hard to muster or maintain---it is a cool forum (by Marshall McLuhan terminology) and extremes of rage are hard to communicate and thus hard to sustain. Annoyance, however .... is a slightly more intellectualized form of anger and confusion, and of course, people who are confused and insecure look for any chance to bring down or look down on others ....

As you note, the sensible option is not to read threads one doesn't enjoy reading. But ... some folks enjoy having an outlet, a "reason" to vent ... so they tell other people to write what those "irritated" posters want to read (which is a Catch-22 because what they want is to be irritated and to vent) and complain that others are not complying (when they actually are, by posting at all.)

Best bet is to stick around long enough to know who has what good and bad tendencies, and when you realize "Oh, Poster X is going off on his "irritation" rant again," or whatever ... you skip that post and get on doing what you think it best.

Ignore the noise and keep generating signal.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-25-20, 01:31 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I went from a "fast" hybrid to a drop bar bike a couple of years ago. Like you, I could hang with a lot of the local road rides. The deciding factor for me was fighting the wind. I ride mostly solo and the wind would beat me up. Being able to get in the drops with elbows tucked in comfortably made a huge difference on those days of miles riding into it.

I would suggest that when you do pull the trigger on a new bike. Get the shop to throw in a bike fit.
Old 08-25-20, 01:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Although I still do not get how it is annoying. I have participated in many threads in a variety of forums that have gone off on tangents I was not interested in so I unsubscribed and did not have to pay any attention.
When starting a new thread I feel responsible for making sure it has a clear title. Beyond that, it's on whoever chooses to open it up.
Old 11-13-20, 05:25 PM
Sorg67

I bought a Specialized Diverge Sport Carbon. It makes me smile.

I ride on the drops more than I thought I would. Helps into a head wind. And I like it for a different position.
Old 11-13-20, 08:37 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts

I ride on the drops more than I thought I would. Helps into a head wind. And I like it for a different position.

Nice !
Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-24-20, 12:46 AM
Boraxo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
the original question is spot on for me! For several years I have considering an upgrade to a dedicated road bike. While I love my Trek 730 hybrid, I’m almost 3 decades older LOL and would like something lighter & faster for the uphill sectors. Plus I do zero off road biking so really don’t need the hybrid weight. But it is near impossible to test drive anything now with inventory out of stock.

Originally Posted by Riveting
Going from an upright hybrid to any equal quality drop bar road bike will get you significant aero gains, assuming you drop/slam the stem, and then ride in the drops as soon as you hit 17+ mph. You'll probably gain several MPH's at the same power output, which isn't a big deal if riding solo, but it's huge if you're trying to keep up with others on drop bars. It will also help you to achieve longer distances, by using less energy to go the same speeds as with the hybrid.
Originally Posted by Razorrock
I went from a "fast" hybrid to a drop bar bike a couple of years ago. Like you, I could hang with a lot of the local road rides. The deciding factor for me was fighting the wind. I ride mostly solo and the wind would beat me up. Being able to get in the drops with elbows tucked in comfortably made a huge difference on those days of miles riding into it.

I would suggest that when you do pull the trigger on a new bike. Get the shop to throw in a bike fit.
Really helpful thanks. To me this would justify the expense of replacing a beloved companion that isn’t broken.

I am currently looking at a 57cm Felt VR60 or Tomasso Imola - both have similar price and specs and are a few lbs lighter than my Trek.

But I’m wondering what I would get by upgrading from the $1k range above to something in the $2k range. I am more interested in ease of ride and comfort than speed or looks.
Old 11-24-20, 06:36 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts
In the meantime, I will put clipless pedals on my hybrid and get used to riding with those. I am considering some narrower tires. I might replace the suspension forks with fixed forks. Also considering replace the handlebars with carbon. It will be interesting to see how much I can improve my existing bike.
That sounds like a lot of money you'd be better just putting into a road bike!

So it sounds like you're on a mountain bike style hybrid with flat bars and front suspension? You'll find a road bike with dropped bars quite different initially (very twitchy at the front) but it should let you get into a lower position which is better for drag/power, will be a lot lighter (especially if you get a carbon front fork), and you won't lose energy due to the suspension bounce.

Go for it
Old 11-24-20, 06:52 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I am shopping for a new bike. Currently leaning toward an endurance bike like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse.

I am riding a hybrid. It is comfortable on 40 mile rides. I am gradually increasing my distances.

Went on my first ride with a slow D group. No problem keeping up with those guys. Ride leader said he thought I would have no problem with the C group. But I would struggle in the B group.

I do not think a new bike would make the difference between being a C group rider and a B group rider. But I suspect it would help a bit.

Maybe a nicer, better fitting bike would be more comfortable.

And I think I would enjoy riding a higher quality bike, crisper shifting, smoother ride and I admit cooler. Maybe only cooler in my head, but that is really the only place it matters.

And I want a new toy.

Help me out here. I am working on rationalizing a splurge.....

Don't limit yourself to those brands. Consider also, Felt, Look, Scott, and Pinarello

The bikes you mentioned are in very short supply because they are from very visible brands but maybe not the best.
Old 11-24-20, 09:17 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Answering the original question in the thread title: A new bike will do nothing for you. You're the one who gets to do all the doing. Perhaps you might find some of it a bit more enjoyable though.
Old 11-24-20, 09:26 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
We do like pics here (hint, hint). Just like when you buy a new car; gotta get a pic before it gets dirty!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-25-20, 07:51 AM
rogertc1

Bikes: Bianchi Campe D'Italian 84, Trek custom by me touring bike- 1986. Plus another 8/9 in my collection

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anew bike will take away 10 years.
Old 02-16-21, 11:50 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by subgrade
Answering the original question in the thread title: A new bike will do nothing for you. You're the one who gets to do all the doing. Perhaps you might find some of it a bit more enjoyable though.
I bit more enjoyable is doing a lot. And that is what it has done. It is fun to ride. I cannot really tell whether it makes me any faster or not. Maybe faster acceleration and faster up hills. Maybe also faster into headwinds. But none of that matters much to me. Most of the people I ride with are slower than me so being a little faster only means I get less of a workout with the guys I have been riding with. However, I am going to ride with a new group and I think they may be a bit faster than me so might help there.

Mostly it is just a cool toy I like. Kids are grown and out of the house, driving a 13 year old car and not planning to replace it any time soon. I can afford to splurge on a bicycle.
Old 02-16-21, 12:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I cannot really tell whether it makes me any faster or not.
When I bought a new bike, for about the first month I had it I was convinced it was faster than my other one. The bike computer even agreed with me; it wasn't just my imagination! Then I realized I'd saved the wheel diameter wrong and the computer was giving me an extra 1 or 2 MPH at all times.... Such a let down!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-16-21, 12:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,016 Times in 3,792 Posts
I bit more enjoyable is doing a lot. And that is what it has done. It is fun to ride. I cannot really tell whether it makes me any faster or not. Maybe faster acceleration and faster up hills. Maybe also faster into headwinds. But none of that matters much to me. Most of the people I ride with are slower than me so being a little faster only means I get less of a workout with the guys I have been riding with. However, I am going to ride with a new group and I think they may be a bit faster than me so might help there.

Mostly it is just a cool toy I like. Kids are grown and out of the house, driving a 13 year old car and not planning to replace it any time soon. I can afford to splurge on a bicycle.
Sounds to me like you are doing it exactly right.

I recently retired my old bike and got something much newer. It has made me 0% faster...and that's just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.