Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

can heavier bike be faster,?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

can heavier bike be faster,?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 07:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Unless you're climbing 10,000 ft.
no mountains for that thing.....but I have done neighborhood rides on it at about 85ft/mi at 20mph+ before. My double setup is a 56/42. 42/30 is more than enough for most hills here. 56 means I can do 95rpm downhill at a solid speed.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-29-21, 07:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A few years ago, a European bike racing magazine lent 1980s-era steel racing bikes to three strong young racers and asked them to compare those bikes to their own high-end carbon bikes. The riders reported that they enjoyed the way the bikes rode except for descending the local passes, where they found the bikes to be too difficult to control at speed.
Sure. But compare those Merckx team frames to other steel frames of the era...
Old 03-29-21, 07:51 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I'm no physicist, but... a body in motion tends to stay in motion, so once up to speed, and on level ground, you're pedaling just to overcome the rolling resistance of the bike plus the air resistance. The weight of the bike (and rider) is irrelevant.
Old 03-29-21, 08:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception." - Aldous Huxley
Break on through to the other side.
Old 03-29-21, 08:56 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'm no physicist, but... a body in motion tends to stay in motion, so once up to speed, and on level ground, you're pedaling just to overcome the rolling resistance of the bike plus the air resistance. The weight of the bike (and rider) is irrelevant.
you may want to look a little harder at rolling resistance.
Old 03-29-21, 10:24 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
try riding an old track bike with chrome handlebars and stem and steel cranks. when you get on it from a dead stop that darn thing moves,

theory is ok, experiments are better, if you like to climb out of the saddle, then a stiffer frame is going to be an advantage.
been there with the vitus on old la honda road, moody road to skyline, rather have a steel frame or those hills,

phyisics? i was alright, was better at calculus,

Last edited by cjenrick; 03-29-21 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 10:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
love my light stiff carbon bike with compact cranks however my ti bike with full sized old school 52 x 42 cranks just feels faster..i feel i even climb better

not sure if Real but feels true...
Are the fits identical? If not, and the ti bike is indeed faster, you now have real info on what works for your body. Think about it. Bike weight differences matter to the tune of the bike's weight plus your weight. 2 pounds of bike weight is 2 pounds in what? say 190 pounds of you and bike or barely over 1%. But slightly different position on the bikes? That could be like slightly tweaking the stroke on a race car engine and the difference could be a lot more. There could also be an aero difference if the two bikes have different levels of comfort..
Old 03-29-21, 11:08 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
another benefit of a stiffer frame is you can launch an attack on a steep climb without false shifting.

with the vitus carbone, there was no way i could climb out of the saddle on redwood gulch rd where it is 18 percent i had to use a smooth pedal stroke to keep from dogging down into a bigger gear. if someone goes by you have to let him go til you reach hwy 9. then you could put the hurt on them with the weight savings.

i saw a guy enter the cats hill criterium on a vitus, and i am thinkin to myself, good luck buddy, i did not see him cross the finish line.

so i avoiding mis-shifts can be considered faster, then a heavier frame can sure be faster.

Last edited by cjenrick; 03-29-21 at 11:22 PM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 03-30-21, 09:52 AM
Random11

Originally Posted by asgelle
you may want to look a little harder at rolling resistance.
Enlighten me as to what I'm missing...
Old 03-30-21, 10:38 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Enlighten me as to what I'm missing...
He's surely referring to the basic equation for rolling resistance, which is proportional to weight.

On topic I think there is a specific case where the heavier bike - other things equal - may be faster on a closed loop course. It might be too much a can of worms to go into here though.
Old 03-30-21, 02:17 PM
Difficultocelot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everything equal a heavier bike would be faster on downhill, but slower uphill and flat since there is more mass to move. if things weren't equal, it would depend on rolling resistance, drag, and other factors.
Old 03-30-21, 02:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Difficultocelot
Everything equal a heavier bike would be faster on downhill, but slower uphill and flat since there is more mass to move. if things weren't equal, it would depend on rolling resistance, drag, and other factors.
Speed will also depend on the angular momentum of the wheels which complicates your otherwise correct description.
Old 03-30-21, 07:50 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Difficultocelot
Everything equal a heavier bike would be faster on downhill,..
Is this true? Gravity certainly assists when going downhill, but doesn't gravity have the same effect on objects regardless of their weight? Gravity accelerates falling bodies at 9.8 meters per second per second regardless of their weight (in the absence of air resistance). Is this any different for a bicycle rolling downhill? Wouldn't gravity have the same effect on lighter bikes as heavier bikes?
Old 03-30-21, 07:53 PM
asgelle

Wouldn't gravity have the same effect on lighter bikes as heavier bikes?
What are the units of acceleration? How about force?
Old 03-30-21, 07:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
A bike is only as fast (or slow) as the rider on it.
Old 03-30-21, 07:59 PM
Koyote

This assumes that you are maintaining a perfectly constant speed...Which is impossible. Even a ride such as the one you describe is a series frequent deccelerations and accelerations. It happens due to your pedal stroke, shifting, drinking, the wind, changes in posture, tiny changes in terrain and grade, etc etc etc.

tl;dr: you have hypothesized a ride that has never happened in the history of bicycles.
Old 03-30-21, 09:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
This assumes that you are maintaining a perfectly constant speed...Which is impossible. Even a ride such as the one you describe is a series frequent deccelerations and accelerations. It happens due to your pedal stroke, shifting, drinking, the wind, changes in posture, tiny changes in terrain and grade, etc etc etc.

tl;dr: you have hypothesized a ride that has never happened in the history of bicycles.
Actually, that pretty much described a velodrome time trial.
Old 03-30-21, 09:29 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Actually, that pretty much described a velodrome time trial.
That occurred to me… But I suspect that, even then, the speed is not perfectly constant.
Old 03-30-21, 09:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Is this true? Gravity certainly assists when going downhill, but doesn't gravity have the same effect on objects regardless of their weight? Gravity accelerates falling bodies at 9.8 meters per second per second regardless of their weight (in the absence of air resistance). Is this any different for a bicycle rolling downhill? Wouldn't gravity have the same effect on lighter bikes as heavier bikes?
Bikes don't operate in the absence of air resistance.
Old 03-30-21, 09:59 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Bikes don't operate in the absence of air resistance.
But the gravitational force is the same in vacuum or through a medium.
Old 03-30-21, 10:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
But the gravitational force is the same in vacuum or through a medium.
Yes, but the gravitational force on a heavy bike is greater than the gravitational force on a light bike. A heavy bike and a light bike accelerate under gravity at the same rate initially, but they (usually) start to deviate once the speed is high enough that air resistance comes into play.
Old 03-30-21, 10:44 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
If a bicycle is heavier but otherwise identical, then the force and power that it receives from gravity while going downhill is greater relative to its aerodynamic drag. So for a given steady downhill effort, a rider will be able to sustain slightly higher speeds. It's similar to the issue of terminal velocity for objects falling in atmosphere.

Yes, although a heavy bike should theoretically reduce the magnitude of the microaccelerations.
Old 03-30-21, 11:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That occurred to me… But I suspect that, even then, the speed is not perfectly constant.
Of course no ride would be PERFECTLY constant, but the question is if it is constant ENOUGH to make weight negligible. I know that time trial setups often favor aerodynamics over light weight, but yeah I guess the added weight itself wouldn't be considered an advantage.
Old 03-31-21, 05:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Of course no ride would be PERFECTLY constant, but the question is if it is constant ENOUGH to make weight negligible. I know that time trial setups often favor aerodynamics over light weight, but yeah I guess the added weight itself wouldn't be considered an advantage.
Czech pro rider Oskar Sosenka set a new world hour record in 2005 using a 3.2-kg rear wheel. The complete bike weighed 9.8 kg.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-31-21, 10:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception." - Aldous Huxley
There are known knowns, known unknowns, unknown unknowns, and Donald Rumsfeld.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.